1st Epiphone LP Purchase....Advice please!

Alty

Reaction score
Just thought i'd update the thread in my daughters adventures....

It looks like it will be the Standard in Pelham Blue she's getting, been holding off and looking around but nothing has caught our eye.

I did see a White Custom today (SH) in a shop for £229 and at first glance looked OK but a quick look at the back of the neck there was a 2" black line (Crack?) just above the nut and the gold covers on the PU's were tarnished but not really an issue, I am going in again to have another proper look over the next couple of days before we order the Standard, is there anything else I should be looking for in particular?

In other news, she's definately got the bug now....she bought herself a Tanglewood Earth for £25 on Sunday and by the looks of it hadn't been cleaned in 10 yrs so is now the proud owner of 2 Acoustics.

We tried removing the strings (Which also looked like they'd never been changed) and all but 2 of the Bridge Pins broke off at the head but we got them all out and an hour cleaning it and new set of pins for £3 and some light Ernie Balls and she's well chuffed, it's not perfect and needs some more work but it's playable and she's learning (not just about playing but taking care of her guitars) as she goes along.

Cheers

Leon

rem22

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, it's often one of the big problems on internet, you give advices but rarely got a feedback...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Good for her! Looks like she's really into it. Soon she'll have a bad case of GAS!:D

Alty

Reaction score
The plot thickens....

Soon she'll have a bad case of GAS!

LOL, she just missed a Tanglewood Strat for £30 last week....don't worry though she still wants a LP as well.

Saw a 2001 White Pearloid, with hard case for £170 locally but it might be sold, won't know until Monday so....will update if any news.

I did a quick look and know it is liked by at least one member who kindly contributed to this thread and my daughter loves the look of it and I know you lot like pics so here you go....

Attachments

• LP Etxreme.JPG
    LP Etxreme.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 31

Alty

Reaction score
The road to selection continues and goes off road....

So as we continue to try and look at what my daughter likes we take a diversion but not at the end of our journey yet....

I went back to look at the White Custom (SH) mentioned earlier and pointed out the possible break in the Headstock to the shop owner and he said he never noticed it and will check it out as it could just be a break in the laquer....but as my daughter was with me she tried it first and....didn't like the sound of it....maybe it was the way it was set up and/or a combination of the Fender amp it was plugged into that didn't do it justice but she wasn't enthusiastic about it at all, so....

She tried a Telecaster for feel and sound but said it wasn't for her, so....

Next on the list she tried was a rather nice looking (more in a bit) Ibanez AS-73 and it hit a spot as she loved the sound of it and looks, it was SH but looked in great condition but on closer inspection the strings coming from the bridge to the tailpiece were at an angle and didn't look right but at least we were getting somewhere....

Then while we were there she tried a Fender CD60CE in Mahogany, which looked and sounded good....but to be honest it wasn't the guitar that put me off but the sales pitch....said it was a solid top when it isn't, the amp we tried it with wasn't expensive but told us it was £110 new and £70 SH but found out it was only £70 brand new from most other retailers....while such things are of no importance to my daughter they are to me so left it there.

Onwards and upwards....today we went into another shop and she remembered her love for the EPI Hummingbird when she was looking for her first guitar but at the time not enough money for it, so she tried it again and the love was gone, didn't like the sound so she tried a Fender CD100CE, this time with a solid top in Mahogany but wasn't as enthusiastic as earlier with the similar CD60....mmmm!

So before we left she picked up one more to try and spent the longest time trying it than any of the others up to now and it was a EPI ES-339 and it was plugged into a Fender Mustang II....the same amp she has waiting for her at home, it was in Black which she doesn't like but on returning home we checked out the Natural finish and it could be the one....but there is a Pelham Blue one available....!

I say could because we are going to check out another store in the next few days that have a lot more choice and she's going to try another LP just to be sure....if that is possible :)

P.S. What happened with the 2001 Pearloid above, well....as I said the guy said it might be sold but will let me know, I thought for the money and if it was in good condition it probably would have gone so didn't bother checking my email fpr a few days (No notifications) but 10 days later I was clearing out some messages and found he had indeed replied and said it was still available but I never saw it....what a dick! and a there happened to be one turned up a few days ago on Ebay for £380, I think it's the same one....!!! (But could be coincidence)

And to finish with a pic as this is text heavy, I saw this today, Right Handed....clue....in Blue, a EPI LP Plus apparently, as new with the stickers still on the PUPs....for £230 but doesn't somehow look right to me. :)

Attachments

• lp truss.JPG
    lp truss.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 38

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I say just buy her a standard LP in the color of her choice. I guess you can try and find a good deal on a used one, but with the holidays coming up, you can probably get a new one for a decent price.

That way you won't have to worry about the condition. It'll be new, and if there are any issues you can simply exchange it for another one.

rem22

Reaction score
I say just buy her a standard LP in the color of her choice. I guess you can try and find a good deal on a used one, but with the holidays coming up, you can probably get a new one for a decent price.

That way you won't have to worry about the condition. It'll be new, and if there are any issues you can simply exchange it for another one.

well I'm not sure, she seems to be looking for a specific tone and feel....
I'd keep trying guitars in stores until she says "Daddy I want this one so much !!! Pleaaaaaase !!!"
That'll be the one :)

Alty

Reaction score
I'd keep trying guitars in stores until she says "Daddy I want this one so much !!! Pleaaaaaase !!!"

This....:)

Tanqueray

Reaction score

Ahh I gotcha.

Well, like Lutherie said, keep her away from the historics. That was probably the best piece of advice my local guitar shop owner gave to me when I started out. :laugh2:

Alty

Reaction score
OK chaps (and Chapettes) last update and it's a done deal, she's getting a ES-339 in Cherry Red, wants the Scratch Plate removing and we got a genuine Epi Hardcase for £33 in the deal, so all happy and I can get my life back on track....:)

So just wanted to thank all those that contributed to the thread, your advice did help so Thanks and to add thanks for the warm welcome to the Forum, just got to find my way over to the 'Other....' section.

:thumb:

Cheers all.

Leon

Alty

Reaction score
Like this?

HNGD. Looks lovely and have heard good things about them :thumb:.

Thanks and yes that's the one, except hers has a black switch tip, and she wants the pick guard removing, we couldn't find a Pelham Blue one, anywhere, and saw the Red one in the flesh and online photos don't do them justice as it's lush.

It lands tomorrow.... :D

Alty

Reaction score
Lol, waiting in all day and it turns up 2 mins before daughter walks in from School, so now it sits upstairs hidden and not even had time to have a look ourselves but we did get a dispatch email today saying the Case should be here tomorrow, which is a bonus as when we ordered they said they don't know when it will come (Could be months) as waiting for Epiphone to send them....so will have a good look when it arrives and take some pics....

I know this chat is a little off topic in this part of the forum but will move over to 'Other Epis's' when the pics are done.

Lutherie

Reaction score
No hurry, we like our Epis in all size and shape. Now the pictures :applause:

Latest Threads