1988 epiphone spotlight refinished nitrocellulose

akxakxakx

Reaction score
After evolving my guitar collecting habits I found myself with a couple of PRS custom 24 guitars that I really like. Playing them got me thinking about my beat up old epiphone spotlight that I liked enough to not want to sell, but it wasn't good enough to get play time any more. Why? I thought about this for a while and ultimately I decided the guitar needed a refinish to start off, the polyurethane was really thick, milky, and sticky. Another thing it needed was a re-contour on the neck, and since that alone really justified the refinish, I decided I might as well hand carve the top and bevel the edge like a real PRS. As far as the new paint, I went with nitrocellulose because I have used it before and I know I like the results, I bought behlen cans online. I used 5 cans to do the guitar (1 sanding sealer, 1 encore brown, 1 starcast amber, 2 clear). I decided to mask the binding in the style of PRS ten tops, because I wanted to show off the figuring in the solid maple top.

Overall I am pleased with the results. I set it up without a tone pot because I wanted to keep the circuit simple and see how good the guitar could sound naturally. I have a Gibson burstbucker in the neck and a seymore Duncan PAF in the bridge. She sounds way better than I had hoped she might, and she plays much faster now that the neck is slimmer and less round, not to mention she looks amazing. the new paint lets the flame and curl really stand out.

makoshark

Reaction score
Thats great but -
Purrty pleeze canz we hav foto'z plzzz..... GODDAMNIT!!!

Please-Lord-620x357.jpg

mondomojo

Reaction score
Seriously? 24 hours and still no photos - ridiculous. No pics, no guitar - thems the rules. I wish there was a "no thank you" button.

TheAce93

Reaction score
Ha, this is exactly why I think it should be in the rules that you can't post a thread like this without pics.

There's nothing more useless than a thread like 'NGD... in four months and thirteen days... if the weather is nice'. :facepalm:

And then two weeks later they post 'Well it looks like I've had to cancel my order because my cat needs a whiskers transplant'. :laugh2:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Without those threads we can't up our postcount with useless replies.....:lol:

TheAce93

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, you'll be at 10,000 posts in no time. :naughty:

I'm one post before 1500!

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hit and run.
:io:

Phildog

Reaction score
After evolving my guitar collecting habits I found myself with a couple of PRS custom 24 guitars that I really like. Playing them got me thinking about my beat up old epiphone spotlight that I liked enough to not want to sell, but it wasn't good enough to get play time any more. Why? I thought about this for a while and ultimately I decided the guitar needed a refinish to start off, the polyurethane was really thick, milky, and sticky. Another thing it needed was a re-contour on the neck, and since that alone really justified the refinish, I decided I might as well hand carve the top and bevel the edge like a real PRS. As far as the new paint, I went with nitrocellulose because I have used it before and I know I like the results, I bought behlen cans online. I used 5 cans to do the guitar (1 sanding sealer, 1 encore brown, 1 starcast amber, 2 clear). I decided to mask the binding in the style of PRS ten tops, because I wanted to show off the figuring in the solid maple top.

Overall I am pleased with the results. I set it up without a tone pot because I wanted to keep the circuit simple and see how good the guitar could sound naturally. I have a Gibson burstbucker in the neck and a seymore Duncan PAF in the bridge. She sounds way better than I had hoped she might, and she plays much faster now that the neck is slimmer and less round, not to mention she looks amazing. the new paint lets the flame and curl really stand out.

NO PICS =
525.gif

rem22

Reaction score
please, as asked, some photos !! thx

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
The OP has been a member since 2012 and has only made 11 posts. Now you expect him to post pics in this thread? He's already made 2 posts this year so we probably won't see another post for another year or so. :D

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Just enough to get the interest, but then leave us hangin.. DAMN YOU OP!!!!!:wtf:

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No photos on a thread like this should be a bannable offense.

makoshark

Reaction score
Warning to future post'ers -

PHOTO'S or another Kitty gets it !!:laugh2:

shoot_teh_kitteh.jpg

No kitties were harmed in the making of this post:naughty:

Latest Threads