1990 Les Paul Standard - Same prod. year, headstock and logo differences

Fabianov

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I own a 1990 Les Paul, bought it new at the time. A friend of mine came to studio with his 1990, he bought it used. I noticed that the logo on headstock in his one is different, it’s thinner, even the “Les Paul model” written is lighter, sort of faded. headstock on his one is 3mm larger on top than mines, headstock hardware have been replaced with gold ones but this is something he did. Other than that it is correctly very heavy as mine (as usual in 1990) and it sounds great. I don’t think it’s a fake but, does anyone knows something about these differences in the same production year?

107462923_10157115494620951_3280782508162589988_n.jpg

Attachments

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Changes within a production year happen. You think they wait until January before introducing changes?

Fabianov

Reaction score
Changes within a production year happen. You think they wait until January before introducing changes?
Thank you for the answer, I basically think no nothing. What I was asking was more, in depth, something like, “is there anybody that knows the story/meaning/reason about this difference?” Maybe you have an answer on this too. Thank you again

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Check Gibsons from the 70s, some headstocks are pretty wide, some are not. Or the cutaway: On some it is very pointy, on some others it's not. Even some cutaways are pointy AND seem to strech away from the body which looks very odd...

In the 80s/90s there were some minor differences like the discussed headstock shapes and logos. Nowadays the shaping is constant.

Fabianov

Reaction score
Check Gibsons from the 70s, some headstocks are pretty wide, some are not. Or the cutaway: On some it is very pointy, on some others it's not. Even some cutaways are pointy AND seem to strech away from the body which looks very odd...

In the 80s/90s there were some minor differences like the discussed headstock shapes and logos. Nowadays the shaping is constant.
Also, my collectors choice n.18 Dutchburst has an even wider headstock compared on Both the 90

Last edited:

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I played a few bursts from the late 50s - '60 and even on them you can (and will) find differences. ;)

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Not every original burst / vintage Les Paul is a great guitar. Sure, the stories of some guitars is great, the patina, the faded finishes, cool stuff. But I'm no vintage/Gibson/whatsoever nerd, I just like playing good-sounding guitars which have a great playability. No matter from which decade they are, from which manufacturer.... :)

Ever read the Beauty of the burst book? Check out the alignment of some tuners, the headstock shapings, "mis-matched" tops... Enough reasons for customers to send them back to the store! But back then people just played the sh*t out of them and kept focussed on what's more important: the music itself.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s no real rhyme or reason for Gibson changing bits and pieces.... the mop logo has gone through many alterations.

Yours was another approach to the original 50s style.

Fabianov

Reaction score
Not every original burst / vintage Les Paul is a great guitar. Sure, the stories of some guitars is great, the patina, the faded finishes, cool stuff. But I'm no vintage/Gibson/whatsoever nerd, I just like playing good-sounding guitars which have a great playability. No matter from which decade they are, from which manufacturer.... :)

Ever read the Beauty of the burst book? Check out the alignment of some tuners, the headstock shapings, "mis-matched" tops... Enough reasons for customers to send them back to the store! But back then people just played the sh*t out of them and kept focussed on what's more important: the music itself.
I do surely agree with you, but still, original burts have that sort of charisma or mojo that, I know, has nothing to do with sound or playability. I have to tell you that when I tried the CC18 plus other CC same day same shop I was amazed! Had to buy it. I believe I played at least more than a hundred Les pauls over the years (not owned that many) but trust me, to me, this Dutchburst is far the very best piece of wood I’ve ever played in my entire life. Will never sell it. Happy we found eachother

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Of course they have as they are holy grails to the most of this board. Some of the guitars which didn't sound good (really!) were to some others the best sounding guitars they ever played.

That's what charisma can do. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I like the times when there was no big fuss about this vintage stuff and the focus was more on the music than on the shade of creme the vintage pickup rings have.

Fabianov

Reaction score
ok. I personally bought my 1990 new in 1990 and it’s still one of my fav. Quite heavy but still unique to me. This also means ...I am gettin older . You have to admit that some guitars/brands aren’t made as good as Before anymore. Even this thing of the artisan process that made one different from the other is still, in my opinion, a plus. PS: sorry if my English isn’t perfect, it’s not my primary language, hope you understand anyway what I try to say.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Neither it's mine (I'm from Germany). Don't worry, your English is very good.

I actually had a 91 Les Paul Std. which was very good. But it wasn't that heavy. Wish I never sold it...! :hmm:

Latest Threads