1980's 335-s

Dharma66

Reaction score
I couldn't decide whether this came under 'Other Gibsons' or 'Norlin Years'. I decided Norlin years...

A guy I know on another forum just posted pics of his early 1980's Gibson 335 S - S meaning Solid.

I've searched the entire forum here, and can't find a single mention, so thought a few people might be interested to see it.

It's basically a The Paul with a body shaped like a small 335, made entirely of maple! And with zebras. On the forum page, there is also a post of some original marketing material, showing the full range of the Standard, Custom and Deluxe versions.

The thread on the other forum is here.

BTW, I know they have one in production now, but this 80's one is quite different...

And here is a youtube clip of someone (not the guy on the forum) letting rip on one.

I suspect these are really quite rare, but I'm going to have to try to find one, obviously :)

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
HTC is right (as usual).

The 335-S models aren't exactly rare. A store near me had two or three hanging on the wall just a few months ago.

They're decent guitars though. I had one a few years back. The body size and thickness reminded me of an LS6, yet the sound was more SG-like. I eventually traded my 335-S, but don't regret the loss.

Dharma66

Reaction score
Ah but you have to remember, you guys are in the States.

As it happens, there IS one on eBay UK right now, but I'd be prepared to bet there's not another one all year...

How come it wasn't recognised last time on the other thread I wonder?

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In some ways I feel sorry for you Brits. Since the beginning of time you've had to suffer high prices on American gear.

On the other hand, no one has put that gear to better use and with more creativity than the British.

Salamae

Reaction score
I believe the 335-S came stock with Dirty Fingers pickups as well. I thought about picking one up a while back. Would have fit right in with my The Paul.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How come it wasn't recognized last time on the other thread I wonder?

although they do look very similar, that is not what the first one was supposed to be (it was in Britain if I am not mistaken????)....it was a "The Paul" but with a second horn.....the owner claimed it to be factory, and while I thnk it was very well done, I do not believe it was factory.....

it is not an ES-335-S though.

keep your eyes open and e-mail the one I showed you....sometime you can still buy it (if the shipper will do international) cheaper.....

good luck and I will keep an eye out for you.

nick1962

Reaction score
Ah but you have to remember, you guys are in the States.

As it happens, there IS one on eBay UK right now, but I'd be prepared to bet there's not another one all year...

How come it wasn't recognised last time on the other thread I wonder?

I have the deluxe model; it's my number one gigging guitar......

dan_silverburst

Reaction score
Hey here's a link to the 335S I got last year. Awesome guitar. Also have a 79 The Paul. Try checking Frailers in Runcorn for weird Norlin era Gibsons. He usually has some strange examples and I got both mine from there. Both needed a re-fret but there's not much chance in the UK to pick these up is there?

Interestingly the 335S' Dirty Fingers pups on mine were so powerful that they started pulling the strings and affecting intonation until it was properly set up! They are absolute beasts and if you can, try and get a model with the coil splits - they sound great as clean single coils.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/226926-1980-335-s-pro-deluxe.html

:thumb:

Dharma66

Reaction score
Thanks all.

HCT, you're right, of course, lookijg closer it's clearly. It a 335s in that thread.

Interesting they come with Dirty Fingers. I got rid of my 2013 model 79's Tribute to make way for my Tne Paul. The Tribute had the modern DF, and the output is indeed massive. I've had to up the gain at least two or three notches on all my presets to get the same drive levels with the T-tops. Not a bad thing, mind, as the T-tops are really sweet.

Dan, thanks for the lead on Frailers...not heard of them before!

Latest Threads