1985 Firebird VII in Heather Poly

77bfp

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just purchased a 1985 Gibson Firebird VII in Heather Poly. Unusually it has mini-grovers and a stop tail piece, rather than the usual banjo tuners and lyre. I've emailed Gibson regarding the guitar and they have confirmed that it's genuine etc

I'm having trouble finding information on this particular model. Was it a limited production model?

Photos..

Any info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :D

theblock321

Reaction score
I don't have any info but, I have to say that the guitar in question is one of the coolest I have ever seen. I wish I could help, but it either way, damn it's cool!

Paul46

Reaction score
Sorry,no info either,but that guitar is absolutely stunning!

SparkyGuitar

Reaction score
Not a clue, but e-mail Gibson. If they can tell you it's authentic, they can tell you more!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know a thing about it, except that I like it. And I'm not even a big fan of pastels.

77bfp

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've emailed Gibson and they've verified that it's genuine from the photos and serial number, but they don't have any other information on it!

However it came to be, it sounds absolutely gorgeous and is an amazing playing guitar :)

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Gorgeous! And I'm not a fan of blingy gold hardware. :drool:

77bfp

Reaction score
Sorry about the Poly.
Sorry about it? Poly snobbery?

I'm a guitarist and I buy guitars to play. The type of paint used to finish them is irrelevant, sound and playability is all that matters to me. Oh, and if it looks cool it's a bonus ;)

Thankyou all for the comments!

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Congratulations! I think it's a great guitar, but I never met a Firebird I didn't think was pretty cool (except those super lame Studio models with the PAF humbuckers).

I can't tell you anything about it, except to recommend that you use the Steinberger gearless tuners if you decide to upgrade the Grovers. It looks a little odd with tuner heads on it, and the banjo tuners aren't easy to find, and most folks say they suck anyway.

I have the Steinberger jobs on my Firebird, which is not a vintage model at all, and can tell you that they are good tuners. Just a thought.

Congrats! Firebirds are great.

77bfp

Reaction score
Thanks Larry :)

The tuners definitely need upgrading, it's not the most stable of my guitars. Personally, I don't mind the look of them- I have Sperzel locking tuners on a couple of my other guitars, so I may replace the Grovers with a set of them.

I've just had another reply from Gibson and apparently this guitar was actually a production model in 1985 :)

Latest Threads