1st Gibson, irresponsible not to buy this Les Paul Studio, player grade

Dolebludger

Reaction score
You might try rubbing a spot of the overly white patch with some mild automotive compound. It it was sprayed with a cheap rattle can it might come right off. But it could be that a former owner had a decal or similar on this area, which prevented agoing. If that is the case, there is really no fix.

Last edited:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
You might try rubbing a spot of the overly white patch with some mild automotive compound. It it was sprayed with a cheap rattle can it might come right off. But it could be that a former owner had a decal or similar on this area, which prevented agoing. If that is the case, there is really no fix.
I've had another person suggest that too, I think I'll give it a try, not much to lose.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
As JMP stated, nice score!

I have an 2008 Alpine White Studio. Love the ebony board.

Enjoy.
is yours neck heavy/neck dive? Mines an 08 and is chambered and is the only guitar of mine (sg included) with some dive to it. Shortening the strap helps but its unusual to find such light bodied lps

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
VERY nice score Joe on a killer guitar.

Yes is would have been very irresponsible to have passed on that deal, and that's very good you didn't.

Same thing happened to me when I scored my 1st ever LP Studio at a pawnshop in Dec. 2019.

I would have been an IDIOT to pass up buying this guitar for $286 dollars at a local pawnshop.

The really needed to move a lot of their inventory and I made them a cash offer they accepted.

I wasn't in the market for a Studio, but I just couldn't pass this deal up just like you OP.

My '05 Gibson LP Studio:

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
VERY nice score Joe on a killer guitar.

Yes is would have been very irresponsible to have passed on that deal, and that's very good you didn't.

Same thing happened to me when I scored my 1st ever LP Studio at a pawnshop in Dec. 2019.

I would have been an IDIOT to pass up buying this guitar for $286 dollars at a local pawnshop.

The really needed to move a lot of their inventory and I made them a cash offer they accepted.

I wasn't in the market for a Studio, but I just couldn't pass this deal up just like you OP.

My '05 Gibson LP Studio:

Wow, you scored on that one for sure. As for mine, I've not cared much for white Les Paul's but I'm really liking this instrument. It's staying in tune real well so no complaints.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Wow, you scored on that one for sure. As for mine, I've not cared much for white Les Paul's but I'm really liking this instrument. It's staying in tune real well so no complaints.

Since '99 when I bought my Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Classic, all my guitars have been bought used.

I actually want there to be bruises and scars these used guitars , because I get a better deals on them.

It doesn't matter to me what color/refinish etc, or any minor issues the guitar has, as long as it plays and sounds great, any and all issue can be fixed. :)

Wise Guy

Reaction score
'What pickups did these come with? No markings other than Gibson stamped on them.'

I'd guess they're the 490R/490T set. Or maybe the 498T depending on what your output is.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
'What pickups did these come with? No markings other than Gibson stamped on them.'

I'd guess they're the 490R/490T set. Or maybe the 498T depending on what your output is.
I measured them this morning and got 7.5 neck & 13.3 bridge, so I guess that's probably a 498T

nomadh

Reaction score
Great deal. The white can age very nice. As it does that white splotch will bug you but there is an easy answer to enjoy the growing patina and not be irritated by the blemish. Play it for a year and be thinking on what tramp stamp to cover the area with. ITs the perfect compromise.
https://diycrafts9.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tramp-Stamp-Designs24.jpg

Mine too has a blemish and its a shame how it limits the incredible patina
107_7127 white lp.JPG

Its my wifes lp custom actually. She had tommy shaw scribble on it for some reason

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Or just send it to me. That discoloration is obviously a deal killer.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Great deal. The white can age very nice. As it does that white splotch will bug you but there is an easy answer to enjoy the growing patina and not be irritated by the blemish. Play it for a year and be thinking on what tramp stamp to cover the area with. ITs the perfect compromise.
https://diycrafts9.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tramp-Stamp-Designs24.jpg

Mine too has a blemish and its a shame how it limits the incredible patina
View attachment 542769

Its my wifes lp custom actually. She had tommy shaw scribble on it for some reason
Played it a few more hours today at band rehearsal. Seriously good guitar. After September and the gigs slow down just a bit I'm going to fix it, remove the offending paint and/or respray as needed, with nitro white. I don't mind some of chipping and odd finish wear. I also really like the color it's fading to. This guitar is winning me over. The guys in the two bands I'm in are pretty impressed with it as well. I'm a happy guy.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Score !!! HNGD, You done real good for 500.

nomadh

Reaction score
Played it a few more hours today at band rehearsal. Seriously good guitar. After September and the gigs slow down just a bit I'm going to fix it, remove the offending paint and/or respray as needed, with nitro white. I don't mind some of chipping and odd finish wear. I also really like the color it's fading to. This guitar is winning me over. The guys in the two bands I'm in are pretty impressed with it as well. I'm a happy guy.
I think even a true and very expensive expert would have a hard time matching aged AND continuing aging nitro. A beginner will get just what you already got. Some sort of sticker / design especially in that area could really make a plainer white guitar really pop. Sort of a first glance interest. Then as you look closer you see the cool aging more subtle patina at second look. It's cheap and easy and has no downside if you do decide to redo the area. Remember the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Latest Threads