1st Les Paul with the New Gold Standard Carve Templates

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I wanted to post a progress report on the first Les Paul being made using our new carve template set. As you may know, Daniel Dean, Frank Pine, and myself have been working on a set of plans for builders. You can read about it here: Luthier's Corner Plans / Templates Resource

You can also download the plans here: Gold Standard Vintage Correct Les Paul Plans V2.0

So now it's time to see how these new templates work! Here is the set so far:

16.jpg

This is how they hang on my wall (and in case you are wondering, the green one is a trace of Burst 9 1152):

17.jpg

Here is the wood I selected for this project. I have in my mind a "Carmelita" inspired burst:

07.jpg

Here are all of the steps carved. Notice how different they are from the steps created by the old set? Those old templates will make a really great guitar, but these create an extremely accurate vintage carve.

08.jpg

09.jpg

Here I have the neck plane and the pickup plane cut. The top is ready to be orbital sanded into shape.

10.jpg

And here it is. This is the initial shaping (with the binding channel cut).

02.jpg

04.jpg

This gives you an idea of how accurate these templates are. After just the first shaping, the carve is almost perfect. After I get the binding on, I will do the final shaping. But, already I am more than pleased with these results.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And here you see the neck and pickup plane angles. Last night I thought that I was going to run into a problem with the bridge being too low, but today I realized that I was measuring it wrong. Everything is perfect. So, I am very happy.

05.jpg

06.jpg

03.jpg

Anyway, that's it for now.

Sincerely, Scott

ARandall

Reaction score
Looks great......

how come you always manage such stunning looking tops....even when completely unmatched!!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the progress pics. Excited to see the new top carve templates in action.
Are you using body / cavity templates made from the Gold Standard plans for this build?

ExNihilo

Reaction score
That's great Trovader! One thing I noticed is that the control plate template may need to be adjusted. Test fit a real plate in it to make sure it will work.

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I was able to do some more work on this guitar this week. The carve templates work great!

Here it is with the neck attached and getting ready for the pickup cavities to be routed (which is my least favorite part of building):

AMT01.jpg

Here are the leg holes:

AMT02.jpg

And here are the main pickup routes:

AMT03.jpg

Next, come the tail-piece bushings:

AMT04.jpg

And now it is ready for final sanding and finishing. Something interesting was discovered in the bridge pickup cavity. Do you see it? It's a worm hole. The only one I have ever seen.

AMT05.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score
Hey Scott,

Just wanted to pick your brain a little on the new templates....

Firstly on the carve template - I notice your last step is a little different to the plans I downloaded....it flares out toward the cutaway. Is this a slightly earlier version of the templates you did???

How are you holding the angled templates (like the tenon, pickup ears, and pickup body) in place. I have used screws in the top before......but it seems like you might be utilising your angled box.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott,

Just wanted to pick your brain a little on the new templates....

Firstly on the carve template - I notice your last step is a little different to the plans I downloaded....it flares out toward the cutaway. Is this a slightly earlier version of the templates you did???

How are you holding the angled templates (like the tenon, pickup ears, and pickup body) in place. I have used screws in the top before......but it seems like you might be utilising your angled box.
Looks like he’s using the Freddy Gabrsek box. Check out Freddy’s YouTube video #10 where he routed his pickup cavities.

(Correct me if I’m wrong Scott)
F528C361-6C9A-4E2A-BB10-5AB75B0A37C6.jpeg

3F2335B4-FEA0-4DE8-9389-C44414571A0F.jpeg

Last edited:

rockgod212

Reaction score
wow that looks great. anybody want to make me a set of those templates and contour gauges for me? shoot me a price.

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Another update this evening. Grain filling.

Here she is with the final sanding done and ready for finishing:

AMT07.jpg

AMT06.jpg

Next, I tape it off. Here is a tip: I first tape the fingerboard using white masking tape from the dollar store (attention Canadian builders - the white masking tape that one can get at our dollar stores is great for this). I tape the holes in the control cavities too. Next, green painters tape the top and cut the perimeter using a razer as shown. Then, tape off the side binding using the white masking tape (not pictured - sorry).

AMT08.jpg

And here is what she looks like with the grain filler.

AMT09.jpg

AMT10.jpg

I like to very softly "buff" the filler using cheese cloth. It get really nice looking.

AMT11.jpg

That's it for now.

mgdesigns

Reaction score
I just completed my Scrap Paul, and now working on TeleBaum (Everything-caster); then onto the real LP keeper. I will definitely keep an eye on your build for tips and tricks, so I don't make stupid mistakes like I did before.

Attachments

• scrap paul body done-1.jpg
    scrap paul body done-1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 97

ExNihilo

Reaction score
This guitar is now finished. It sounds great, plays great, and feels great. As you can see, I finished it earlier than I expected.

08.jpg

Here is the control cavity. I have it loaded with Sheptone Tributes and an RS Guitarworks rig. And yes, I soldered my output jack before I put my blck tube on, and I did not want to take it apart and re-do it.

07.jpg

More back pictures:

04.jpg

05.jpg

The serial number is the year of my wife's birth.

06.jpg

The 4.1 degree neck angle worked out nicely.

03.jpg

And here are the top pictures:

02.jpg

01.jpg

Latest Threads