2002 Les Paul 1959 Historic vs. 2009-2011 Gibson 1959 Reissue Les Paul Standard

madaxeman

Reaction score
What about the range of weights that you have seen on the 02' & 09' - 11' versions?

If available those years; can a really light one (I would prefer as close to 8 lbs as possible) sound great too or do heavier ones sound better or have better sustain?

Weights are all over the place. I've seen 01's and 02's just over 8 Ibs and 12's over 9IBs and vice versa.
In terms of tone the theory is that the heavier and denser the mahogany the darker the tone, but this is just a theory and in reality is not much of a rule. Some of the most famous Gibson Bursts from the 50's which are highly regarded as being tone monsters are heavy weights..Bernie Marsdon's 'Beast' '59 Les Paul is well over 9Ibs and Billy Gibbon's Pearly is also a renound heavyweight. Lighter might save your back over a long gig if you're of slight build but Lighter does not necessarily equal better tone...plus tone is subjective anyway. Best advice around here is try before you buy.

roeg

Reaction score
+1....if i can say anything about my 2010 R8,i just feels right.Old.Its all those little things they did after 2009.Neck angle in particular is shallow.Fat neck with shoulders too(my preference)I wouldn't call it a fast neck,but that doesn't stop me from being faster[/I if you know what i mean.I have to work a little harder with it than i do with my slimmer more comfortable late 80's lester necks. She makes me work for her,but with great tone rewards :).Meaty neck,and i think that translates into tone.It screams acoustically and electrically.its just a tad under 9lbs.

rykus

Reaction score
Haven't tried the '13's yet but all the others are really personal taste

My favorites have been an '94 R9, '01 R9 '10 R9

All are lightish between high 7lbs up mid 8's, I like a lot of other ones too but those are the stand outs to me.
I find it true that the mid 8-9 range is a bit smoother tone and less bark to it.
it is way more apparent unplugged, and a lot of those have great plugged in tone with loads of thick sustain. but as I'm mostly just jamming and relaxing playing at home now I like the alive feel of the lighter models.
Would be interested to find a really light '13 just to try.
Good luck in your quest, I've honestly never felt disappointed in any of the reissues,I just tend to pick parts according to what i think would make them sound better.

mzblues

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure EC's burst was a 1960 not a 59 for one thing. Maybe you can find a used non-signed, non-aged VOS Beano somewhere.

Sorry if this question might need to be on a new thread, but was also curious about the differences in the 2009-2011 Les Paul 1960 Reissues.

My understanding is that there are 3 versions. Besides colors, I understand that the difference between versions 1, 2 & 3 gibson les paul 1960 standard as follows: Version 1 has fat neck like 1959, Version 2 is a thinner neck and Version 3 is even thinner.

That said, I have the following questions:

1) If the Version 1 is similar to the early vintage 1960's versions with a thick neck (which was suppose to be carried over from 1959), then wouldn't Version 1 be exactly the same guitar as the 1959 Reissue and possibly cheaper to get?

Just thinking, due to the 1960 being less popular, maybe I could get a great buy on a Version 1 1960 instead of the 1959 if it's exactly the same?

2) Yes I know that Eric Clapton did play a 1960 LP on the Bluesbreakers album, but does anyone know whether the model he used was closer to the 2009 - 2011 1960 Reissues Version 1 (which really means he was using a thick necked 1959 produced the early part of 1960), Version 2 thickness or Version 3 thinest neck?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer that question; In my experience the necks are not as "organized" as that. Many necks are more or less random. I have a 59 that could easily be an R8 (thick and chunky) and an R8 that could easily be an R9. (smaller but not as small as the popular opinion of the R0)

River has done an excellent neck measure thread, Youll have to search for it.

I did a quick and dirty comparison with mine.

I think it depends on who was sanding necks on that day. But I don't think you'll find an R0 with a baseball bat neck.

The only way is to try them.

Gibson slots them by weight first.

Unfortunately neck size has little to do with the thinking Gibson had in the late 50's

Gibson was moving towards a thinner neck in the 60's but it was for all the electrics.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I'm rather partial to the 2009 R9 I happen to own . . .

easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture55044-r9-bloomfield-vos-office-another-view.jpg
easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture55043-r9-bloomfield-vos-office.jpg
easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture45018-les-paul-r9-mike-bloomfield-vos-003.jpg

By the way, if you click on my sig's sound clip, you'll hear this guitar, playing the intro solo and the second of two guitar solos elsewhere . . .

mzblues

Reaction score
I'm rather partial to the 2009 R9 I happen to own . . .

easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture55044-r9-bloomfield-vos-office-another-view.jpg
easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture55043-r9-bloomfield-vos-office.jpg
easyace-albums-les-paul-r9-bloomfield-vos-picture45018-les-paul-r9-mike-bloomfield-vos-003.jpg

By the way, if you click on my sig's sound clip, you'll hear this guitar, playing the intro solo and the second of two guitar solos elsewhere . . .

I assume that is not a "Custom Shop" correct? Besides the sound, are you happy with the USA built, etc.?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume that is not a "Custom Shop" correct? Besides the sound, are you happy with the USA built, etc.?

That is most definitely a Custom Shop Model, Ever hear of the Bloomfield Burst?

And it sounds good too!

Latest Threads