2000 Les Paul (1960 model) classic vs a new LP classic.

Dennis C

Reaction score
Which is the better guitar to buy and why? Quality wise, tone wise, over all Thank you!

R994

Reaction score
depends on the guitar how well it built but i heard good stuff about the early 2000 model

You need to give me more info, new as in 2021?

R994

Reaction score
if so Humbuckers something u should consider. Play both which one sounds and feels better to you. If your look 2021 model you just take a look at standards original collections aswell. They are very nice guitars.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I remember the 1960 model had those high output ceramic pick ups which might or might not be of your liking.
Of course if you like swapping out pick ups and electronics it's not much of an issue.
It also had a slim neck profile.
I think they were nice guitars that filled a niche.
As for quality I'm not really into the year specific thing.
I treat each one as an individual. There's already enough variance inside the same range of the same year.
I'm not aware of any real and extensive quality issues for either model.

R994

Reaction score
I personally don’t like slim neck on les Paul for some reason. I rather play modern guitar like suhr if I want think frets.

R994

Reaction score
I think any experienced player would prefer fatter neck les Paul’s. As for slim you can also go for a modern brand which is great in its own way. Gibson les Paul i really want the thickness for some reason. Cause my Gibson can never out perform my suhr modern. At the same my suhr can do what the Gibson can.

R994

Reaction score
I would say before u get les Paul make sure u know why what kind of sound and playstyle you want. That is the most important

dju

Reaction score
earlier classics had those ugly yellowed inlays. they also had kluson/gibson tuners.
later classics don't have the ugly inlays and have grover tuners.

Dennis C

Reaction score
Thanks all for your insightful replies. I don't think I read any major negatives on either LP. I have a chance to buy a pretty (except for the ugly greenish inlays...I agree) 2000 for $1375 no tax, local seller. It the headstock would have to be refinished, but that can be done reasonably cheap. I was also looking at a 2018 in excellent shape for $1640 including tax. Just wanted to make sure there was something in those years I should avoid. I will post a photo of each. The 2000 is the cherry burst finish. Thanks again!!!

Attachments

BikeBro

Reaction score
I just picked up an ‘03 classic and and loving it. Really nice build quality, comes with ABR1 and press bushing tuners (no big bolt ons) and nickel hardware which is cool if you are into the more old school look. I swapped my pickups and harness for OX4’s and 50’s wiring to suite my style but it did nail heavy rock/metal pretty well stock. For that price I would jump on the classic

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your insightful replies. I don't think I read any major negatives on either LP. I have a chance to buy a pretty (except for the ugly greenish inlays...I agree) 2000 for $1375 no tax, local seller. It the headstock would have to be refinished, but that can be done reasonably cheap. I was also looking at a 2018 in excellent shape for $1640 including tax. Just wanted to make sure there was something in those years I should avoid. I will post a photo of each. The 2000 is the cherry burst finish. Thanks again!!!
That 2000 in HCB is where it's at.....

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 2007 1960 Classic in Cherry Burst. I know it I not the exact year, but that series/time frame guitars from Gibson all play well. The fit and finish on mine is excellent. The green inlays grow on you. Now I think they are pretty cool.
Good luck in your decision.
Pictures after you get it please.

Dennis C

Reaction score
Will do. Thank you. First I have to do battle with my wife. I just bought a used Gibson 175 about a month ago and said that would definitely be my last guitar. Not a wise choice of words. :)

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
month ago and said that would definitely be my last guitar. Not a wise choice of words. :)
[/QUOTE]

You have not learned the skills of the Ninja.
Stealth and deception, stealth and deception.
”That guitar, I’ve had that forever, you know, I even played happy birthday on it to you about 3 years ago...”
If it feels like she is about to call you out, do what I do when caught, suggest a trip to the mall ( she knows I’m contrite if I suggest visiting the mall) look at some jewelry.

Acquired skills my boy!,

Dennis C

Reaction score
LOL! It would probably be easier if I played well, but I'm terrible and still own 7 beautiful guitars! But I don't have an LP! I really need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but my lousy playing is a great pleasure for me and I just enjoy looking at them as well as playing them. Besides, they're a good investment...right? :)

drmmrr55

Reaction score
If it's from the "original collection", they are very nice guitars...no pcb, hand wired, but if it's a 1960 model, it will have the slim taper neck. I would say it's at least as good as a 2000 model.

dju

Reaction score
Will do. Thank you. First I have to do battle with my wife. I just bought a used Gibson 175 about a month ago and said that would definitely be my last guitar. Not a wise choice of words. :)
whats that saying..... it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission?
but what do i know. all my married friends tell me i don't know what i am talking about when i give them marital advice. i'm single if that matters :)

Dennis C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I had a mint 1967 ES 330 since high school which tells you how old I am! I believe that has the same thin neck. I'm used to it and have no problem there.

Latest Threads