2 Shot, 1 Killed Outside of MLK Junior High School in Detroit

JMV

Reaction score
2 shot, 1 killed outside MLK High School in Detroit - Fox 2 News Headlines

DETROIT (WJBK) - There was a deadly shooting Friday outside of Martin Luther King, Junior High School on Detroit's east side.
Police sources say two armed males tried to rob a coach leaving the school. The coach, who has a concealed pistol license, fired shots killing one of the individuals and critically wounding the other.
Sources also tell us the two males previously attended the school. One was expelled.
Click on the video player to watch reports from Fox 2's Ron Savage and Ronnie Dahl.
Fox 2 has learned the 70 year old coach for the girl's basketball team was walking two students to their cars at the time of the attempted robbery. When one pulled a gun, the coach fired back, shooting both teens.

The shooting at the high school was not the only incident involving an older person protecting themselves with a firearm Friday in Detroit. Sources tell us, on the 15-thousand block of Grand River, east of Greenfield, a man attempted to rob an older man when he pulled out his weapon and fired. The suspect was shot. The man in this case was also licensed to carry a gun.

A 2002 survey shows gun ownership among people age 65 and older is on the rise. Firearms instructor Rick Ector has seen an increase of older people taking control of their personal safety, buying guns, and being trained on how to use them.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Criminals getting lead poisoning makes me smile. :D

Hack

Reaction score
Play with snakes... youre going to get bit.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't rejoice or celebrate, but I do see it as the lesser of two evils, when it's the Bad Guy that gets it.

Fracture

Reaction score
meanwhile-in-detroit_zpsceae901c.jpg

too soon? or two soon?

JMV

Reaction score
I don't rejoice or celebrate, but I do see it as the lesser of two evils, when it's the Bad Guy that gets it.

It's still a tragedy at the end of the day. I'd MUCH rather the two teens figure out a way to live life without robbing people at gunpoint, but sometimes I celebrate the lesser of evils. I relate much to this sentiment:

All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction. - Clarence Darrow

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
Good for him. This is exactly what the right to carry concealed was designed to do, give good people a fighting chance against thugs. Unfortunately, this guy is probably now going to go broke paying lawyers to defend him in the criminal (maybe) and civil (definitely) courts for the next 10 years. Even when you win, you still lose in these scenarios.

But now I'm curious about Detroits CC laws. Here in Texas, at least, carrying on school grounds is illegal, with parking lots and sidewalks being the exception.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good for him. This is exactly what the right to carry concealed was designed to do, give good people a fighting chance against thugs. Unfortunately, this guy is probably now going to go broke paying lawyers to defend him in the criminal (maybe) and civil (definitely) courts for the next 10 years. Even when you win, you still lose in these scenarios.

But now I'm curious about Detroits CC laws. Here in Texas, at least, carrying on school grounds is illegal, with parking lots and sidewalks being the exception.

Texas is also much less likely to crucify you for protecting yourself.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
Well, the mother of the dead boy said it wasn't him and that he didn't own a gun.

G & P hit the nail on the head. Still, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
Texas is also much less likely to crucify you for protecting yourself.

I'd like to think so. Stances on use of deadly force and how aggressively a DA will pursue charges can vary from region to region. I've talked to my best buddy about this, who is an ADA in Galveston County.

BillB1960

Reaction score
Unfortunately Michigan has declared it's schools Criminal Protection Zones by refusing to allow CCW holders to carry at school. Not only that but the Governor of Michigan vetoed a bill passed by the legislature last December that would have allowed CCW holders to carry at school so technically the coach was violating the law.

ETA: Actually the coach was also a reserve PD so he was good to go. Should be a lesson to the Governor...Don't set our kids up to be killed!

Byron999

Reaction score
We are seeing a rise in armed robberies locally as well. Wonder if it nation wide? So far, the bad guys are loosing in such incounters.

Latest Threads