1st Gibson, irresponsible not to buy this Les Paul Studio, player grade

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Just bought a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Studio for $500 w/ HSC at the local music store, it was on consignment. Appears all original, the white is fading to vintage white.

Biggest issue is bottom half of front, behind tail piece, was sprayed over with brighter white. Not sure what they were covering up but at that price for an otherwise very good sounding, playing, and feeling Les Paul its good with me. It looks like an ebony fretboard too.

Maybe see If I can strip the new paint off,,,or respray the top...not sure what the do. This is no museum piece, plenty player wear on back and sides.

In the last picture you can see the 'white' issue on the top. Any ideas as far as removal, or easy respray of the top w/ similar paint/clear., let me know.

20210605_141716_sm.jpg

20210605_141728sm.jpg

Last edited:

endial

Reaction score
You would need to be able to determine what the offending color is made of. Doubtful that will come off easily, without compromising the finish. Like JMP said, play it and forget it. Heck of a deal ya got there.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Agree with all above. You got a great deal on the real deal. Your amp will never hear the mismatched paint.:cool2:

And if it plays and sounds awesome for you, you got bragging rights when people ask what you paid! :shock:

Phil W

Reaction score
The position of the screw holes makes zero difference to the function of the pickups. They are cosmetic.

Foo for Thought

Reaction score
Given it's a player grade, I don't see any issue with trying to refinish it. That being said, I'd probably just opt for a good setup and play the hell out of it.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I cleaned it up a bit, turned the pickups around and through a set of strings on it. Action was a bit low, fretting out with whole step+ bends so I cranked the action a little and now this guitar is really singing. I'm pretty happy with it.
I've got gigs throughout the summer so I'll play the heck out of it for a few months and see if I'm motivated to do anything with the paint.

What pickups did these come with? No markings other than Gibson stamped on them.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I cleaned it up a bit, turned the pickups around and through a set of strings on it. Action was a bit low, fretting out with whole step+ bends so I cranked the action a little and now this guitar is really singing. I'm pretty happy with it.
I've got gigs throughout the summer so I'll play the heck out of it for a few months and see if I'm motivated to do anything with the paint.

What pickups did these come with? No markings other than Gibson stamped on them.
Being a studio, I think it’s the 498T/490R.

Congrats on the find. I’ve had my eye on an ebony board studio for a long time but they are getting pricey. Seeing them listed for $1200 on reverb, even Trogly mentioned these are worth easily $1000 now. Glad you got a good deal. The play wear means it was a well used and loved axe, hope it serves you just as well.

angeldeville

Reaction score
That a sweet guitar, I wouldn’t bother with the paint job, just blast it through a Marshall stack.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Being a studio, I think it’s the 498T/490R.

Congrats on the find. I’ve had my eye on an ebony board studio for a long time but they are getting pricey. Seeing them listed for $1200 on reverb, even Trogly mentioned these are worth easily $1000 now. Glad you got a good deal. The play wear means it was a well used and loved axe, hope it serves you just as well.
Funny how things go. I walked into this small shop for a set of strings (I normally buy online) and walked through the whole place and didn't see anything but ukeleles, acoustic guitars, electrics that were mostly inexpensive beginners gear. Had the strings in hand and went to pay and there it hung behind the register w/ a few other guitars. I'm like 'what's going on with that Gibson?'

Even though the paint is a little weird and the strings were ancient, I could tell this was a player w/ great bones I also spotted the ebony board right away. I'm lucky to have stumbled across it.

I've been saving gig money (what few gigs there have been) for a LP Traditional and vowed not to buy another guitar before a Traditional ...BUT...it literally would have been irresponsible to not buy the guitar at that price. I think $500 would maybe get you a headstock repaired Studio in these parts. I played it for a few hours tonight, it's a quality guitar for sure.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Funny how things go. I walked into this small shop for a set of strings (I normally buy online) and walked through the whole place and didn't see anything but ukeleles, acoustic guitars, electrics that were mostly inexpensive beginners gear. Had the strings in hand and went to pay and there it hung behind the register w/ a few other guitars. I'm like 'what's going on with that Gibson?'

Even though the paint is a little weird and the strings were ancient, I could tell this was a player w/ great bones I also spotted the ebony board right away. I'm lucky to have stumbled across it.

I've been saving gig money (what few gigs there have been) for a LP Traditional and vowed not to buy another guitar before a Traditional ...BUT...it literally would have been irresponsible to not buy the guitar at that price. I think $500 would maybe get you a headstock repaired Studio in these parts. I played it for a few hours tonight, it's a quality guitar for sure.
Was meant to be! Funny how the best guitars seem to come along when we’re not looking for them. There’s plenty of traditional models to be had, but these ebony studios are becoming more rare. Good choice bringing it home. :cheers2:

Latest Threads