2002 LP Studio pups?

Clouidpuncher

Reaction score
Hey guys - i am thinking of picking up a LP studio that is for sale in my local area. I haven't had the chance to play it yet (hopefully tonight) but am curious about the sound of the pickups. It is all original at this point so there should be 490R & 498T pickups in it? I play mostly classic rock and some blues so not sure if these pickups will be good for that - i also have a set of 57 classics that i could put it in. Just wondering what the differences are between these pups. I currently have an Epi custom silverburst with SD pups in it that i just love the sound. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Timshady

Reaction score
In my experience, the 490R and 498T are a hotter set of pups than the 57 classics. They will play classic and modern rock quite well. Think AC/DC type of sound. The 57 classics are a bit smoother with more warmth and less bite. I think they can both play blues pretty well but blues and classic rock will probably sound better through the 57 classics.

Tone is very subjective though. What I say sounds warm might sound muddy to someone else. What I say sounds bright and chimey might sound ice picky and harsh to others. The best way to tell is to play and have a hear for yourself. I personally like the 57 classics the best, followed by a nice set of burstbucker pros. Some people don't really like the pros because of how bassy they can sound in an LP.

To each his own.

Sånglöf

Reaction score
In my experience, the 490R and 498T are a hotter set of pups than the 57 classics. They will play classic and modern rock quite well. Think AC/DC type of sound. The 57 classics are a bit smoother with more warmth and less bite. I think they can both play blues pretty well but blues and classic rock will probably sound better through the 57 classics.

Tone is very subjective though. What I say sounds warm might sound muddy to someone else. What I say sounds bright and chimey might sound ice picky and harsh to others. The best way to tell is to play and have a hear for yourself. I personally like the 57 classics the best, followed by a nice set of burstbucker pros. Some people don't really like the pros because of how bassy they can sound in an LP.

To each his own.

I would say that the 490R is smoother than the Classic 57 neck pup though. At least that's how my guitars sound. Have both set ups.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
The stock pickups are a very balanced set in my opinion. They can do any type of musical quite good, but they dont excel on any area. They are hotter than most classic sets, but they still have somewhat of the paf-character.
I think you will like them. If you always play clean / slightly overdriven, perhaps you can think about changing them to more vintage style humbuckers or even p-94's.

Latest Threads