1989 LP Studio Lite w Floyd Overtone issue

MineGoes211

Reaction score
I have this 1989 Les Paul Studio Lite with original Floy Rose. I love it, but I've noticed overtones when I play either plugged in or unplugged. I'm wondering if it's the springs in the trem, or somewhere else in the Floyd. Anyone else have a similar issue? It sounds like a note that keeps ringing even after I hold down the strings.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have this 1989 Les Paul Studio Lite with original Floy Rose. I love it, but I've noticed overtones when I play either plugged in or unplugged. I'm wondering if it's the springs in the trem, or somewhere else in the Floyd. Anyone else have a similar issue? It sounds like a note that keeps ringing even after I hold down the strings.

I'd suggest that it may be the springs. I've seen people slide pipe cleaners into the springs, buy fancy new springs with special designs/materials that eliminate ringing, etc. -- one of those solutions will help damp any ringing from the springing. You might also invest in one of the aftermarket "blg block" brass floyd upgrade sustain blocks while you're in there. Those will also help reduce the likelihood that any vibrations will be transferred from string to spring and back again.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
We are going to need pictures of this guitar..
Here you go:

It's the closest I'll ever get to a LP Axcess. I has a 498T and 490R pups, Grover locking tuners added. Split coil tap tones are awesome, plays great. I'll try the suggestions offered- I was thinking about putting a new Floyd on.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to do a string change in a couple of days then I'll take the back plate off to take a look.

EvLectric

Reaction score
I would absolutely hit it! And I'm not a big studio fan at all.

ejendres

Reaction score
try putting foam behind the nut, under the strings. I've often had a problem where the strings behind the nut ring out and add nasty overtones on floyd loaded guitars.

RedNeck

Reaction score
Love.

here you go:

it's the closest i'll ever get to a lp axcess. I has a 498t and 490r pups, grover locking tuners added. Split coil tap tones are awesome, plays great. I'll try the suggestions offered- i was thinking about putting a new floyd on.

Latest Threads