1984 The Paul or ??

JSX69

Reaction score
Hi! I jumped on here just to see if I could verify what this guitar is. We inherited my stepdads guitar collection and this one seemed to be an oddball. He used to tell us there was something odd or special about it but I'm familiar with Strats, not Gibson's. It appears to be a "The Paul" but there are some noticeable differences.

Serial number dates to 1984 I believe - 81034526
Gold logo instead of firebrand logo
Neck appears to be a single piece, not the typical 3-piece
Pickup selector in the wrong location, checked the back cavity and this was the original installation (No other holes)
There also appeared to be a handwritten timestamp in the back cavity, but under the finish (10:53 if I remember right)
I don't believe the pickups to be original DF's due to the plastic wiring and they just look too good.
Harmonica Bridge has "Germany" stamped on the back

Hoping to zero in on exactly what this is as I'm now sitting on 8 guitars from vintage to newer and we dont have room for them all. Feel free to let me know if I can supply any further information or pictures - Really appreciate the help!

James

Attachments

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Hi! I jumped on here just to see if I could verify what this guitar is. We inherited my stepdads guitar collection and this one seemed to be an oddball. He used to tell us there was something odd or special about it but I'm familiar with Strats, not Gibson's. It appears to be a "The Paul" but there are some noticeable differences.

Serial number dates to 1984 I believe - 81034526
Gold logo instead of firebrand logo
Neck appears to be a single piece, not the typical 3-piece
Pickup selector in the wrong location, checked the back cavity and this was the original installation (No other holes)
There also appeared to be a handwritten timestamp in the back cavity, but under the finish (10:53 if I remember right)
I don't believe the pickups to be original DF's due to the plastic wiring and they just look too good.
Harmonica Bridge has "Germany" stamped on the back

Hoping to zero in on exactly what this is as I'm now sitting on 8 guitars from vintage to newer and we dont have room for them all. Feel free to let me know if I can supply any further information or pictures - Really appreciate the help!

James
The Paul is a real thing... like a Firebrand, but different.

But that looks like a Firebrand 'The Paul' Deluxe.

Here's a red one.

The harmonica bridge is made by Schaller, a German company.

The dirty fingers will have screw heads in both coils.

They can have plastic leads.

Serial number looks to be 1984.

Looks legit to me. Not a fake.

Single piece hog necks were the norm again by 84.

Last edited:

JSX69

Reaction score
Ok thank you, that gives me some great information. Any idea why the pickup selector would be installed to a different location? Custom order perhaps?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Ok thank you, that gives me some great information. Any idea why the pickup selector would be installed to a different location? Custom order perhaps?
Ahhhh! Light goes on!

I found it, it's a Nashville 'The Paul' Deluxe! :laugh2: Notice where the switch is...

1628123562359.png

1628123618591.png

Last edited:

Sharp

Reaction score
There’s no bevel on the op guitar. I’m thinking a studio except for the pickup selector.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
There’s no bevel on the op guitar. I’m thinking a studio except for the pickup selector.
Yeah, I saw that..

My reply was in response to the different switch location on OP's model. Not in the usual Firebrand - The Paul position.

First I've seen it either.

I just wanted to ID the series, now on to the bevel! :laugh2:

Seeing how this is the Norlin era I would not be surprised if there were cosmetic differences in the run.

JSX69

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! I feel better about it. Yes it definitely has the beveled edge and good to know the pickups are original! The two things I was worried about was the switch location and the fact that the truss rod cover was blank. Not being that familiar with older Gibson's I wanted to make sure. Any idea about how much these would be worth now? I'm trying to go through and decide which guitars were going to let go, and which ones to hold on to.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Let go of inherited guitars?...no way!!! don't do it! keep them all! LOL:lol:

JSX69

Reaction score
Let go of inherited guitars?...no way!!! don't do it! keep them all! LOL:lol:
Yeah it's a rough call. I don't play enough to warrant keeping them all but they just take up too much room. We'll most likely keep the higher end ones and find homes for the cheaper stuff.

brianbzed

Reaction score
I had a 1978 The Paul, and foolishly traded it away....I still kick myself 30+ years later.....:mad2:

JSX69

Reaction score
For older stuff we ended up with a couple fully customized strats (One that we definitely would never part with) and an old 80's fernandes strat; then on the newer end there was a nice Gretsch and a Gibson hummingbird. Add to that an old Johnson acoustic and a 12 string washburn acoustic with a slight crack in the base and yeah, we're pretty packed at the moment. Thanks again to everyone for helping identify this one!!

Latest Threads