1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom - No Serial #

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
Again, just wanted to say thanks for all the help to all who responded quickly! The guitar needs a setup, and a different set of pickups, but other than that, it feels great in the hands and has no major blemishes or repairs.

Now, what pickups to put in this beaut? My main amp is a Splawn quick Rod that I play though either a splawn cab loaded with v30's/k85's or a Friedman cab with the v30/greenback setup. I tend to like middle of the road output pickups with a paf voice that aren't gonna squeal with some gain and volume

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, just wanted to say thanks for all the help to all who responded quickly! The guitar needs a setup, and a different set of pickups, but other than that, it feels great in the hands and has no major blemishes or repairs.

Now, what pickups to put in this beaut? My main amp is a Splawn quick Rod that I play though either a splawn cab loaded with v30's/k85's or a Friedman cab with the v30/greenback setup. I tend to like middle of the road output pickups with a paf voice that aren't gonna squeal with some gain and volume
Tim Shaw's. ..

Nuf said.

• Love
Reactions: Who

scozz

Reaction score
Tim Shaw's. ..

Nuf said.
I don’t think Shaw’s will work well with the kind of music he plays, especially with high volumes. As much as I love my Shaws, and think they are as close to the original PAFs as anything,...they can be slightly microphonic at high volumes.

Of course removing the covers would surely solve that issue.

UncleToe

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 1980 Gibson Les Paul custom in wine red locally. The seller claims the pickups have been changed out for duncan distrotions, but everything else about the guitar is original. The issue I have is, there is no stamped serial in the back of the headstock.

The guitar has no telltale sign of being a fake, i.e., goofy diamond inlay, nut looks right, period correct tuners, volute, abr1 bridge. But the serial nukber is troubling me and the seller isn't super responsive.

The wine red is see through so if it were refinished, you should still be able to see remnants of the pressed in serial# Any thoughts?
This is my headstock and I think I got this in the eighties. The (o) in Gibson has a space. My first thought is that it is a fake. I am not an expert. Mine is also a honey burst with a figured maple top not that it makes a difference in my opinion.

Attachments

rlevenberg

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 1980 Gibson Les Paul custom in wine red locally. The seller claims the pickups have been changed out for duncan distrotions, but everything else about the guitar is original. The issue I have is, there is no stamped serial in the back of the headstock.

The guitar has no telltale sign of being a fake, i.e., goofy diamond inlay, nut looks right, period correct tuners, volute, abr1 bridge. But the serial nukber is troubling me and the seller isn't super responsive.

The wine red is see through so if it were refinished, you should still be able to see remnants of the pressed in serial# Any thoughts?
I’d just forget about this guitar. It’s likely a knockoff and not worth $2K. Too risky to even consider!

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Fantastic buy! I can't believe you got her for $1800! Keep us up to date on what pickups you put in her. Maybe go with the traditional Custom pickups 498/490. Nice job.

Gibson mad Mike

Reaction score
Muddy, stick around a minute.....plz!

IMO 2K is a bit high for having the pickups both swapped out, and not included, and a possible re-fin.. I say possible just on the looks of the headstock. Light serial pressings are not unknown to the world of Gibson..

Not original case and we haven't even seen the rest of it yet.

2K is not out of bounds for an 80's Custom, that's not what I'm saying..

Just be aware that it is not in a condition to command a premium price.

You should be able to bargain, especially if more pics show any other mods we don't know about.

You are right to be excited, I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means!

I love 80's stuff!

Just saying with more info, maybe you can do a little better as an educated shopper.

If not, you can still sleep at night knowing you didn't get hosed!
Exactly what I was thinking, I wouldn't pay that either.
I wouldn't be too bothered about the case but without the original pickups fitted or not I wouldn't buy it.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my headstock and I think I got this in the eighties. The (o) in Gibson has a space. My first thought is that it is a fake. I am not an expert. Mine is also a honey burst with a figured maple top not that it makes a difference in my opinion.
Op's headstock logo is legit for the early 80's. Gibson does like to change them up a lot.

Here's my 82 next to OP's headstock and they are the same with the closed 'o'.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1980-gibson-les-paul-custom-no-serial.431938/post-9280695

I’d just forget about this guitar. It’s likely a knockoff and not worth $2K. Too risky to even consider!
Exactly what I was thinking, I wouldn't pay that either.
I wouldn't be too bothered about the case but without the original pickups fitted or not I wouldn't buy it.
As it turns out fellas, he DID buy it! And got a heck of a deal for 1800 dollars. Almost unheard of for a Custom of that era.

Starting here and scroll down you can see more and better pics of it. Turns out there were no issues, it was in great shape.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1980-gibson-les-paul-custom-no-serial.431938/post-9280830

The case is likely original too.. It's a weird one, but I found another example here..

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1980-gibson-les-paul-custom-no-serial.431938/post-9281073

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
It's funny how quick people are to jump to the fake conclusion without doing any research.

Anyways, the guitar is still feeling great, and I actually picked up a 1979 custom in natural finish yesterday to go along side it. This one has the Shaw's and is 100% original, other than the knobs, but the originals are in the original case. $1900 for this one, although it's far more weathered than the 1980. Both fantastic guitars!

jtees4

Reaction score
Beautiful! Since you have two, I'd offer you $1300 site unseen for the black one....cash in my pocket. Just say the word.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
$1800 is exactly the TOP dollar that this guitar is worth with the changes.....not a penny more.

case is not original, just FYI

there was some good advice in this thread....and a LOT of not-so-good advice (especially on THIS page), which worries me some since a lot of people (like the OP) come here for real advice.

congratulations OP, nice guitar, rock on.

rogue3

Reaction score
It's funny how quick people are to jump to the fake conclusion without doing any research.

Anyways, the guitar is still feeling great, and I actually picked up a 1979 custom in natural finish yesterday to go along side it. This one has the Shaw's and is 100% original, other than the knobs, but the originals are in the original case. $1900 for this one, although it's far more weathered than the 1980. Both fantastic guitars!
I have owned a few from the period('76,'79,'82).Without going into details(which have already been discussed in depth), it looks like an authentic '80, and a fine guitar.Given the weight of guitars from the period,and those higher gain SD's, it would make a great high gain rock machine.With the wood density,and that ebony board,the cleans would be big,bright and beautiful, i would guess.Play her with joy!

I'm no expert in prices,however. I did sell my '79 and '82 years ago for less.Its what the market would bear at that time.Proof positive to me how Norlins are increasing in resale value. :D .No matter how you look at it,that is a nice score,as the op knows by now.:cool2:

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
$1800 is exactly the TOP dollar that this guitar is worth with the changes.....not a penny more.

case is not original, just FYI

there was some good advice in this thread....and a LOT of not-so-good advice (especially on THIS page), which worries me some since a lot of people (like the OP) come here for real advice.

congratulations OP, nice guitar, rock on.
Well I actually just sold the 1979 for $2400 and it's in much worse condition than the 80. I'm guessing I could get more than I paid for the 1980 if I wanted to.

Sharp

Reaction score
For the sake of comparison, I
4BFA0466-AA8E-486F-BB59-8D742107C5F6.jpeg
bought my ‘82 custom from a pawn shop about a year and a half ago for cdn $2000.00. Taxes in. That’s about $1500.00 usd. It’s all original and in very good condition. It came in the same kind of case as the op has but I bought a chainsaw case for it anyway.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score

Sharp

Reaction score
This is the case my ‘82 came in. Maybe original?
8AD45F67-54F6-481E-8F99-7054D18C3BFE.jpeg