2003 Custom Shop 1959 R9 Les Paul Historic Reissue w/ Brazilian Fretboard - SOLD

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Up for sale is my 2003 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 R9 Historic Reissue in washed cherry finish with verified Brazilian rosewood fretboard. I'd say 9.3 out of 10 condition. Just some buckle worming on the back in a small area, but nothing through the finish and no dings or marks on the top. Speaking of the top, this thing is in monster top territory - I've never seen anything like it. It's super flamed out from every angle with no dead spots - really intense and eye-catching. Nice dark and even Brazilian fretboard too - not the typical swirly type you normally see on the 2003 run.

Asking $7000 which is exactly what I paid for it. A pretty good deal for a collectible guitar of this quality. They’re selling for upwards of $8500+ on other sites.

This guitar is super resonant and loud unplugged, and the finish has sunken nicely into the wood after 15 years. It sounds amazing plugged in, both clean and distorted it's incredibly articulate. It can be really smooth and jazzy or snarling and aggressive depending on your attack. It plays like butter and stays in tune perfectly with nice low action and NO string buzzing - just recently set up with .10s. Very minimal fretwear, hardly noticeable. Amazing guitar and a collector's item that will only go up in value. There's a reason 2003 is considered one of (if not THE) best years for Custom Shop Les Pauls in last few decades.

Comes with COA, Lifton style hardshell case (also excellent condition), and a full set of unopened case candy.

Only selling because I just bought a new home and money is much tighter than anticipated. Open to reasonable offers but sorry, no trades. My price is just trying to make back what I bought it for - and very fair considering these are selling for upwards of $8500.

Feel free to ask me with any questions.

Last edited:

Latest Threads