2.80 for Helix has landed.

James R

Reaction score
Just about to get on it.
I’m laughing at all the FB people who are already imploding because they didn’t read the update notes.
I guess there’s a point in time during the update that has an error message on the Helix screen (which is normal for this particular update) and they think their units are bricked.
:rofl:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just about to get on it.
I’m laughing at all the FB people who are already imploding because they didn’t read the update notes.
I guess there’s a point in time during the update that has an error message on the Helix screen (which is normal for this particular update) and they think their units are bricked.
It’s a bit more complex than this, and hope doesnt happen to you, as I would be the first laughing this time.

Basically on many PC when the helix reboot does fail the update as the unit isnt being recognized after that, so you have to restart the update manually once you manage to enumarate the partial update to 2.8. Its a known issue that they faced during testing. Happened to me today, and wasnt fun really.

James R

Reaction score
It’s a bit more complex than this, and hope doesnt happen to you, as I would be the first laughing at you.

Basically on many PC when the helix reboot does fail the update as the unit isnt being recognized after that, so you have to restart the update manually once you manage to enumarate the partial update to 2.8. Its a known issue that they faced during development. Happened to me today, and wasnt fun really.
Did I say I was laughing at people who are having issues with the update itself?
Nope.
I said I was laughing at people who didn’t read the notes and think there’s something wrong when there really isn’t.
So, I guess, let me be the first to laugh at you, since you’re so eager to laugh at me.
Dick.

KenG

Reaction score
The update notes do state that the spinning Logo may freeze during the update and not to worry, the update is still happening. Is that the issue you guys are talkign about?
On a side note I'll be waiting awhile before updating. I need to back up everything in case I want to go back. While the Known Bugs list is respectably low, a few amps and effects have been added (interested mainly in the new Tweeds and the Shelf EQ myself) I believe the main goal was the change to a common core and I'm wondering if it 'll have a sonic impact to the modelling, and if so what that impact may be.
So I'm going to lurk on the D&M forum a few days and see what folks who update are thhinking afterwards before taking the plunge.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
The update notes do state that the spinning Logo may freeze during the update and not to worry, the update is still happening. Is that the issue you guys are talkign about?
On a side note I'll be waiting awhile before updating. I need to back up everything in case I want to go back. While the Known Bugs list is respectably low, a few amps and effects have been added (interested mainly in the new Tweeds and the Shelf EQ myself) I believe the main goal was the change to a common core and I'm wondering if it 'll have a sonic impact to the modelling, and if so what that impact may be.
So I'm going to lurk on the D&M forum a few days and see what folks who update are thhinking afterwards before taking the plunge.
The point is that, with this update, at some point (around 50% of the update), the helix does reboot itself, so it is being plugged off from the USB port, then plugged in again, while the updater is “listening” for the device to come back on the port, to continue the update. The problem happen when the device isnt being recognized again when does reboot, so the update stays in listening mode for a lot of time (even an hour), and then fail to update, exiting the process.

At this point, if the half update did enumerate the unit to 2.8, you can restart the update and it should complete in 5 minutes average. If did not enumerate to 2.8, you need to force the unit in update mode and roll back to a previous 2.x firmware (you should roll back to the enumerated version) and try again the procedure.

Last edited:

drew365

Reaction score
I haven't tried the 2.8 update yet and I've never had a single problem with any of the previous updates for the past three years. Having said that, I've never needed to utter the word "enumerate" when discussing the Helix. Is this an attempt to make us more literate?

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
It went exactly as the instructions said it would.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Just about to get on it.
Are you in the FB groups? I am, lots of asshats, but some good info.

James R

Reaction score
Are you in the FB groups? I am, lots of asshats, but some good info.
Yeah, I’m in a number of them.
The big two for sure, and then two or three smaller ones as well.
When I first got my Helix I joined every group I could find, a lot of great info out there, but also a lot of the asshats you spoke of.

Digging the new update so far.
The King If Tone is quite nice, lots to tweak on it though.
My favourite part of this update is something that I wanted from the instant I made my first patch (and when I mentioned it here and elsewhere I was met with criticism), the ability to have a stomps bypass state not effected by switching snapshots.
I have mine set up with four stomps on the top and four snapshots on the bottom, and I wanted the ability to switch snaps while keeping my chorus or boost (or whatever) engaged, even if they weren’t supposed to be engaged in the snap.
My old programmable looper switch pedal/hub could do that, and it was only a fraction of the cost of the Helix, so I figured it would be a simple add. So stoked they finally put it in there years later, I got very used to doing things that way, and it minimizes the amount of tap dancing I have to do for the way I like things set up.

What’re your feelings so far about 2.80?

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still getting my patches reloaded. Just finished updating my HX Effects.

drew365

Reaction score
I updated my Helix floor and PC+ with no problems. Unfortunately I haven't had time to try the new amps, effects and speaker sims. I'm not sure when I'll be able to and I'm getting a little shaky thinking about it.

James R

Reaction score
I haven’t tried any of the new amps/cabs, just the KOT pedal.
The new operational features are what have me most excited about this update, and so far they’re working without a hitch.
I did have a strange thing happening for a while...
even though my global settings are set to show 4 stomps and 4 snapshots after changing patches, it would stick on 8 patch mode after switching banks.
It happened for about a half hour, and I was going crazy trying to figure out why, checked all my global settings and they were all set properly, then all of a sudden it just corrected itself.
I don’t gig, but I could see that being a pretty big issue if I did.
Hopefully it doesn’t come back.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Revv Gen Red

Ho-Lee-Crap

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Just finished the update. The instructions and info were quite humorous. Good on line 6 for not being a bore with them.

The new "HX Core" sounds like it has a lot of potential.

James R

Reaction score
Revv Gen Red

Ho-Lee-Crap
Spent all of last night getting to know it, great sounding amp, one of my new faves.
I have a bit of a hard time finding clean sounds on the Helix that I really dig, constantly tweaking to try and find “that” clean tone, but there sure isn’t a lack of great sounding high gain or driven types of amps. It’s where the unit really excels, imo.
Don’t get me wrong, I have lots of clean sounds that are very usable and sound nice, I just haven’t found the right combination of amp/cab/mic or amp/IR that makes me say “That’s it right there, the clean tone I hear in my head and have always been looking for”, instead it’s more like “Yeah, that’ll work, time to move on”.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
If you have HX Effects (I love mine) be sure to grab the 2.80 hotfix 1 for it. Just released for a volume issue.