2004 Historic R9, difference from 2018 R9?

hanban

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering a purchase of a 2004 R9, looks like a good top on this one. I have not played it yet, will have a chance to do so probably later this week.

however, I was looking for some info regarding the R9 2004 specs. good/bad guitars can be found on any year, but putting that aside, what are the cons in purchasing a 2004 R9 vs a 2018 r9 specs wise? what am I missing out when getting 2004?

here's a picture of the 2004, what do you guys think about the top?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I think bottom line would be... if possible, play both... that’s the real decider. Unless specs on paper matter.. I don’t think you would be disappointed in either but that’s me.. I haven’t played a ton of them but the ones I have... they were fantastic.

Last edited:

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
There’s some extremely knowledgeable guys on here that can help decipher the production year variations that will likely chime in to help..

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
2004 will have Madagascar rosewood fretboard,... body neck would be Honduras mahogany (not the Fiji mahogany like used today if that matters) and the placement of the pickups is about 1/8th of an inch closer to each other.... and list of items like the nut type and tuners and other plastics..truss rod condom... burstbucker pickups......no Hide glue construction all Titebond. A lot of stuff.

I have a 2004 R7 and i love it to death.... just my opinion.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering a purchase of a 2004 R9, looks like a good top on this one. I have not played it yet, will have a chance to do so probably later this week.

however, I was looking for some info regarding the R9 2004 specs. good/bad guitars can be found on any year, but putting that aside, what are the cons in purchasing a 2004 R9 vs a 2018 r9 specs wise? what am I missing out when getting 2004?

here's a picture of the 2004, what do you guys think about the top?

View attachment 399316
The top is very busy,.... i like it and the color too.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not my kind of top but I'm sure I'm in the minority

ARandall

Reaction score
The look of the top is all we can comment on.

Personally I like the more unusual tops (like this one) that stray far from the generic boring straight lines that most seem to ogle over.

But I hope you're not going to base your purchase on what other people think rather than what you consider attractive. That indeed would be a sad state of affairs

none2low

Reaction score
tnx for feedback all, i guess i will be missing hide glue and true histric plastics.. but depends how it plays.
It's a nice looking R9. Top is a little busy for my taste, but many people like these types.

Keep in mind that plastics and hardware can be changed. With regard to hide glue... You'll need to decide if it's that important to you.

IMO - It'd be impossible to attribute any tonal differences between two guitars as being the difference between tite-bond and hide glue.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Its is easy to understand why many (most) folks would really dig that top. But it's not particularly "vintage" looking. And on Reissues I like them to have more of a vintage character. But like @Crotch I'm probably in the minority. Still, if you dig it, that's all that matters. It's definitely cool. :cool:

KS 5150

Reaction score
Love that top! I really like unique tops on R9's, & feel they separate them from the average :thumb:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Not a fan but I am not you. Buy what you like and don't worry about what others think.

hackenfort

Reaction score
Beautiful hunk of Maple. Not preference for a Les Paul. But more a prsy