2000-2005 good wood era 2001 ES 59-335

zowenso

Reaction score
That sounds cool. Does it have nickel hardware? I can’t do chrome. So VOS models come a little aged looking? So it sounds like we are getting closer to narrowing down lol So
the one you posted with the Clapton amp is a 2015 63 reissue VOS Cherry color? If I’m right, I’m going to feel like brainiac hahaha.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds cool. Does it have nickel hardware? I can’t do chrome. So VOS models come a little aged looking? So it sounds like we are getting closer to narrowing down lol So
the one you posted with the Clapton amp is a 2015 63 reissue VOS Cherry color? If I’m right, I’m going to feel like brainiac hahaha.

You're mostly correct. Just don't confuse VOS for aged, but for the sake of argument you're understanding correctly.
Yes with Nickel Hardware

zowenso

Reaction score
Ok, so VOS finish is a little hazy and the hardware has a little patina? So it comes that way but it’s not considered “aged”?

Does VOS stand for something?

So, with all the info that’s been shared by myself and others, if I was to call a Gibson dealer today looking for a guitar I’d like to try out, I’d ask for 2013 or newer Gibson 63 reissue Es-335 with VOS finish in Cherry red? Is that the official name for the color? Do I have this right? lol I know only I know what I want, but it’s juys having the right info to actually find it and thank you all for being so patient this far.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Ok, so VOS finish is a little hazy and the hardware has a little patina? So it comes that way but it’s not considered “aged”?

Correct

Does VOS stand for something?

Vintage original Spec was what it once meant. Not it means Visual Old Stock I believe. Kind of like NOS means New Old Stock.

So, with all the info that’s been shared by myself and others, if I was to call a Gibson dealer today looking for a guitar I’d like to try out, I’d ask for 2013 or newer Gibson 63 reissue Es-335 with VOS finish in Cherry red? Is that the official name for the color? Do I have this right? lol I know only I know what I want, but it’s juys having the right info to actually find it and thank you all for being so patient this far.

I would say based on what you posted originally with the nashville picture you would probably be the happiest with one of these:

61 Reissue Dot (Custom Shop) More of a stained finish
Nashville Dot/59 Reissue (Custom Shop) More of a candy finish
63 Reissue Block (Memphis) More of a mix between stain and candy finish
DOT Reissue (Memphis) More of a candy finish

I’d ask for 2013 or newer Gibson 63 reissue Es-335 with VOS finish in Cherry red

This will basically cut your options to 1 guitar and a few years (2013-2017)

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
gibson-custom-shop-1961-es-335-vos-vintage-cherry-253325.jpg

59 Nashville Reissue (Sorry for the horse shit board on this pic)
gibson-es-335-59-dot-nashville-3.jpg

Memphis 63 Reissue
es63sbnh1.jpg

Memphis DOT Reissue
esbody.jpg

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
:facepalm: ...everyone knows '58- early '64 were the best plywood years... :slap:

Nothing beats plywood and Braz.... :io:

:cheers2:

modavis99

Reaction score
My 2 cents. I'd look for a recent Memphis made 335. I think in 2016 and later there is no tube around the truss rod and they were using hide glue in places. It's a shame you weren't looking last month - Chicago Music Exchange was blowing out (nearly) new 335s, full gloss, for $1,600. The reissues were $2,100. There is an 80 page thread about this on thegearpage. You might call CME and see if they have any left or any returns comin in.

LysanderSky

Reaction score
As stated previously, Memphis guitars have gotten a a lot better over the years.

That change happened sometime in 2011 when they introduced the bigger, historically correct neck tenon on all their guitars.

zowenso

Reaction score
That was great. Dude was so jonesing that he couldn’t strike that match lol. These guys are so mellow and cool. Man, does anything touch Vintage PAFs? Those things sound amazing.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Tons of good winders out there. Throbak, Wizz, Ox4, etc. I have Throbak esg pickups in my 335. Things scream.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Tons of good winders out there. Throbak, Wizz, Ox4, etc. I have Throbak esg pickups in my 335. Things scream.

While the difference in price is really silly (Vintage vs. Boutique) from my personal experience there is only one set of Boutique PAF's, that I have had, that come close to my Vintage PAF's and nothing touches my Vintage '58 P90's.

All IMHO anyway.

Also as a disclaimer I recently sold my last spare Set of Vintage PAF's, I'm not selling the others, but I'd buy the right Set of Vintage PU's again in a heartbeat, if I had to, albeit they are silly money as I said.

The other thing worth looking at is the right Set of Boutique PAF's with Vintage Magnets.

I should also add that even though Vintage PU's are silly money, a lot of Boutique PU's are also silly money now IMHO (based on the price of parts used & the time it takes to build a PU...........which I know about in intimate detail).

:cheers2:

Latest Threads