1998 Epi Les Paul peghead tuner hole gouge

afrevele

Reaction score
So I have this Epi LP Standard that someone enlarged the original tuner holes to put Gotoh tuners in. When they drilled out the holes (instead of reaming like they should've) they gouged a chunk of the veneer out. Then they tried to reglue the chip poorly. Any advise on a repair for this without a veneer replacement? If repair isn't possible, anyone know where to get a replacement veneer? Can't seem to find a source for Epi overlays anywhere. Thanks!

Attachments

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Most likely the finish is polyester. That severely limits options for an invisible repair.

My suggestion is live with it. Because to fix that is going to cost about as much as a new guitar of the same type.

Otherwise, a full strip-down of the headstock finish followed by a custom overlay and custom logo is probably going to be the easiest way to get it done. Which won't be cheap.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, this is the sort of guitar you manage to buy super cheap due to the incompetent installation job, and enjoy knowing a more minor aesthetic issue has enabled you to get a good instrument cheap.

afrevele

Reaction score
Yea I could just play it as is but would like to fix the damage. Not a stranger to repair work just seeing if anyone had some insight. Would like to find a precut overlay If I can. Easier than cutting it down myself. Guess if I was going to redo it myself I’d probably use a holly veneer or such vs a poly one. Probably look better as well

fumblefinger

Reaction score
The "veneer" is a plastic piece that is glued to the headstock. I had one from a mod I did for a client, but couldn't find it when I looked. If you could find any Epi LP with that same headstock cheap, you could transplant it and shoot some urethane with an airbrush to touch it up.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "veneer" is a plastic piece that is glued to the headstock. I had one from a mod I did for a client, but couldn't find it when I looked. If you could find any Epi LP with that same headstock cheap, you could transplant it and shoot some urethane with an airbrush to touch it up.
That's not a horrible idea.
Stratosphere from time to time has Epiphone husks with broken headstocks, and I've seen them on Ebay as well.

afrevele

Reaction score
So can’t seem to find any precut epi overlays but can get Gibson precuts w/o the inlay. Am I correct in that the main difference between the two is the extra ears at the top? Are the dimensions basically the same so I would just have to deal with the ears vs having to trim out the entire overlay? Would definitely save time

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can’t seem to find any precut epi overlays but can get Gibson precuts w/o the inlay. Am I correct in that the main difference between the two is the extra ears at the top? Are the dimensions basically the same so I would just have to deal with the ears vs having to trim out the entire overlay? Would definitely save time
It's just a slab of Holly veneer.
You don't need to buy a "Gibson" or "Epiphone" veneer. If you're going to go through the work of repairing that one, just buying the veneer is easier and cheaper than sourcing an original or removing it from a finished headstock.

Kennoyce

Reaction score
Nope, Epiphone headstocks are much longer than Gibson headstocks.

Latest Threads