2000-2005 good wood era 2001 ES 59-335

zowenso

Reaction score
Hello. Epic first post coming!!! lol So, I’m looking into a long guard 2001 custom art & historic 59-335 dot neck in a bright red. I’ve been searching high and low for others that have sold and prices etc. I can’t find anything. Is this different than “custom shop” or “historic”? I was told by the seller this was before the custom shop and that 2000-2005 is considered a good wood era of Gibson. Any thoughts on that info? Thanks!

Last edited:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good wood years are a total farce. So don't let that sway you. Good and bad guitars in every year.

It is just a custom shop 335 though. Not before custom shop from what I know. Nothing special yet not bad by any means. Very nice guitars.

Many of the newer Memphis products are every bit as good. I played about 20 guitars over a year including Nashville and Memphis and could never justify the additional price. I tried to, but couldn't. Ended up with a 15 Memphis 63 block reissue. Awesome guitar.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I think the good wood years are any year you want them to be. Ask yourself if the seller has any reason to make that statement about the guitar he is selling. Sounds like the old 'pump and dump' to me.

zowenso

Reaction score
I think the good wood years are any year you want them to be. Ask yourself if the seller has any reason to make that statement about the guitar he is selling. Sounds like the old 'pump and dump' to me.

I hear you. I’m not sure they would have a reason to make that statement. It’s a fairly well known shop with a good rep from what I can tell, in Rhode Island. I hear you though. I’m going to go play it this weekend. There is just sooooo many questions about Es-335s. It’s unreal. So many versions and searching for info reveals that there are lots of people asking about 335s.

zowenso

Reaction score
6927592C-F633-4F5E-AFC3-B103C4291C3D.jpeg
This is the guitar. I love the cherry red.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Its a 335, not a 355. I myself prefer Nashville production ESs above Memphis anyday, Nashvilles are very often better made with more attention to details. I have had 3 Memphis made ESs and all had some kind of finish imperfections, sloppy cut f-holes and even badly cut nut etc.

zowenso

Reaction score
Its a 335, not a 355. I myself prefer Nashville production ESs above Memphis anyday, Nashvilles are very often better made with more attention to details. I have had 3 Memphis made ESs and all had some kind of finish imperfections, sloppy cut f-holes and even badly cut nut etc.

Sorry, 355 was a in car typo lol. But, yeah that’s what I’ve heard about Nashville’s, they paid a bit more attention to detail. Smaller numbers made as well? Not that it matter if I don’t like how it plays, just curious. But from what I’ve read, Nashville’s have a good rep and Memphis has gotten much better these days.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
I've had 4 Memphis products that were all perfect. 2 335s, DG335, and Trini Lopez. I still have 2 of the 4 years later. You can't believe when people tell you x is better than y. It's impossible to say cause every instrument is different. For every Nashville guy you'll have Memphis guy and vice versa. 335s to me, are the best model guitar Gibson makes. You'll love it. I prefer block inlays personally.

I spent way more time with these style guitars vs les Paul and sgs etc

Reactions: SFK

RAG7890

Reaction score
Good Wood era = what someone is selling
Bad Wood era = what someone is buying

:cheers2:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
My most terrible Memphis case was here, pls see this thread. http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/he...ality-control-f-d-up-63-es335-wildwoo.376960/

Photos are away now (cause Photobucket), but i was really in shock how can Gibson sell such fxxxed up guitar. :hmm:

I remember your thread and that sucks. I can only say that when I set out to buy my cherry block I took almost a year to buy it. I played 7 Nashville models and 12 Memphis models. I went over them with a fine tooth comb and played them extensively through different amps. I could not justify the extra cost for Nashville. The only thing I didn't love were the mhs pickups which I immediately swapped anyway. So like I mentioned to the op. For every story on Memphis there will be one for Nashville and so on. To each their own which is why you can never say x is better than y or a us a good wood year compared to b. I know it's fun on these forums to do but it's impossible, no matter how many times we try to rehash these type of subjects. Braz boards, pickguards, etc.

zowenso

Reaction score
I’ll tell you what sucks, there are very few places to go and actually line up several guitars of any model and compare them. I know people aren’t huge fans of GC center, but I went in recently after several years of not playing and the place sucked. They had like zero awesome guitars. I can’t even find a good Gibson dealer near me, let alone one with 4-5 Es 335s to try out.

I do hear you about the Nashville vs Memphis guys though. It’s so subjective.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Gc was one of the places I went. Just to play as many as I could.

zowenso

Reaction score
Gc was one of the places I went. Just to play as many as I could.

You must live near a good GC, the few I’ve been too around here were a total bummer. That 2001 59-335 Im looking at is $4100. I wish I had a few to compare to at this shop, but it’s mainly vintage and used guitars.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I hear you. I’m not sure they would have a reason to make that statement. It’s a fairly well known shop with a good rep from what I can tell, in Rhode Island. I hear you though. I’m going to go play it this weekend. There is just sooooo many questions about Es-335s. It’s unreal. So many versions and searching for info reveals that there are lots of people asking about 335s.

I lived in RI for 15 years, and even though I am now back in the south I know all the stores there.

zowenso

Reaction score
I lived in RI for 15 years, and even though I am now back in the south I know all the stores there.

Cool. You aren’t missing much with this winter we’ve had lol. The Es i posted is at empire guitar. You must be familiar?

Pappy58

Reaction score
1. That is a very nice guitar. I have played plenty of the early CS 59-335s and they are awesome.
2. Custom Historic-Authentic was the marketing for what were later know as "reissues".
3. Most people that are selling these think they are gold. (see asking price of subject guitar) I agree with Crotch, Memphis has made some fine copies and they are generally less expensive. I too have owned three Memphis models with zero issues!

Good luck! :cheers2:

Latest Threads