2 questions

Lhdr

Reaction score
1. Left my 6 month old guitar sitting in case for about 2 weeks without playing (elbow). All strings are now sharp quite a bit. Other times if I remember, strings go flat. Under what conditions might a guitar either go sharp or flat sitting for a few weeks?

2. Upon playing for first time in a few weeks, noticed the high E string now has a slight sitar on open string. Never had before. Any clues what might cause?

Thanks.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Temperature/humidity.

Humidity causes the wood to expand and contract.
Temperature causes everything to expand and contract, but the strings will expand and contract more than the wood.

If you are now getting a buzzing, I would suspect humidity has altered the neck relief... this is assuming that a "little luthier" in the house didn't decide to do you any "favors" while you were recovering.

christopherJ

Reaction score
I have to tweak most of my guitars when the seasons change. This time of year for me things are going sharp.

Could be the e sting is going bad. Change strings and check all the screws and nuts.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Providing there's nothing wrong with nut/bridge/strings, it's not a serious issue.
I had my les paul go out of tune without playing it. It's about temperature and humidity as said above

ErictheRed

Reaction score
When it gets cold metal compresses, when it gets warm metal expands. So when it gets cold strings go sharp, and when it gets warm strings go flat.

Regarding the buzz on the string, you just need to do a quick setup, most likely raising the action slightly. You might need to do more like adjust the truss rod, but if it's only one string, start with a small increase in action.

Brek

Reaction score
In UK temp and humidity is crazy variable at mo, yesterday cold and dry, today 20 deg cel and more humid, have to sharpen/flatten every time i play.

bum

Reaction score
We were playing a gig one very sunny day and our singer / guitarist had just got one of those rack mounted tuners and he sat it on top of his amp.
The sun was so strong and hitting us directly that we would all go out of tune in the space of a song, so he'd turn around to tune up, thus putting his guitar in the shade, he'd turn around to play, get hit by the Sun and instantly go flat on all strings lol

rogue3

Reaction score
My guitars are great humidity meters(i also have one).

When they go sharp,its humid.

When they go flat,its dry.

that is all.

The sitar thing might be a fret reacting the the humidity change.check the fret, make sure it is still seated properly.Ditto for the bridge saddle and nut.Finally,benchmark your action, and keep track.Extreme climate driven neck bowing can cause this too.Too much bow...or reverse bow.

I would advise to periodically check the tuning on a cased guitar,particularly through rapid seasonal changes.

Latest Threads