1st Time Refinishing

sdmusic15

Reaction score
I crazily attempted refinishing my favorite guitar I have ever had. 2019 Les Paul 50s Standard. I just did the top, so not a full refinish. I’m pretty happy with the results.
Also put in new electronics. There was nothing wrong with the stock components but I figured why not, it’s already ripped apart.
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
Switchcraft 3 way toggle/input jack
MojoTone 500k CTS vintage taper pots (one was around 505k, two were 495k and the other was 475
MojoTone .22 Vitamin T caps
CreamTone M69 Tall pickup rings
(I actually had ordered one .015 orange drop for the neck, before I decided to go ahead and fully redo everything.. still curious how it would sound)

so here’s some pictures through the process and the coats. A lot of moments were I was nervous if I was going to be able to make it work and somehow in the end, I couldn’t be more happy.

I just received the pickup rings two days after I fully reassembled. I really like the look of the taller rings. I plan on getting different tuners with the pushed in bushing opposed to the hex nut. Possibly getting a different bridge and tail piece and maybe swap the other plastics.

Enjoy

Attachments

sdmusic15

Reaction score
looks great to me on small screen, will check on pc later, if i can get somewhere close to that i'd be happy. rattle can or gun?
Thank you. I hand rubbed 4 coats of “natural” min wax stain first in hopes it would make the flame/ grain more pronounced. Then one can of StewMac Amber Nitro and a can and a half of StewMac clear. Probably could have finished with one can. Initially I was flipping can upside down when I was done to clear nozzle. It depressurizes the can so I had maybe a half can(maybe a little less) that went to waist from the first can. It was just splatting/spitting and making a mess. I found it’s better to get a little bit of lacquer thinner and soak the nozzle between each spray and it keeps the nozzle clear and the pressure will remain good in the can.

i did not level sand between coats. I waited 8 days after the final clear coat to begin final sanding and buffing. I used 1 sheet 800 grit, 1 sheet 1000 grit and 1 sheet 1200 grit.
Medium grade polishing compound.
and Swirl Remover.

sandpaper’s and compounds were from stewmac.
Took 3 weeks and 3 days. Could most likely have knocked a few days off because I ordered supplies as I went and had a few days of waiting here and there.

judson

Reaction score
looks good :applause:

my first attempt was a strat that was pretty gross lookin....belt sander was the first sign i was doing something wrong :laugh2:

my first LP was a studio thats looks ok to me

but i learned one thing from them all.....

i have no patience at all and thats why mine look like a 3rd grader fingerpainting! :run:

msalama

Reaction score
Maaan, that fiddle looks gorgeous. Kudos to you for a job well done mate!

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it looks WAY better, great job.

Latest Threads