1994 Les Paul Studio all original with 100k pots ??

Andy Ray

Reaction score
I just picked up a sweet 1994 Les Paul Studio black with Ebony fretboard,
I had an 89 last year but it was just too heavy and had the circuit board pickups which I just didn't get used to so I ended up moving it on.
Everything seems completely original and electronics seem untouched,
I'm curious about the pots though as I read somewhere that they're 100k 'special audio' tone pots,
i've never known such low value pots but assume it's all for a reason, is this pretty normal for this era ? any ideas ?

I'm also thinking it aint broke so don't fix it, but just curious.

The tone pots read '440 - 71079' and 'R13794' but can't tell what's on the Vol pots as they're soldered over, might end in '003' but seem to have same 'R13974' number, maybe that's a date code ?

but damn it's the nicest playing LP I've had yet!
1994LPS_1.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
If you have a multimeter you could measure them.

If you like how it sounds though, just leave it as it is :)

I have a 1982 Greco that came with 300k volume pots and 100k tone pots and that guitar didn't sound very good. I replaced the harness and then the pickups and it's one of my favorites now.

judson

Reaction score
congrats...studios are the best bang for the buck , i have a few of them....

yes those are 100k pots...i have the same in one of mine that sound fine but i will get around to changing them out but i have alot of projects ahead of that one....i also was surprised of the 100k and your others might be 300k or 250k if i remember which studio i have with that...check them in this data base if you want to be sure.....

here is a link you might find interesting that points to that number being 100k...

this is a great reference and it also show which guitars they were placed in....dont think that that is 100% correct as you will see they didnt list the studios as having those but it is what it is...

a multimeter will confirm whatever it is but i will trust the part number, what they put it in i think is a 50/50 shot

Last edited:

Oddball667

Reaction score
...just got a 93 studio 4 days ago and am completely new to Gibson , only commenting to keep track of this post and possibly learn something as I'm sure other than cosmetic appearances our guitars are very semilar.
....there grey guitars man , congratulations.

judson

Reaction score
...heres my 93 studio just in case you were curious.
you guys will love those 90's studios congrats.....play the hell out of them dont treat em like a baby, a few nicks here and there doesnt affect how they play...and the ebony fretboards are a plus in my book as well..

MLP is a great place to ask questions...these guys know everything, i am serious about that...amazing but true

i know just a little bit from being year a few years...others will chime in for any questions :h5:

Andy Ray

Reaction score
If you have a multimeter you could measure them.

If you like how it sounds though, just leave it as it is :)

I have a 1982 Greco that came with 300k volume pots and 100k tone pots and that guitar didn't sound very good. I replaced the harness and then the pickups and it's one of my favorites now.
it sounds good so far, i'll wait and see how it is a band volume, I have some SD Antiquities but I'm reluctant to mess with this one yet lol.
Good point on the multimeter, I do have one so I'll check them tomorrow.

Andy Ray

Reaction score
you guys will love those 90's studios congrats.....play the hell out of them dont treat em like a baby, a few nicks here and there doesnt affect how they play...and the ebony fretboards are a plus in my book as well..

MLP is a great place to ask questions...these guys know everything, i am serious about that...amazing but true

i know just a little bit from being year a few years...others will chime in for any questions :h5:
Thanks ! and yes indeed, I've been watching for one to appear for sale again, this was pretty cheap and just enough 'rough' that i'll definitely play the hell out of it and not be precious!
my last one was a maple neck but this is definitely mahogany and i like the trapezoid inlays, and love that smooth dark ebony fretboard, i never did get used to the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups in the 89 I had but I'm really loving how this is sounding so far :)

Andy Ray

Reaction score
I see a lot of 'good wood' and 'golden era' mentioned about mid 90's LPs, I don't know but it sure is nice.
Gibson service sent me this brochure and said it's likely the 'swiss cheese' weight relief, I dunno though, my 89 was about 12lbs, this is about 10lbs, still weighty but nice.
1994_LPStudio_specs.jpg

judson

Reaction score
I bought mine dinged up , its not beat to hell but ots a 27 year old guitar that you can tell was played .
It only has one ding that bothers me because I stare at it as I play , so its more of a distraction then anything , would like to color it in or something
the simple way for it to go away is just drink a few more beers....

strange how at some point it magically disappears ... :dunno:

but there may be more appearing the next time so dont fight it....

dspelman

Reaction score
I usually avoid pulling the cover plates as long as possible. Too often it's disappointing.

I have a theory that the air inside there was packaged at the factory and shouldn't be disturbed or the factory settings will all disappear and the soldering will suddenly look like an amputee did it with his/her teeth.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I for one agree with this idea as the last time I was the "guitar player" in a band we were sort of a punk/ alternative kinda band wich is a fancy way of saying we sucked as musicians lol and subscribers to the theory that "if you treat your guitar like shit , it will respect you" and spent most of practice/ shows piss drunk and just being loud and out of time.....but ill put it this way , I was the only kid in school screwing the cheerleaders on a regular basis that wasnt a jock.
But since I've grown older I respect my gear more ( probably because I have to buy it myself now and have 6 kids of my own) and know that I COULD find another 93 les paul studio EXACTLY like this one , but I'll never find another one that sounds the same or for $150 .
Plus my girl gets super angry when I drink so I tend to limit my beers to two or three at a time , and I'm actually taking music ALOT more serious in the past decade or so.
....im kinda thinking of just touching it up with a marker or something so it isnt just bare wood and a glaring spot on my guitar.
Other than that I dont care , not trying to impress anyone or resale it , just appreciate what I have and how lucky i was getting this guitar .
Ive never even considered a Gibson of any kind simply because of the price tag on them .
.....and lets face it , a 1993 gibson les paul studio for $150 is a pretty ounce in a life time deal , and technicaly I actually played $0 for the les paul and $150 for the Marshall halfstack I traded for it and another Marshall......winning at life.

Andy Ray

Reaction score
I usually avoid pulling the cover plates as long as possible. Too often it's disappointing.

I have a theory that the air inside there was packaged at the factory and shouldn't be disturbed or the factory settings will all disappear and the soldering will suddenly look like an amputee did it with his/her teeth.
It's weird, i did amuse myself when i opened it thinking 'welp, there it goes.. i just released the magic tone air' there's no going back now.

BUT the selector switch and pickups work fine for now so i'm keeping that magic locked in o.@

Andy Ray

Reaction score
@Oddball667 yes indeed, i'm kinda glad this one is just rough enough that i'm not precious about it, and no-one else either wanted it or knew what it was ( the guy didn't even advertise the year and the photos looked shit lol ) I sold my '89 last year but it was even heavier, the pickups were hard to get along with and i didn't want to modify it - so this time I was happy to find one someone didn't even bother to clean it or take decent photos of when they put it up for sale, I don't think I let on how happy I was to find this one.

I've also been taking music much more seriously than I ever did, kids are grown and fortunately I still have mates keen to play and create music on a weekly basis which didn't happen for a long time with kids n stuff, to be honest it's probably having given up drink and most other vices that has thrown me in to a new focus on playing, wish I had've thought of it 30 yrs ago !

Before covid messed things up it was great to see all the '90s bands reviving, no doubt, like me, their kids had grown up and moved out too haha

Oddball667

Reaction score
Oh man I have kids all over my house lol , so I play it and straight back to the case , Jackson sits in the guitar stand , oddly this cheap jackson has a very semilar tine to the LP but about 5lbs lighter , just in E standard instead of D standard like I have the LP.
But I was always around metal / punk guys in South Florida till i moved to Montana for over a decade and played bass in a blues rock band till one day the decided to play nothing but zepplin and I took my gear and went home.
But the complete change in music caused me to broaden my horizons and like and listen to stuff I never would of simply being around death metal and hard core bands .
Ive always been careful with my basses but didn't baby them and ive thrown ppls beers across the room into walls for setting them on my heads before , so I dont really beat my stuff up .
But you cant own and play anything regularly or gig with it without some sort of battle scares .

Oddball667

Reaction score
Thats my old Marshall and a 72 sg , and dude has a 70 sg as well , there all across the street less than 50 yards from my house and I can play them whenever , that double neck has tje guitar sound you here in your head its amazing .
And trust me there WELL used.

Attachments

Latest Threads