1x10 cab speaker cutout question

pillbug

Reaction score
I have an original 10” speaker from an old Ampeg SS-70C and wanted to build a cabinet for it. So my wife picked up this old ham radio enclosure at an estate sale, which looks like it will be perfect.

DD9A98DD-3A83-4536-9493-F1D5114E334E.jpeg

7CA686C5-B9BB-4755-9E8B-7ED61E5CF7EE.jpeg

So my question is,
Should I cut a standard 10” hole, or, do something like this:

BB587CDF-F8E0-4ADD-A67D-1003887F7EED.jpeg

Or this:

254A36DF-9E35-4A07-9DF4-D8BC8AB67EAC.jpeg

Does the wood baffling in front of the speaker in these old style amps affect the sound in any way?

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
....Does the wood baffling in front of the speaker in these old style amps affect the sound in any way?
It must.

Do you have the tools and skills that would allow you to do something like the National?

Is your ham box coated (Tolex-like)? If so, cutouts like the National would be a heck of a lot of work.

pillbug

Reaction score
It must.

Do you have the tools and skills that would allow you to do something like the National?

Is your ham box coated (Tolex-like)? If so, cutouts like the National would be a heck of a lot of work.
Good point. Yes it is a tolex / vinyl type covering. I don’t have much skills but I definitely think a circle with a jigsaw is something I could reasonably manage.
The “stripes” like the National, I just thought, well maybe I could make a series of straight down and up slices with the circular saw in different lengths. But I wouldn’t go through the trouble if it would block or dampen the response of the cone.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It would definitely affect the sound of the speaker. Some players put gaffer tape on their grill cloth right over the centre of the speaker cone to kill the 'beam' of treble coming from that region. Weber even sells a gadget to put in when you install a new speaker, called a 'beam blocker' (personally, I use baffles because they block the beam and come with other benefits, too).

Some really, really old Fenders came with baffles that had struts and stuff. The one below is an old V-Front Super being restored (that's a relic job on the tweed, BTW):

Restored Cab, Back.jpg

Fender also used this pattern, too (this one is a newly made replica I did a few years ago):
052 Loaded Front View.jpg

I don't think Fender did any of this with the intention of affecting the sound, but it did. ANY object in front of the speaker will affect the sound.

Attachments

pillbug

Reaction score
It would definitely affect the sound of the speaker. Some players put gaffer tape on their grill cloth right over the centre of the speaker cone to kill the 'beam' of treble coming from that region. Weber even sells a gadget to put in when you install a new speaker, called a 'beam blocker' (personally, I use baffles because they block the beam and come with other benefits, too).

Some really, really old Fenders came with baffles that had struts and stuff. The one below is an old V-Front Super being restored (that's a relic job on the tweed, BTW):

View attachment 406780

Fender also used this pattern, too (this one is a newly made replica I did a few years ago):
View attachment 406781

I don't think Fender did any of this with the intention of affecting the sound, but it did. ANY object in front of the speaker will affect the sound.
Nice work!

pillbug

Reaction score
Well I went for the standard circular cutout. Looks not too bad. Just ordered piping and grill cloth to make it look all nice and stuff.

67EC7AA7-BB7E-468B-84A1-8933B158D34D.jpeg

pillbug

Reaction score
Well I got my parts and the project is coming along.
Added gold/clear piping and salt & pepper grill cloth.
Now I just need to soldier lug wires onto the jack.

5C6FC94C-EF5F-490C-BC33-CB108AB5F096.jpeg

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
How did it all come out?