1991 in a Box

THAWK819

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this new pedal or bought any others from this company?

It's built by "Funny Little Boxes," which I had never heard of before, but seems to be a pretty small, boutique pedal company making some cool stuff in limited quantities. Given all the time and money I've sunken into dialing in tones like McCready and Gossard on Ten, I'm pretty excited to give this whirl. I was in queue 3 according to the site, but already got my invoice yesterday, so I'll hopefully have one in a few weeks.

Aside from the obvious benefit of getting closer to the Pearl Jam tone I love with less in the signal chain up front, I'm looking forward to having a drive that will sound at least a little different from all the other players out there and isn't widely available like Tube screamers and Klons.

tzd

Reaction score
I'm on the waitlist, still waiting for the email invitation to order!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
$220 shipped CAD. Ouch. Although I paid that for my Mile End Effects - Ronald Preamp 150 (Roland Space Echo preamp clone) and it came from Montreal.

And the 1991 isn't likely to earn the builder a cease and desist order like the Ronald did for Mile End.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Cool idea for a pedal, tryin nail a particular album tone. Huge pj fan. But the demo is not impressive tbh. Pretty sure one can nail that tone by running a ts9 into front on a marshall, I think stone and mike used this setup on Ten

THAWK819

Reaction score
Cool idea for a pedal, tryin nail a particular album tone. Huge pj fan. But the demo is not impressive tbh. Pretty sure one can nail that tone by running a ts9 into front on a marshall, I think stone and mike used this setup on Ten
I agree about the TS9 into Marshall; I think that's exactly what they did on most of the tracks on Ten. I've come close with Horizon Precision Drive into Friedman, but I'm seriously considering downsizing my rig and I feel like this will be some insurance for preserving the tone of the stuff I play most.

redking

Reaction score
Sounds great! I think you can nail that tone if you try to mix 2 different sounding drive pedals in parallel with each other. Maybe something more distorted like a RAT with more of an overdrive like maybe a Klon circuit.

THAWK819

Reaction score
I should probably receive the pedal sometime before Thanksgiving. Once it arrives I'll try to post some sound comparisons between this pedal alone into the clean channel of my amp vs. drive pedal into the amp's dirty channel trying to produce the same tones.

moreles

Reaction score
This stuff about tone-matching effects mystifies me. I can see it for recorded sound reproduced through phones -- it's easy to duplicate a recorded tone that's been heard that way to begin with -- but for live sound, this is totally WTF??? to me. I find the experience of live sound so different from recorded/reproduced sound that I find effects sort of help, but that the result is nowhere near the same -- except on the "recording" level. Having heard players like Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler, and many others live, I experience the recorded or "effected"{ versions of their sounds as being thin caricatures, rough duplicates of already-processed versions of their actual tone.It doesn't mean that the sounds are necessarily bad, but they're not nearly the same, to my ears anyway. I mean... amps, right?

hbucker

Reaction score
"This pedal will make your amp sound exactly like - this," can be fraught. Both in concept and in my experience. Especially when many amps tend to sound so different from each other inherently.

In front of the right amp, I'll bet this pedal sounds great.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks like he's going into a Victory (mostly Marshall inspired or clones), you're not going to sound the same with a Fender combo for instance.

THAWK819

Reaction score
I agree completely regarding amp variance. I'm hoping that my Friedman, also basically just a souped up Marshall in spirit, will respond similarly to the Victory in the demo. I don't have any unrealistic expectations here; I'm seeing it as a shot at getting closer to emulating the tone of a few of my all time favorite records with less items in the chain to dial in. For $100, I'll take a shot at tickling that nostalgia when I play the "Alive" riffs along with my Ten CD.

tzd

Reaction score
Have you received it yet? They just emailed me telling me I'm in the queue for APRIL 2022. Long wait...

THAWK819

Reaction score
No yet; but according to the last e-mail it should be in the next 2 weeks.

THAWK819

Reaction score
Yeah... just to give any of you who are also waiting on this pedal some frame of reference, I paid my invoice on 10/9 and have heard nothing (specific to my order anyway) since. I'm hoping for the general, "before Christmas" timeframe that was orignially mentioned to hold up.

Latest Threads