1990 Les Paul Classic

Artjr

Reaction score
I owned a few Les Pauls 2012 Std a 76 Deluxe and a 04 Std.I never fell in love and gave up on Les Paul's .A couple of weeks ago I started asking around about a Les Paul with a slimmer neck. People recommended a Classic. I couldn't find anything local and I started looking on line. GC had one in another state that looked real good for a killer price that was just traded in. It had a goofy serial number 0 4xx. I call Gibson customer service and the person I spoke to said send pictures because I was told my Gibson never used serial numbers like that. I dicided I would order it anyway , knowing I could return it to my local GC. I still sent pictures to Gibson. Gibson never did get back to me. The guitar showed up 2 days later and it was in mint condition same with the OHSC, the only thing I didn't like was that that last owner installed locking tuners (delta series 510z).I put a set of strings on it and started playing. After 3 weeks now I'm so glad I ordered it and didn't wait for Gibson to reply.this is by far the the best sounding best playing guitar I ever owned. It just took me 20 years to find one.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
:photos:

I don't know if you are aware but those early Classics are quite highly regarded. I have a 92 and it's a great sounding guitar.

Does yours still have the original 498R/500T* pickups on there? Some people change them out but I quite like them.

*Corrected.

The Architect

Reaction score
The serial number you give is typical for a pre-2000 Classic. The first number is the last digit of the year and the last 3 are the sequence number.

I love mine but after 15 years I switched out the pick ups for a pair of SD Antiquities.

tzd

Reaction score

I don't know if you are aware but those early Classics are quite highly regarded. I have a 92 and it's a great sounding guitar.

Does yours still have the original 498R/490T pickups on there? Some people change them out but I quite like them.
The pickup should be 498R/500T.

Chasmar

Banned
Reaction score
I had a '94 goldtop Classic that I sold about a year ago. I never liked the super skinny neck it had on it. To each is own, that is for sure! Congrats!

Left Paw

Reaction score
The pickups are certainly hot. But if that is a fully original first-year (1990) Classic, I wouldn't change them out.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I owned a few Les Pauls 2012 Std a 76 Deluxe and a 04 Std.I never fell in love and gave up on Les Paul's .A couple of weeks ago I started asking around about a Les Paul with a slimmer neck. People recommended a Classic. I couldn't find anything local and I started looking on line. GC had one in another state that looked real good for a killer price that was just traded in. It had a goofy serial number 0 4xx. I call Gibson customer service and the person I spoke to said send pictures because I was told my Gibson never used serial numbers like that. I dicided I would order it anyway , knowing I could return it to my local GC. I still sent pictures to Gibson. Gibson never did get back to me. The guitar showed up 2 days later and it was in mint condition same with the OHSC, the only thing I didn't like was that that last owner installed locking tuners (delta series 510z).I put a set of strings on it and started playing. After 3 weeks now I'm so glad I ordered it and didn't wait for Gibson to reply.this is by far the the best sounding best playing guitar I ever owned. It just took me 20 years to find one.

Out of 11 Les Pauls I have had over the last 4 or so years.. The one that I view as the best one was a 1992 Ebony LP Standard. I know there are those that don't believe that there was good wood years for Gibson.. and there are even those that don't believe wood makes any difference at all.. All that said, that '92 was a killer LP.. Better then all the Historics I had since then.

Pierre44

Reaction score
Hello,

I also a new owner of a Les Paul Classic. The guitar was made in 1994 more pictures here :
https://www.flickr.com/gp/134465939@N07/h6E387

I have a question, for who knows better than me, where I can find a link or any informations about the specs of my les paul.

I don't found any information for the classic made in 1994. I aware about the slim neck (that what I wanted...)

I just know the pickups (too heavy for me, so, I will replace by a Classic 57 and classic 57 +
so, anyone who can help me...

AxemanVR

Reaction score
I love mine but after 15 years I switched out the pick ups for a pair of SD Antiquities.
As I recall, there was some criticism about Gibson calling it a "Classic" but putting the more modern/hot ceramic 500T pickup on it. I thought it was a curious choice myself...

Artjr

Reaction score
Update, I must have had a bad night about a year ago and traded that 90classic for a PRS. Been on the hunt for another ever since. Today the hunt ended with a 91 Classic Honey Burst. I’m not sure if it’s a AA top or not. It has some flame. This ones going nowhere.

judson

Reaction score
i think the early 90's there were some good guitars produced by Gibson from various posts at MLP as you usually here alot of positive comments about those years even as it is a very broad statement...

my two studios, 90 & 93 with ebony fretboards i think will be with me a long time, will add the necks are not slim but seem a bit chunky....they work for me...

Last edited:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Update, I must have had a bad night about a year ago and traded that 90classic for a PRS. Been on the hunt for another ever since. Today the hunt ended with a 91 Classic Honey Burst. I’m not sure if it’s a AA top or not. It has some flame. This ones going nowhere.

budg

Reaction score
The Classics are Gibsons best kept secret imo. I played with a guy that had an early model that was a great guitar. I got a deal on a 17 T exclusive Sam Ash Silverburst model. I have had a Studio and 2 Traditionals , but this one stands out from all of them. The build quality of mine was flawless. The 57 classic , classic plus just make this guitar sing IMO. Eventually I want to grab one of these earlier models and swap out the pickups to something different .

Latest Threads