1st Les Paul carved top

Kenty1983

Reaction score
Well after a quick polish of the fret and stuff it was time for the neck to be glued on.
photo%203-25_zpspupt3aiv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo%202-32_zpsuqru12id.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo%201-32_zpsyklhbo1g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After the clean up of glue and a good sand up I went on to drilling for the bridge and tailpiece. Now the only question I have dispute being the second guitar is when marking off the measurement for the bridge is best to hold the rule down the centre of the fingerboard or down the side of the fingerboard ? I'm assuming the centre?
photo%201-33_zpslgfo6ceb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
excellant work, kenty. your work is sharp and crisp. you have a methodical, detail approach that i think will serve you well.

Kenty1983

Reaction score
Thank you FDP I appreciate that, after the gluing of the neck and some clean up it was time for the logo.
photo%203-26_zpsvzcixpbq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo%202-34_zpsav4ixfis.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo%201-34_zpsodnadxi4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After playing around I opted for a simple K, I did the K out of celluloid cos I could keep it in one piece being so thin.
Once cut it was cut round with a scalpel and routed out then both glued in with some black superglue filed scraped and sanded flush.
Now a question to anyone as I've decided to paint this guitar black after buying some black car paint from a local hardware store but he and the binding be scraped smooth or very finely sanded?

tnt423

Reaction score
Leave the logo a bit proud and scrape it and the binding after grain fill and the black go on. I would still mask them both, but it will still need scraping before clear coats.
Looking good!

Kenty1983

Reaction score
Thank you TNT, I'm thinking I might try the sanding sealer then grainfill method this time seeing as I plan to give it all a solid colour. As helpful as it is seeing and reading all the different ways it does make it difficult to make the final decision!:)

Kenty1983

Reaction score
So here's where I'm at, I have got some shellac on the guitar to seal it ready for grain fill in doing so I hit a dilemma..... The grain on the topis just to nice to paint!
photo%201-40_zpscscwisp3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
photo%202-40_zpsfpatsfui.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Soooo I've come to the solution of painting black but leaf the top sealed with shellac then clear put on top to keep the mahogany as is.

scottop1972

Reaction score
you used de waxed shellac right? if not you may have trouble....

beautiful work! is that a maple back?

Kenty1983

Reaction score
Thank you scottop, you panicked me for a little but yes it is. I used Liberon Pale French Polish so I should be all good. As for the top sadly it is not maple it is a four piece body made out of tulipwood or otherwise known as Poplar, when I started it it was only going to be a practice carve top. The top is just six random off cuts off the back of the saw that were going to but cut up for firewood and I didn't expect them to match up so nice.:thumb:

Bobtastic

Reaction score
Do you have any updates Kenty? I'm interested to see how your build is progressing.

Kenty1983

Reaction score
Sorry bobtastic I'm afraid to say there isn't at the moment, I've nowhere to do any sanding with making a dam good mess. I'm currently building a good size shed in my garden to hopefully remedie this problem!:thumb:
My wife could very well lose me out there and in turn I think my eldest some may become my apprentice!:laugh2:

Latest Threads