2003 Les Paul Standard Plus

Burty459

Reaction score
Well, after deciding to sell on my R9 (which is for sale still), I have settled on this gem.

Probably payed the higher end of the spectrum for it but it really is in nice condition. I chose to go for one of the early 2000’s because they generally got a good rep on here from owners. Must say, the little things that have bugged me in the past are not there. Neck binding is smooth and almost feels rolled, also doesn’t seem as thick as some have but maybe that’s just me, no file marks, nice smooth board, in general a really nicely finished USA model. One piece body, nice weight, really happy.

I swapped out the bridge for a Faber ABRL and used the iNsert kit, new tail piece and studs, removed the pickup covers, changed the pickup rings and truss cover for historic spec (just loved these from the historics).

So yeah, just thought I’d share, fancy some double creams in there but not sure where I’m going with those just yet, maybe some Mules? Dimarzio Paf in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge? What do you guys think? Any recommendations for the UK buyers?

Cheers team.

7A3293C7-6B4A-436E-A3F2-BA158BCC6B6A.jpeg
E93E59EF-DD82-45C1-B108-AAEE550711FE.jpeg
80D79928-783D-4279-9EA8-963A253F7423.jpeg

BigTim

Reaction score
Well, after deciding to sell on my R9 (which is for sale still), I have settled on this gem.

Probably payed the higher end of the spectrum for it but it really is in nice condition. I chose to go for one of the early 2000’s because they generally got a good rep on here from owners. Must say, the little things that have bugged me in the past are not there. Neck binding is smooth and almost feels rolled, also doesn’t seem as thick as some have but maybe that’s just me, no file marks, nice smooth board, in general a really nicely finished USA model. One piece body, nice weight, really happy.

I swapped out the bridge for a Faber ABRL and used the iNsert kit, new tail piece and studs, removed the pickup covers, changed the pickup rings and truss cover for historic spec (just loved these from the historics).

So yeah, just thought I’d share, fancy some double creams in there but not sure where I’m going with those just yet, maybe some Mules? Dimarzio Paf in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge? What do you guys think? Any recommendations for the UK buyers?

Cheers team.

View attachment 359180 View attachment 359181 View attachment 359182

The top on this one looks so nice and I love the amber looking clear coat too. Very nice guitar. Happy for you!!!

Burty459

Reaction score
Cheers guys, it’s a great guitar! Has “TA” and “LP+5” in the pickup cavities so assuming it’s the 50’s neck and trans amber.

SWEET!! 50s or 60s neck? I've got an 04 Standard with 60s neck. Nice guit.
The neck is to my feel quite slim, for a 50’s neck I actually expected a bit more heft but it’s realy comfortable.

Wailing

Reaction score
Great geeetar you have there... I usually prefer bursts but that colour looks excellent... I have a 2002 Standard that is definitely my No1 and a keeper... completely standard and sounds and plays well... Mine has a one piece back as well...did Gibson come by a large batch of wide mahogany for some reason ?

lakeburst

Reaction score
Thats a very nice guitar you got there :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Congrats & HNGD! :applause:

Burty459

Reaction score
Great geeetar you have there... I usually prefer bursts but that colour looks excellent... I have a 2002 Standard that is definitely my No1 and a keeper... completely standard and sounds and plays well... Mine has a one piece back as well...did Gibson come by a large batch of wide mahogany for some reason ?
Morning, and thanks, it’s a little more amber in the right light.

Not too sure about the one piece backs, from what I have found in here, after the pancake bodies they were more often than not one piece, that seemed to change around mid 2000’s. Many members here seem to think that the early 2000’s were a return to form of sorts.

anorton

Reaction score
That’s a pretty guitar. Congratulations and happy new guitar day!

InvalidUserName

Reaction score
HNGD! Very nice, love the finish. Mine's an '03 Standard in Lightburst, and one of the nicest guitars I've played. Hope you have much fun with yours.

rdbear7d

Reaction score
Very nice LP..I think a pickguard would look hot on that baby..but either way, awesome looking axe..gorgeous finish too..Congrats..!!!..:cheers:

migueldls

Reaction score
I own a 2003 LP standard plus too and in a similar finish! Great guitars! I have also owned a few 2004 standards and all great too but I prefer the 2003, my no 1 ATM!