1990 Ibanez RG570, Original Edge Tremolo Arm is Loose

Niloy63

Reaction score
I'm hoping you great folks at MLP can help me out with an issue. I busted out the '90 Ibanez RG570 (my first guitar ever) for the first time in a looooong while. Like the title says, the trem arm is looser than a... [insert inappropriate euphemism]. :facepalm: adolescent Niloy, always itchin' to get out.

Anyway... on the second picture, are the white plastic bushings on the trem arm the part that's making it loose? If so, is there a cheaper way option to replace them than for $20 that I found on Amazon? If that's not the issue, any idea on what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheap do it myself guy so the first thing I thought of is;

do those plastic bushings come out without breaking them? Do they stretch?

Cut a thin strip of paper and wrap it around the shaft, or even some scotch tape, then snap those bushings back around the paper or tape.

You would be making a shim.

Niloy63

Reaction score
I'm a cheap do it myself guy so the first thing I thought of is;

do those plastic bushings come out without breaking them? Do they stretch?

Cut a thin strip of paper and wrap it around the shaft, or even some scotch tape, then snap those bushings back around the paper or tape.

You would be making a shim.
For something like this, I'm definitely down for some DIY riggin'. $20 for two little plastic thingies is a bit silly if you ask me.

The bushings stretch if you pull on them, but they go right back to form. I like your idea with the scotch tape/paper. I'll give it a shot and report my results with my homemade tape shim! :dude: . Thanks for the idea Darrell!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bushings stretch if you pull on them, but they go right back to form.
Right! But as long as they stretch enough to come off without breaking, you should be good to go.

Start with one wrap and try it.

Add another turn of tape if needed.

I'd like to know how you make out.

Also, you could look for plastic tubing (like fish tank air tubing) at a hardware store.

You want a similar wall thickness, then split it with a knife and cut to size to fit.

Your not out of the running yet....

Niloy63

Reaction score
So........

Couldn't find any scotch tape... go figure. lol. So I used paper instead. Much tighter now. However, the initial movement of the trem (maybe the first 1/8 - 1/4 inch) is still pretty loose. I wonder if there's a way i can tighten the trem arm recepticle thingy.

Thanks Darrell! It's actually much better than it was.

Last edited:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
There is a screw used to adjust tension. Flip the guitar over, remove the back plate, and in the guts of the trem, right where the arm goes in, there is a screw. GENTLY give it a little turn or two. If it's maxed out, then the old Fender trick of putting a spring in the hole will work also.

Niloy63

Reaction score
There is a screw used to adjust tension. Flip the guitar over, remove the back plate, and in the guts of the trem, right where the arm goes in, there is a screw. GENTLY give it a little turn or two. If it's maxed out, then the old Fender trick of putting a spring in the hole will work also.
I appreciate the heads up @BadPenguin . I'll check it out when I get back home.

Dutchy5150

Reaction score
Last edited:

Niloy63

Reaction score

Latest Threads