2004 Standard to Historic 59 lookalike and Custombuckers, are they worth it?

Reaction score
Hopefully not cork sniffing, but have a 2004 LP Standard with the 50s neck, nicely cracking paint, looks nice and aged, feels so nice to play. Since the Historics and newer R9s here in Australia are really pricey (can buy 3 other LPs for one 59) so thought I would spend a couple of bucks by replacing pickup rings, truss rod cover, knobs, switch plate and tip to look more 59ish, I put the adr1 style in place of the Nashville, and got rid of the BB Pros and crappy wiring it had and replaced with complete wiring from new standard 50s with Burstbuckers, made huge improvement. Would I benefit from Custombuckers or just get better wiring for Burstbuckers and maybe A3 magnet swap? I moslty like to play harder rocking blues, newer sounding ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Thanks

AJK1

Reaction score
There’s plenty of pickups better than Burstbuckers
Whatever you get, I’d make sure they are Unpotted for that full Vintage flavour

ARandall

Reaction score
And if you're wanting Custom Buckers, for that same money you could get any winder to make a set that would be just what you want rather than taking potluck on what has been a fairly inconsistent pickup set.

Reaction score
And if you're wanting Custom Buckers, for that same money you could get any winder to make a set that would be just what you want rather than taking potluck on what has been a fairly inconsistent pickup set.
Been hearing about inconsistencies, thats a worry because they are pricey,

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, have at it. Especially on a guitar you love. I took my 2014 and made some changes, took out PCB and changed to 50's wiring with Orange Drop capacitors as well as took out 57 Classics and put BB 2/3's in it. Changed the DB Boost switch to a Kill Switch. Love it even more now.

Before

gibsonlpsig6.jpg

After
lpsignewpups2.jpg

Reaction score
Yep, have at it. Especially on a guitar you love. I took my 2014 and made some changes, took out PCB and changed to 50's wiring with Orange Drop capacitors as well as took out 57 Classics and put BB 2/3's in it. Changed the DB Boost switch to a Kill Switch. Love it even more now.

Before

View attachment 648224

After
View attachment 648225
what was main difference in sound between 57s and BB 2 and 3

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
My 2010 Trad Pro came with a 57 Classic in the neck and BB3 in bridge, and I really like that pair together. I wouldn't even consider removal. I only mention this since it seems that you already have a BB3 in the bridge. A single 57 Classic in the neck might be all you are really looking for, and it really works really well with what you already got. Just a thought ... And, yes, making minor changes like pickup rings, truss rod cover, knobs, switch plate and tip to look how you want is the way to go, in my book. All the parts can be reversed and placed in the guitar case to always go with the guitar regardless.

Mr French

Reaction score
Just a fyi, Gibson now sells CustomBuckers on their website.

drivers1959

Reaction score
Hopefully not cork sniffing, but have a 2004 LP Standard with the 50s neck, nicely cracking paint, looks nice and aged, feels so nice to play. Since the Historics and newer R9s here in Australia are really pricey (can buy 3 other LPs for one 59) so thought I would spend a couple of bucks by replacing pickup rings, truss rod cover, knobs, switch plate and tip to look more 59ish, I put the adr1 style in place of the Nashville, and got rid of the BB Pros and crappy wiring it had and replaced with complete wiring from new standard 50s with Burstbuckers, made huge improvement. Would I benefit from Custombuckers or just get better wiring for Burstbuckers and maybe A3 magnet swap? I moslty like to play harder rocking blues, newer sounding ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Thanks

drivers1959

Reaction score
some of the artist you mentioned , like billy gibbons..and Joe Bonamassa have their own pups which you can buy if you like their sound..seymour duncan has a website where you can hear different sounding pups which may help you decide..but like Clint Eastwood said.."a man's got to know his limitation"..best luck..btw - i have sevral different jb pups in my guitars..an Ephiphone Amos which i installed jb amos pups,..and i also have a 59 reissue with his pups..and hers is his Gibson #034 relic i got as well..they all sound killer..also the upgrade wiring is a huge benefit..best luck

BluesDudeAK

Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said, don't limit yourself to Custombuckers. RS Guitarworks should be having a BF sale pretty soon and carries a line of really nice aged Fralin pickups. I've personally only tried the True 60's which are excellent but the PAF's might be more your style. Lots of other options out there and you can always replace the covers with aged ones to match your guitar.

LesPauloholic

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. Yes, have fun with it, and select pickups that suit your style.

DBDM

Reaction score
In my opinion, it is very difficut for many makers to do better than Seymour Duncan. If sending out random mayday advice in humbuckers, it would be check out S.D.
Not saying there are no others nor that the stock Gibson pickups you have are not great but if you are intent on changing, check out SD.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
what was main difference in sound between 57s and BB 2 and 3
The 57's are a bit bright for my taste, I like them in an SG Standard for that sweet AC/DC tone. The BB 2/3's are just a nice smooth well-rounded tone to my ears when you have the height adjusted right, pretty close to SD Slash pickups, but have a bit more to give you a hotter tone.

jeffy

Reaction score
I say go ahead. I've been modding my 2012 since I got it new. It's had a lot of changes done over the years. Swapped the magnets out of the BBPro's for A2's, PIO caps, '50s wiring, then a set of Skatterbrane pickups, Converted the Fat-Taps to splits. Then finally removed it all and went Jonesy pots, jack, switch, NOS Russian caps, and SD RetroSpec Antiquities. Changed the plastics to historic as well. I probably should have bought a G0 for all the time and money I spent but I do like my 2012.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
100%
I’ve had ten different custom shop reissues. Some custombuckers were awesome, some ok, and some ick! IMO! The guitars with the pick ups I didn’t like, I put wolf tone Marshallhead Bridge pick ups. Usually I keep the stock neck pickups, but a couple I did replace with either Marshallhead neck, or their doctor vintage neck. If you’re looking more for that classic PAF, his Dr vintage maybe more up your alley: I prefer the Marshallhead though

Latest Threads