1993 Studio... quality?

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
I purchased a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio for $600. Yes, $600. Brought it to my local luthier where it currently resides, and in about a month and $750 later, ta-dah, like new.

When I was discussing this with a friend, the question of quality came up. How are 1993 Studios in general?

Mind you this is one of the Ebony w/ golds, so it has an ebony fretboard rather than a rosewood.

Thanks for your input~

~jim :dude:

04renostar

Reaction score
uhhh... you bought it for 600 & are now expecting to spend another 750 for the luthier's work? What are you having done?

As for quality of the 93's, I haven't played one myself but have heard that early 90's studios are usually very nice.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought it for 600 and It was pretty beat up, i'm getting a full restoration done.

And that's what i've heard, just wanted you experts' opinions.

upl8tr

Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the forum. :thumb:

Don't worry, you'll find that there are loads of people here that have Studios, some will have actually played a 93 and will be able to give you advice instead of questioning your financial decisions!

:wave:

fairlanericky

Reaction score
Not trying to be an ass here, but why do a full resto on a 93? You say yours was pretty beat up. IMHO if it played and sounded good enough to buy, why not leave it that way? All of the dents, scratches and worn finish are part of the "mojo" of an older guitar. I'm curious as to what you had done.

I have a 93 and although it's in pretty good shape, the white has yellowed nicely, with only a few dings and a little finish checking, I'd never "restore" it.
The build quality is fine as far as I can tell. A well built Studio.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Haha thanks man! Very glad to be here. And yeah, that's what i'm really looking for haha. Glad to know there are some people out there who do care for the new guy! ;)

And fairlanericky,

Yeah I know it was a tough decision. It was my first 'real' guitar, so I wanted it to be new, at least feel it. I'm sure that one day i'm going to cherish the as you say mojo, it gives a guitar its feel and connection with you, but how can I have a connection with mojo someone else made? ;)

River

Reaction score
Yeah I know it was a tough decision. It was my first 'real' guitar, so I wanted it to be new, at least feel it. I'm sure that one day i'm going to cherish the as you say mojo, it gives a guitar its feel and connection with you, but how can I have a connection with mojo someone else made? ;)
Hell, I put almost that much into a $200 Epi. The right guitar is the right guitar. :thumb:

Welcome, and :photos:

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
River, I updated my signature, so hopefully its on this post, and the les paul in there is my baby. However, she's in the shop now gettin stripped and i told the luthier to surprise me with a burst ;) I gave him 5 options... surprise surprise... it'll be a fun day ahaha.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so the pic didn't upload... brb..

fairlanericky

Reaction score
Haha thanks man! Very glad to be here. And yeah, that's what i'm really looking for haha. Glad to know there are some people out there who do care for the new guy! ;)

And fairlanericky,

I can understand that. Yeah, someone else may have roughed it up, but that's partially where the guitar's character comes from. It also comes from the person strapping it on. Each player adds to the "mojo". In the end, it's your guitar.
And yes, welcome to MLP and the "Studio" club. I love both of mine.

River

Reaction score
That little five-image pic in your sig?

128760249758556075.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

dawgchamp

Reaction score
Not trying to be an ass here, but why do a full resto on a 93? You say yours was pretty beat up. IMHO if it played and sounded good enough to buy, why not leave it that way? All of the dents, scratches and worn finish are part of the "mojo" of an older guitar. I'm curious as to what you had done.

I have a 93 and although it's in pretty good shape, the white has yellowed nicely, with only a few dings and a little finish checking, I'd never "restore" it.
The build quality is fine as far as I can tell. A well built Studio.

Similar to my '92. I bought her from the original owner for $600, and had my luthier do a proper set-up. Total, including purchase, $700.

She's my number one. I will never sell this guitar.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
I don't ever plan to sell this girl. She's gorgeous... i've had dreams about her...

We ARE talking about guitars right?

Satch0922

Reaction score
93 Studios are legendary! Why you might ask? Because I have had one since 1993 and a lot of guitars have come and gone but this one is still here. I have 9 Les Pauls and this one will hang with the best of them. I have often said it will be the last one I sell when I am starving and need to eat! :thumb:

PICT0002-1.jpg

Latest Threads