1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom - No Serial #

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP, Ill just confirm what others have said..

I like the 1300 dollar approach given the mods..

Bring a blacklight.

Action looked a bit high to me too.. pop the TRC off and check where the nut is make sure there is wiggle room.

Ask him if he likes it high..

If those numbers are not on the headstock when you see it, ask questions as to why..

Your thorough going over should make him squirm if he's hiding anything.. He won't care otherwise, and should admire your diligence..

At the end, its in fine shape and quite a looker.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you guys really think this would sell for under $2000? 2K seems legit to me.

And...it's friggin' beautiful.
If its as good as the later pics show, I'm thinking 2K is a pretty good price.

That's why I posted the other example above..

judson

Reaction score
i have looked before and never saw anything under $2800 for a custom...

the seller isnt goign to ask $2k and take $1,300 i would bet you wasting your time on that wish...

anything under the $2k is a deal take it and run $1,700 $1800 $1900 and if you play it and it feels good give the man his $2k and enjoy it....i think $2k on reverb it would move real quick....and screw the case they have no value to me most times...keep it out f the case and play it !!!:dude:

EDIT: i stand corrected...darrell i will just post this and not say a word $1,999

1570236080155.png

Last edited:

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
Well fellas. I managed to talk him down to $1800......and it's now mine.

I did not bring a black light, but I looked it over carefully, and it's legit. If there's a neck break, it's literally the most immaculate repair I've ever seen, and I can live with that!

The action is super, super low. It feels incredible in the hands. Only minor dings, none deeper than the clear coat. Stays in tune no problem, he said it was a boat anchor but it's actually less heavy than my 75 so that's a plus!

Screenshot_20191004-214516_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191004-214525_Gallery.jpg
IMG_20191004_213746_424.jpg

judson

Reaction score
hell yaaaa...didnt know you had a black one also :thumb:

you got a great deal and a great guitar as well....

i have not seen a custom under $2k ...enjoy it

jkes01

Reaction score
I also doubt they would take $1,300, but you gotta start some where.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
Congrats! That’s a great looking guitar at a fantastic price!

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
We’re they still using 3 piece necks in 1980?

Look at the pot codes to date the guitar. If the price and guitar are nice, don’t worry about the serial.

Were they doing any inking or decals of serials on Customs still, at the end of the 70s?
Yes, I have an 83 SG Standard with a 3 piece maple neck. I have an 87 that does not.

I believe the Norlin era ended in 86.

Reactions: Who

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
darrell...how did you squeeze that black and white pic to see that repair? impressive really...software?

OP put $1300 cash in one pocket $350 in another and $350 in your wallet so you can claim you dont think you have that much,

get it the car, drive over and pull out the 13 hundreds and start counting....and go from there....old used car trick

EDIT: i dont think i have seen a heel like that, maybe just the angle, just checked my 83 and yeah its close
Blacklight.

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but IMHO you got one helluva deal. Beautiful guitar, congratulations to you, sir. SUPER jealous.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score

I did not bring a black light, but I looked it over carefully, and it's legit. If there's a neck break, it's literally the most immaculate repair I've ever seen, and I can live with that!

The action is super, super low. It feels incredible in the hands. Only minor dings, none deeper than the clear coat. Stays in tune no problem, he said it was a boat anchor but it's actually less heavy than my 75 so that's a plus!

View attachment 411424View attachment 411425View attachment 411426

Moni

Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 411424View attachment 411425View attachment 411426
Great buy, it’s gorgeous. Congrats and be happy

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
darrell...how did you squeeze that black and white pic to see that repair? impressive really...software?
Sorry it took me a bit to catch up..

I downloaded his pic and ran it through some photo editing software I have from way back when..

I simply removed all the color from it, leaving a black and white image.

Sometimes color can trick the eye or obscure things, so I have found removing it sometimes helps..

Then I can enhance things like contrast and black or white levels, shading and brightness to help bring out certain parts..

I've worked on photos for years, but it was a fella known as Chasin Blues that really got me started to applying it in here to guitar issues. He was a master!