1989 MIK Inbound

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was on Reverb last night and randomly searched for used Epiphone Les Paul just to see what was out there , wasn't seriously looking to buy.....

But , found a listing for a 1989 "open book" headstock model. Looks like a tobacco burst with nice flame maple top. Appears to be in good condition for a 32 year old guitar. Also has OHSC. Was at a Sam Ash in Pennsylvania, shot them an offer and they countered with what I thought was a very reasonable price.

It was kinda neat finding an early MIK LP , I also have a very late production MIK. Looking forward to seeing if I can tell any differences.

Here are a few pics of the 89, should ship out tommorow (Monday).

zh4s1o06q7kbr38seut3.jpeg

t6s2uqrvxjptcw0ysy6c.jpeg
wl4i1ptllnva383kaut8.jpeg

mr. rj

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that this one will have a long neck tenon and a gibson style truss rod. I have a 94 MIK Epi with those features, but didn't even know it until I looked inside. The listing didn't mention it either, so I was very happily surprised. Hopefully yours has the same appointments, which is very likely....let us know when you get it...

DrBGood

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that this one will have a long neck tenon and a gibson style truss rod. I have a 94 MIK Epi with those features, but didn't even know it until I looked inside. The listing didn't mention it either, so I was very happily surprised. Hopefully yours has the same appointments, which is very likely....let us know when you get it...
Do you really expect a guitar listing to include tenon length or other obscure features ?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Nah just the Sam Ash pics were odd, strange angles etc.
Well, actually ... fake Epiphone Les Pauls builders made their templates from early Korean LPs which had their proportions all over the place. That's why they're so easy to spot.

- Funky knobs placement
- Tailpiece farther from bridge
- Pickguard screw closer to the edge of pickguard
- Overall body template just a tad off, like lower bout a bit misshapen

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand there are fakes , just don't think this is one.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I understand there are fakes , just don't think this is one.
Did I say it was fake ? Yours is a much sought after model. I merely mentioned that fakers rely on template made from ones from that era and origin.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you didn't, I thought there was implication as there was the "it looks off" post previously.

That aside I like my 04 more.

DrBGood

Reaction score
No you didn't, I thought there was implication as there was the "it looks off" post previously.

That aside I like my 04 more.
If you don't connect with it, I guess a lot of buyers would be interested just for the headstock shape.

Both have Slim Taper necks, do they ?

mr. rj

Reaction score
Do you really expect a guitar listing to include tenon length or other obscure features ?
In my experience, some listings do and some don't. But I'm always delighted to find things that I like in guitars when they are not listed. But that's just me, others may not care too much about those things...

darkvoice

Reaction score
Compared to what, Guitar Center pics?
Guitar Center picks on used guitars are horrible, most of the times you can't see the details. It's like a lottery, you take a chance and hope that everything turns out ok.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitar Center picks on used guitars are horrible, most of the times you can't see the details. It's like a lottery, you take a chance and hope that everything turns out ok.
Yep for the life of me I can't figure out why there pics and online system is so bad. I use that to my advantage.

Latest Threads