1986 Les Paul Junior Update

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi All,

With Led Zeppelin I playing in the background, here's a bit of an update on the Junior I purchased a month or so ago. And yes, pictures!

I really liked the stock Gibson P90, but I had always wanted a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop "Humbucker Under P90 Dogear." So I had one built. There is one picture here with the cover off, but it is voiced like their Greenie humbucker. Alnico II, 8.3K resistance. Made by MJ. And had a couple aged gold screws added for color. Sounded great in the guitar shop earlier, can't wait to play it at home!

On the way home I had it weighed at the local UPS store. Turns out it is 8 pounds 12.8 ounces. I've never heard of a Junior weighing almost 9 pounds. Has anyone else?

From weight alone it always felt like a Les Paul Standard, but its weight puts it in that category.

Enjoy the pictures. The guitar has a few nicks but otherwise in very good condition. Now looking forward to a long life with this October 1986 build!

1986 Les Paul Junior 5.jpg 1986 Les Paul Junior 4.jpg 1986 Les Paul Junior 3.jpg 1986 Les Paul Junior 2.jpg 1986 Les Paul Junior 1.jpg

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the way home I had it weighed at the local UPS store. Turns out it is 8 pounds 12.8 ounces. I've never heard of a Junior weighing almost 9 pounds. Has anyone else?
Here are a couple of Juniors that I use to own.

The 1957 Junior weighed 8 lbs 12 oz which is certainly heavy for a 1950's Junior, although I seem to recall that Marks Guitar Loft once had one that weighed 9 lbs. I had another 1957 Junior that weighed 6 lbs 12oz. I should have held onto that one.

The red 1986 Junior on the right weighed 7 lbs 15 oz. I was lucky enough to stumble across this guitar at a garage sale for $150. It also included a 1980's Protector case.

Last edited:

lawrev

Reaction score
Here are a couple of Juniors that I use to own.

The 1957 Junior weighed 8 lbs 12 oz which is certainly heavy for a 1950's Junior, although I seem to recall that Marks Guitar Loft once had one that weighed 9 lbs. I had another 1957 Junior that weighed 6 lbs 12oz. I should have held onto that one.

The red 1986 Junior on the right weighed 7 lbs 15 oz. I was lucky enough to stumble across this guitar at a garage sale for $150. It also included a 1980's Protector case.

Well, I stand corrected. :) That red one has different knobs and weighed almost a pound less, but still a beauty!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected. :) That red one has different knobs and weighed almost a pound less, but still a beauty!
I don't know if the knobs were original or not. The previous owner put black Grovers on it, so he may have installed the black knobs as well.

Another difference that I just noticed is that yours has a proper single-cut pickguard, whereas the one I had sported a 4-hole double-cutaway style pickguard (which was stock). I suppose that somebody in the factory grabbed the wrong pickguard.

lawrev

Reaction score
Is 1986 Norlin?
The Board description here says Norlin is through/until 1987. I've had people on the Board tell me that what I own is a Norlin but an improved one that was coming out of the Norlin era. Either way, I am very happy with it.

lawrev

Reaction score
I don't know if the knobs were original or not. The previous owner put black Grovers on it, so he may have installed the black knobs as well.

Another difference that I just noticed is that yours has a proper single-cut pickguard, whereas the one I had sported a 4-hole double-cutaway style pickguard (which was stock). I suppose that somebody in the factory grabbed the wrong pickguard.
Yes, I just noticed that on the one you owned. I guess these were starter Les Pauls, so certain liberties were taken! Same with the knobs. Most of the ones I've seen were the gold bonnet, but I have seen some with the gold speed knobs. Who knows if there was a true spec'd Junior for 1986?....... The guy I purchased this from owned it for one month, and bought it from the family of the owner who bought it new. They said it was stock except for the Lollar which I took out and eventually put the new SD humbucker in it - which sounds killer.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Anyone notice the '87 has a tunematic/stop tail setup, not the wrap TP?.
Al

lawrev

Reaction score
Yeah, the Juniors had the stoptail from 86-90something. I think 95? That was just how they made them in that era.
Yea, from what I read this iteration of the Junior reissue ended at the end of 1993.

Latest Threads