2000-2005 good wood era 2001 ES 59-335

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must live near a good GC, the few I’ve been too around here were a total bummer. That 2001 59-335 Im looking at is $4100. I wish I had a few to compare to at this shop, but it’s mainly vintage and used guitars.
I will say that in my opinion 4100 is way to expensive. 3 grand would be more like it.

zowenso

Reaction score
Thanks for the response pappy.

I agree on the price, although I can’t find any sold history on another 59-335. I called and asked if offers were accepted in store and that’s when I got the good wood years comment. It didn’t sound like the price would change much. They don’t do a Memphis in that same Cherry Red, right? They all look to be that wine red. Checking around for 63 reissues, they seems to be around the same price new, $4100. All sites mention NAMM in their listings for them too. The comparable model to this one I like would be the 63 block inlay 335? There are so many Es models, it’s confusing.

rclausen

Reaction score
Waay too much money. Crotch is right, 3K max. IME, guitar shops in RI ask/charge ridiculous prices. TBH, I would focus on post-2013 Memphis built 335's. I've had several and they are all excellent. Nashville built are supposed to be superior in years prior but Memphis has closed the gap in a serious way.

59noob

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Memphis '58 ES-335 that came with the strings closer to one side of the fretboard edge than the other. I had to notch the ABR-1 saddles off center to get the strings in the right position. In the end, I sent it for a makeover and had the neck reset.

I've played a quite a few reissue 335's from various years over the years, and while many sounded good, I think the re-issue sound is very far from a vintage 335. I have not played a real Burst LP before, but I have always imagined that a very good re-issue would be closer to a real Burst than a re-issue 335 could ever be to a vintage 335, just because the sound is so vastly different (to my ears).

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
My 63. All plastics have been changed to historic plastics, Throbak Pickups and MSSC Wiring Harness, new bridge, and grovers.
20170828_170536-jpg.272044

20170828_170540-jpg.272045

20170828_170549-jpg.272047

zowenso

Reaction score
So when you guys say 335, are you referring to the 63 reissue block inlay or are they still making red 59 dot necks? Man these 335s are like a rubix cube lol There are just so many models it’s confusing. I wish they only had 3 models lol. Sounds like it’s tough to get a perfect model and I really don’t want to spend a fair amount of money and then replace a bunch of parts.

Last edited:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
They have a 58, 59, which are dot, 63 which is block, and then a few other special runs.

However this year they have changed it to ES335 Traditional in red and black. Only block inlays. The new DOT's have no binding. But there are thousands of them used.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/Memphis/ES-335-Traditional-2018.aspx

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/semi-hollow?condition[]=used&condition[]=b-stock&make=gibson&query=Gibson+ES-335+Dot+Reissue+Electric+Guitar&sort=price|asc

Be careful with anything that says faded or satin or studio. Based on what you are looking at you won't want those models.

Last edited:

zowenso

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for that info. I always wondered about those finish options too. I’ll avoid them. Thanks for the links. The 2018 model looks good in the link. What year is the block inlay you posted? And what version of that would be comparable to the dot necks I’m interested in? The block inlay is growing on me. Thanks for all this.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for that info. I always wondered about those finish options too. I’ll avoid them. Thanks for the links. The 2018 model looks good in the link. What year is the block inlay you posted? And what version of that would be comparable to the dot necks I’m interested in? The block inlay is growing on me. Thanks for all this.

My block inlay is a 2015. I also had a 2013 DOT that I liked as well, but preferred the block look myself.

As someone mentioned above if you want a DOT then look/search for 2013 and up Gibson ES-335 Memphis DOT Cherry. However there is nothing wrong with older ones. But in the last few years the Memphis quality and construction (hide glue, etc) have been made to match the Nashville models.

Here is a really shitty pic of my Memphis DOT from 2013
20150206_212929 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Wildwood has three Memphis 335's DOT - Wine Red @ $2899.00

Edit: Caveat there is something weird about those. No Binding? ..but they call then DOTs. :hyper: Havnt seen that before! :eek2:

Last edited:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
I don't think he'll like that finish and the lack of binding though. Or the black binding.

My guess based on your first post is going to be these models and they will be priced from high to low:
61 Reissue Dot (Custom Shop) More of a stained finish
Nashville Dot (Custom Shop) More of a candy finish
63 Reissue Block (Memphis) More of a mix between stain and candy finish
DOT Reissue (Memphis) More of a candy finish

I sold my Dot for $1850 in 2014 for reference.

Last edited:

zowenso

Reaction score
Wow the options are endless lol. Pretty wild. When you say lack of binding which binding are you referring too, neck or? I don’t see lack of binding on what I’ve seen? I also haven’t noticed a black binding.

Crotch, when you mentioned the faded/satin/studio finishes and to avoid them, what will actually look for? Gloss? What would I look for in a listing as far as finish info? I’m so sorry for this. I feel like you are getting what I’m after crotch. I also wouldn’t want a figured top. I don’t want the lowest end 335, but not the highest end. I would totally dig a block inlay. I’m kind of starting to like them a bit more. Thanks crotch lol. Cherry red. All Regular bindings and whatever has the OG look to it. Gloss finish, if that’s what you are meaning? So sorry for this. I’m learning lol.

*edit. I saw the black binding. I couldn’t do that. I like the cream color much better. Thank you though pappy58

Pappy58

Reaction score
Wow the options are endless lol. Pretty wild. When you say lack of binding which binding are you referring too, neck or? I don’t see lack of binding on what I’ve seen? I also haven’t noticed a black binding.

Crotch, when you mentioned the faded/satin/studio finishes and to avoid them, what will actually look for? Gloss? What would I look for in a listing as far as finish info? I’m so sorry for this. I feel like you are getting what I’m after crotch. I also wouldn’t want a figured top. I don’t want the lowest end 335, but not the highest end. I would totally dig a block inlay. I’m kind of starting to like them a bit more. Thanks crotch lol. Cherry red. All Regular bindings and whatever has the OG look to it. Gloss finish, if that’s what you are meaning? So sorry for this. I’m learning lol.

*edit. I saw the black binding. I couldn’t do that. I like the cream color much better. Thank you though pappy58

Yeah Sorry I missed that. My current Es-335 is the 61 with the stained finish. It's actually the Warren Haynes sig but I think all the 61 RI's were pretty much the same. The necks on these are quite a bit flatter than the 59. It does seems everyone wants a premium for a "59-Dot"!

As far as the satin's go, I personally think they are the best value. A satin finish is thinner and can be buffed to be very glossy. I've owned two and they were both great players. They can be had for ~ $1500.00 :beer:

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Memphis '58 ES-335 that came with the strings closer to one side of the fretboard edge than the other. I had to notch the ABR-1 saddles off center to get the strings in the right position. In the end, I sent it for a makeover and had the neck reset.

I've played a quite a few reissue 335's from various years over the years, and while many sounded good, I think the re-issue sound is very far from a vintage 335. I have not played a real Burst LP before, but I have always imagined that a very good re-issue would be closer to a real Burst than a re-issue 335 could ever be to a vintage 335, just because the sound is so vastly different (to my ears).

Exactly, that was the case with mine former 2015 63 Wildwood spec reissue. The guitar had (besides another serious construction flaws) wrongly set neck and it was nearly unplayable. I have had played many Nashvilles and no one had such serious construction flaws like this Memphis POS. This was simply untolerable and as a result i am done with Memphis production forever. Nashvilles have more authentic lower neck angles too, which is another plus to me.

How can be such steep angle "historically accurate"? Notice the great fret binding work too, worse than on cheap Asian copies... :eek2:

Y9syiEj.jpg

rclausen

Reaction score
You could also search for a Warren Haynes 335. They have a slimmer neck but I've never read a bad thing about them.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score

Because I don't think you would like the finish and the lack of body binding. They're fins guitars. I am simply basing it on the fact that you like the one you posted. These models would be far different than the one you posted.

zowenso

Reaction score
Oh I see. Yeah I definitely like the finish of the 335 I posted on page 1. So if I don’t see “faded/satin/studio” in a description, that means the finish will be considered glossy?

What is VOS that I see a bunch? I’ll check out some warren haynes to see the pricing too.

Nice one Christophervolume.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Oh I see. Yeah I definitely like the finish of the 335 I posted on page 1. So if I don’t see “faded/satin/studio” in a description, that means the finish will be considered glossy?

What is VOS that I see a bunch? I’ll check out some warren haynes to see the pricing too.

Nice one Christophervolume.

My 63 I posted is VOS. It will be a little hazy and the hardware will have a patina to it.

Latest Threads