2003 Silverburst Sam Ash Special

deeno11

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I finally scored my first Gibson les paul custom. Kind of a big deal for me because I've wanted one for over 18 years. I scored this 2003 silverburst for $2,000. I definitely feel like I got a good deal. That being said, can anyone tell me how many of these were made? And were they made in the custom shop? The back of the body and neck is all black, I'm assuming it's a tribute to one of the original models in the 70s. I will upload photos shortly, (its early here and too dark to take photos) as always, I appreciate the help thanks!

Saiko

Reaction score
Congrats, I love the silverburst finish; can't wait for the pics!

Sam Ash Guitars

Reaction score
Greetings! This is a really great guitar. I have one as well... with not one but two headstock repairs... but I love it nonetheless. So, what’s the story with this guitar? At the time Sam Ash had them made Tool was HUGE. The Les Paul Custom was not made in the Custom Shop yet but rather at USA. There were a few hundred made and the solid black back and sides brought this in at a nice price. I’ve tried to get another run at a discounted rate but that was a different time... nowadays they are Custom Shop and there is no discount from the fully silverbursted model.

Phew! I hope that wasn’t too much.

Left Paw

Reaction score
If you really like the guitar, then the 'deal' part becomes much less important.

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
For 2k I'd have snapped that up too. Where in the world did you find it so cheap?

danny

Reaction score
Here she is guys. I added the pickguard.
OK WE WANT MORE!!!! EVERY PIECE OF THAT GUITAR lol!!!!
WEIGHT?
PICKUPS?
ANY INFO ON THE NECK PROFILE?
I WANT TO KNOW HOW CLOSE THIS ONE IS TO THE ORIGINAL?
I AM LUCKY PERSON TO HAVE ONE A 1980 AND FEELS AMAZING HAS A T-TOPS THE NECK PICK UP ITS JUST PERFECT FOR CLEANS I DONT LIKE THAT MUCH THE BRIDGE PICK UP FOR METAL BUT NOT BAD EITHER!!!View attachment 331010
IMG_0169.JPG

deeno11

Reaction score
There Is a high end music shop about 30 minutes north of me. I had been in the market for a custom but the price had to be right. I was looking for the right one, not just anyone. So I called the shop, spoke to the owner, when I showed up they had 3 customs set aside for me to play in the amp room by myself. They locked the door and told me to take my time. I brought cash with me. Got talking to the owner about how when i had started my landscaping company I was forced to sell off a large part of my collection (mostly usa jacksons and charvels) but he sympathized with me, and told me he'd let the silverburst go for $2K cash. He is a great guy with a great reputation. Its worth mentioning that the other 2 he set aside for me were norlins, but I just didnt bond with them. Imagine my surprise when i got home and opened the case to find that the original pickups were in the storage place in the guitar case. Apparently the previous owner put a BB2 in the bridge and a BB3 in the neck. That was sort of the icing on the cake for me. 2 sets of gibson pickups and the guitar for 2K with the original case. The thing is mint. But the money isnt important. I bonded with it and that's all the really matters to me.

danny

Reaction score
There Is a high end music shop about 30 minutes north of me. I had been in the market for a custom but the price had to be right. I was looking for the right one, not just anyone. So I called the shop, spoke to the owner, when I showed up they had 3 customs set aside for me to play in the amp room by myself. They locked the door and told me to take my time. I brought cash with me. Got talking to the owner about how when i had started my landscaping company I was forced to sell off a large part of my collection (mostly usa jacksons and charvels) but he sympathized with me, and told me he'd let the silverburst go for $2K cash. He is a great guy with a great reputation. Its worth mentioning that the other 2 he set aside for me were norlins, but I just didnt bond with them. Imagine my surprise when i got home and opened the case to find that the original pickups were in the storage place in the guitar case. Apparently the previous owner put a BB2 in the bridge and a BB3 in the neck. That was sort of the icing on the cake for me. 2 sets of gibson pickups and the guitar for 2K with the original case. The thing is mint. But the money isnt important. I bonded with it and that's all the really matters to me.

wowwww that a plus right there !!!! BB's!!! I thought they ony put T-tops or Tim Shaws !!! what year is it? how much weight ? I been asking everybody how much weigh beacuse I have never heard of i silverburst no more that 10 pounds mine its 9.25!!!!
my other black custom weights around 12.25 and has low bottom end that I love but I think the pick ups hasto do with too! and by the way I love your story how you pick that guitar!

Last edited:

deeno11

Reaction score
I will put her on the scale when I get home and report back to you. It is a 2003. Neck is pretty fat.
wowwww that a plus right there !!!! BB's!!! I thought they ony put T-tops or Tim Shaws !!! what year is it? how much weight ? I been asking everybody how much weigh beacuse I have never heard of i silverburst no more that 10 pounds mine its 9.25!!!!
my other black custom weights around 12.25 and has low botom end that i love but i think the pick ups hasto do with too! and by the way I love your story how you pick that guitar!

danny

Reaction score
I will put her on the scale when I get home and report back to you. It is a 2003. Neck is pretty fat.
woow !!!!! my neck its very thin and has the low profile frets plays like a dream!

Ibycan

Reaction score
I thought the sam Ash run was a rimburst not tearburst, I have a LPC just like yours from 2003 and it is a production LPC , magical guitar for sure

deeno11

Reaction score
This is definitely from the limited run. It just weighed in at 10.5 pounds on the scale! I'm assuming these are not weight relieved

deeno11

Reaction score
Also, I hate the burstbuckers. Will be putting the factory PUPs in next string change.