2000 R9 logo and inlay question

DaveH28

Reaction score
Been a while since ive posted on here.. but been looking at R9s lately...

I have found one that has all the paperwork, it is a 2000 historic aged (presumably by Tom Murphy)

My question is, this guitar has a correct late 50's logo (i.e. a bit rounder, same as HM will install) it has the correct cellulose inlays, no rounded corners.... but it all looks original.

The COA has a model number of LPR9FALBNH

It is a guitar that was made for Yamano and distributed in Japan.

Thanks in advance if anyone know of special specs around that time etc

Logo.png

inlays.png

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm only speculating here,... limited photos and all,.... but this could be a Historic Makeover instrument. HM will modify Gibson Historics to the correct features..... They may have the serial on file if they did. Or another luthier did the work. I don't think that TM would have changed the logo or the markers,... though i could be wrong.

Call the Gibson Custom Shop.

DaveH28

Reaction score
I'm only speculating here,... limited photos and all,.... but this could be a Historic Makeover instrument. HM will modify Gibson Historics to the correct features..... They may have the serial on file if they did. Or another luthier did the work. I don't think that TM would have changed the logo or the markers,... though i could be wrong.

Call the Gibson Custom Shop.
Exactly what I thought... I have seen many of their guitars.
Ill be honest I am looking at R9s with a view possibly having a HMover.
But, it looks factory standard. there are more photos. It could well be that someone has done it,

I have emailed Gibson with all the model details, Serial no. etc. Will se what comes back

Thanks,

bblooz

Reaction score
Would be cool if it's a HM. Keep us posted........

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
No...I doubt that's an HM. That silk screen is too far off to the right... and the Logo is too high

Need additional pics...

Something amiss….

ARandall

Reaction score
Lots of places mod guitars and change logos.....and that looks like a lot of yellowing to the MOP. But with those features its almost certainly not stock to Gibson.

If those are the only 2 pics that are about, how are you determining that the guitar is not aftermarket modified, and still to your eyes looks original??? Especially given the high level of aging on the instrument.
A good luthier will do all the work and make the guitar look like its not been touched......save for it looking more authentic than the typical razorblade checking and Gibson burst pattern.

DaveH28

Reaction score
There are lots more pics.. I just didn’t think it was right to post the whole of someone’s sale on here...

I’ve been in contact with the guy, he has a couple of historics and a real 59,
Knows his stuff.. as I’ve asked a few more questions..but I am waiting for more info from Gibson
He is also a friend of Florian jäger... as I did ask whether it was a Bavarian/historic makeover...given where he is based I have no reason to disbelief
I was 95% sure it wasn’t because I have a jäger and how they look...

The silkscreen is off.. but also the Grover tuner on the g string has been fitted clumsily, and makes it look worse (which I have seen many pics of clumsily Fitted ones on originals.... presumably before they were the holy grail!)

It just interested me this guitar, I have seen countless pics/in person of originals, makeovers, replicas...reissues,
I agree something a miss, but maybe not in a negative way...
I will post more when I find out more.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Well I've been looking for some other aged Yamano R9s and I don't find any examples with this much relicing, especially the tinted nitro. Could be natural aging if the owner is a smoker for example but my experience is peoplo tend to baby these kind of guitars so natural aging might be unlikely.
Also the aging on the back looks done in two different periods by two different people. Again, could be natural wear but I doubt it.
Finish is probably original because it has the gibson font serial stamp, so I doubt it had a "make over"
I think it has been additionally aged, meaning some tinting of the nitro, aged hardware, inlays have obviously been changed.
I found the guitar for sale and it is absolutely stunning but for the price they ask you might want to know for sure.

Latest Threads