1993 les paul standard/ an 89’ goldtop

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Hey guys, im picking up a 1993 vintage sunburst standard on friday. I was wondering if anyone knows which pickups are in it? Its a kijiji deal and i don’t get a ton of time to play before i buy it and would like to know what im getting a bit more, ill post pics on the weekend, Also because of the new acquistion i will probably have to end up selling my 89’ goldtop standard w/ p-100s . I know how much people love those pickups... so at the moment i have a set of lollar 50s wind p-90s in em, if anyone is interested , let me know. I havent made my mind up yet , but if the right price comes along, id also include the p-100s , not that anyone will want them haha. Here’s some pics..

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Never understood the hate for P100s.

I have a Special with them and it sounds great.

Yeah they're not P90s but they're not meant to be P90s.
[/QUOTE
Agreed. I didn’t really mind them. I heard the lollars and loved them

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Ok cool, i think i had those before in an SG , think they were pretty good as i recall. Thanks!
The 490R and 498T are OK.
A couple of threads discuss them IIRC.
I put a Seymour Duncan '59 (that I already had) in the bridge position when the 498T started squealing
and never looked back. Eventually a friend gave me a SD '59N so I replaced the 490R.
It was a great improvement.

David Garner

Reaction score
My 93 Standard had the 490r/498t set. I replaced them with a 59 and a JB, which are very similar. I’ve had 57 Classics, a dual 59 set, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set in it and it just loves the hotter bridge pickup for some reason. I can tweak heights and pole pieces to make other types work, but the 498t and the JB just work with little effort. That’s probably just the tone of my particular guitar. My 16 Traditional prefers lower wind unpotted PAF type pickups.

Latest Threads