1st Gibson, irresponsible not to buy this Les Paul Studio, player grade

angeldeville

Reaction score
Great deal. The white can age very nice. As it does that white splotch will bug you but there is an easy answer to enjoy the growing patina and not be irritated by the blemish. Play it for a year and be thinking on what tramp stamp to cover the area with. ITs the perfect compromise.
https://diycrafts9.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tramp-Stamp-Designs24.jpg

Mine too has a blemish and its a shame how it limits the incredible patina
View attachment 542769

Its my wifes lp custom actually. She had tommy shaw scribble on it for some reason

I'd be tempted to let Tommy scribble on mine but maybe on the back of the headstock...

Here is how my 1992 Artic/Alpine white has aged..

B428475F-6D5C-4832-835D-F97B977A44BC (1).jpeg

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I think even a true and very expensive expert would have a hard time matching aged AND continuing aging nitro. A beginner will get just what you already got. Some sort of sticker / design especially in that area could really make a plainer white guitar really pop. Sort of a first glance interest. Then as you look closer you see the cool aging more subtle patina at second look. It's cheap and easy and has no downside if you do decide to redo the area. Remember the perfect is the enemy of the good.
My thought is that as the nitro continues to age and yellow, the white will stay white and become more stark. I don't expect I'd be able to match the original finish color, but if I spray the entire top white w/ nitro it will all age together somewhat
Up close there's scratching in the wood, a couple nicks, etc. I'm not going to 'relic' the guitar but I don't care to fix any of that either.
As you point out, a sticker or something could make a pretty plain guitar more interesting. I haven't thought about that much. I could go for a confederate flag...that would be an eye catcher.
My 20 yr old daughter is on the process of wrapping her car. I may even look into that, it's cheap and reversible.

DBDM

Reaction score
I would not mess with the paint. In my mind, that is part of the provenance of the guitar. "a previous owner" is the start of the answer to any questions. Those types of things are the reasons guitars sometimes sell for $500 and I do not like to change them. I have several items in my home with "$2000 scratches" and I love to show them off! I once bought a fridge that had a tiny little scratch on the side and REFUSED the delivery company's offer to touch it up. I got a TV that was very expensive with a crack on the plastic that changes nothing. But saved me over $2k. I have a Custom shop Standard LP with a nearly insignificant scratch on the back (most of it on the control panel) that saved me a bunch. I do not recall the actual figure but I think it was $1700. Ill edit this with a photo of my $1700 scratch when I get home. I love all of those items and all of those stories.

That said, if you do not, make it how you like it. It is YOUR guitar.
Edit--"Ugly shameful scratch" that made no one want this guitar and the store owner sell it to me for $1700 off the original price!
1623359646179.png

Beautiful front of the guitar that makes many who see it call it a very pretty LP. I would not fix that scratch even if I could wave a magic wand and do so!
1623359814293.png

Last edited:

ajory72

Reaction score
My thought is that as the nitro continues to age and yellow, the white will stay white and become more stark. I don't expect I'd be able to match the original finish color, but if I spray the entire top white w/ nitro it will all age together somewhat
Up close there's scratching in the wood, a couple nicks, etc. I'm not going to 'relic' the guitar but I don't care to fix any of that either.
As you point out, a sticker or something could make a pretty plain guitar more interesting. I haven't thought about that much. I could go for a confederate flag...that would be an eye catcher.
My 20 yr old daughter is on the process of wrapping her car. I may even look into that, it's cheap and reversible.
yeah that white is not going to age the same... it would bug the hell out of me!

I'd strip it and repaint white... its rare to find a guitar that speaks - and this one apparently speaks volumes... put some effort it and not only will you be ok with it (assuming you know what you are doing) but you will bump up its value :)

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I'll give you $600 for the Studio. That'll kill two birds with one stone. I'll have a white Studio(which I've been wanting lately) and you wont have a paint issue. Sound good?

Latest Threads