1992 les paul classic plus, but the plus is scratched out.

Is it a plus?

• Yes it's a plus

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No its not

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Bluebassmike

Reaction score
Hey guys, first thread here. Made this account to see if anyone could shine some light on this anomaly. I got a crazy good deal on a 1992 les paul classic (plus?), with a broken headstock that wasn't yet repaired. Got it professionally repaired it plays and sounds amazing. I never knew there were so many small differences in the early ones that make them more sought after until after I got it and did some research. I also found out about the pluses. I took off my bridge pickup because I was curious if mine could be a plus cause it has a pretty nice top and this is what I saw. It was stamped plus but the plus was crossed out. Not sure why the owner would have done it so I guess it was done at the factory. What do you guys think? Can I call it a plus?
20210727_003239.jpg
Screenshot_20210727-093440_Gallery.jpg

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The '92 Classic's are usually great players!
Congratulations on your find!
:thumb:

Strange and interesting.
You'll probably never know the definite answer!
Maybe contact Gibson and ask if it happened that a previously identified "plus" would be
re-evaluated to a non "plus".

The "plus" models had more dramatic streaks patterns so it's possible that after
finishing the lines didn't show as expected and they id' and sold it as a regular Classic.

hellzington

Reaction score
Definitely a plus! Here's my '95 LP Classic Plus in the elusive Cinnamon Burst finish. This was a fun guitar to buy. I bought it from the original owner who purchased it in '95, played it a little, then let it sit under his bed for 20+ years. When I got it, it came with the original receipt and hangtags (even one that suggested to "Go Online with Gibson!"). It didn't even ever have the pickguard installed, so new screw holes! Enjoy your axe.

Attachments

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Very nice find! Those early Classics are excellent guitars, and it’s great that you have rescued this one and brought it back to life again after it’s headstock break.

I cannot conceive of any possible reason why an owner would decide to scribble over the plus designation hidden in the pickup cavity. I reckon this was very likely done at the factory in order to downgrade the guitar from Plus to regular Classic for retail. I read recently that at the time the early Classic Plus models were produced there were complaints from dealers about the inconsistency of how the tops were being graded. Maybe the scoring out of the plus designation on this example is related to that situation...

Here’s a ‘92 Classic Plus I used to own that had a top a bit like Jimmy Page’s #1, with the maple looking pretty plain until you see it at just the right angle and the figuring becomes apparent:

6702564F-4E41-47C8-9737-2D687E7B367F.jpeg
50D819CA-660B-4DB8-8A0C-164703102062.jpeg

Bluebassmike

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I don't plan on selling the guitar so it doesn't really matter how it's "classified" I guess. To me it's a plus! I might swap the pups out, I've never been a big fan of modding guitars but since it's already been repaired I'm not too worried. Here's some before and after pics and shot of it with My yamaha SG2000 which is a killer guitar.
Screenshot_20210728-104041_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210728-104101_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210728-104054_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-104041_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210728-104101_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210728-104054_Gallery.jpg

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Looks like a neat, clean break, and now it’s back together there should be no problems there.

For what it’s worth, your guitar is certainly no less figured than my old ‘92 Classic that made it out of the factory with its Plus designation intact despite being relatively plain. In any case, I’m not sure there’s actually a huge premium attached to the Plus status for these early Classics these days - more likely the aesthetic appeal of the top would simply stand on its own merits with any prospective buyer. All academic anyway seeing as you plan to keep and play the thing. :cheers:

madhermit

Reaction score
Are the scribble marks under the finish? If they are, that would be a factory thing. If not, who knows, back to where you started.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
From Vintage Guitar magazine, May 1998, Eric Shoaf's definitive article on the evolution of the Les Paul Classic:

“As previously mentioned, tops on the Classic Plus ran the gamut from fairly mild flame to highly figured. A dealer ordering four Classic Plus models from Gibson might receive two which were nicely figured and two which were much less flamey. But the price was the same for each and explaining the difference to customers wasn't easy.”

Latest Threads