1985 Firebird VII in Heather Poly

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That Firebird sold at auction in 2008 at in New York through Christie's for a mere $1300. I would have expected at least two to three times that. I'm curious what you paid for it (feel free to PM me if you don't want to tell the world.) I own two Firebirds, both '64 Firebird IIIs. I've had a 2002 Firebird VII in Azuremyst and a white FB V... yours is by far the prettiest I've ever seen.

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
Heather poly is a Gibson term for a metalic paint as it has multiple steps, usually a metalic undercoat then the color coat. This was an internal thing as not to use the same nomenclature for similar colors offered by Fender. IN this case it was burgundy mist metalic.

R

geddy

Reaction score
Nice guitar. There was one on Ebay a while back. Might be the same one though

77bfp

Reaction score
Bumping 'cause I'm still trying to find out more about my Firebird :)

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
Bumping 'cause I'm still trying to find out more about my Firebird :)
Very nice Firebird you have. Being it is one of those rare ones, you could put it up on Fleabay and put your own $10,000 price tag on it! If it sells, you know it was worth $10,000!

77bfp

Reaction score
Not sure how that helps with mine, but thanks I guess!

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Does your FB have an ebony fingerboard? It looks like it in your pics, but not quite sure.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just purchased a 1985 Gibson Firebird VII in Heather Poly. Unusually it has mini-grovers and a stop tail piece, rather than the usual banjo tuners and lyre. I've emailed Gibson regarding the guitar and they have confirmed that it's genuine etc

I'm having trouble finding information on this particular model. Was it a limited production model?

Photos..

Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :D
Nice! I want one in green!:applause:

dspelman

Reaction score
Lots of wrong guesses on the paint colors and composition. "Poly," of course had nothing to do with polyurethane or anything else, and No, it wasn't nitrocellulose.

Gibson, like Fender, has used car paints and formulations for a long time (except that now a lot of the originals are no longer available).

The underlying paint on that guitar is acrylic. There's usually a nitrocellulose clear coat on top of that, which means that the color may be yellower now due to the nitro's discoloration process.

As you can see, Heather Poly is the same color as Fender's Burgundy Mist, and appeared on the '62 Cadillac, the 59 Oldsmobile, etc. "Poly" was only Gibson's naming convention to avoid having the same colors as Fender. The automotive industry had already largely abandoned nitrocellulose lacquer and moved to acrylic by then.

Geronimo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just purchased a 1985 Gibson Firebird VII in Heather Poly. Unusually it has mini-grovers and a stop tail piece, rather than the usual banjo tuners and lyre. I've emailed Gibson regarding the guitar and they have confirmed that it's genuine etc

I'm having trouble finding information on this particular model. Was it a limited production model?

Photos..

Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :D
That’s a beauty. Heather poly is my favorite color and thank goodness it hasn’t been done to death like they did with Pelham Blue. Here’s my SG custom in heather Love custom colors
16DD90E4-86AC-4F58-BA98-0A817BAA0D6B.jpeg

Latest Threads