1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom - No Serial #

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
But if there are issues that would lessen the value and not really make it anything other than an average deal, I could pass and feel ok about it.
OR you could make a full court press and get a heck of a deal for a really nice player guitar!

If you can get it closer to what Muddy said, then you got a bargain.

Structurally, there should be no issues, it looks like a good repair.

And truthfully, the glue joint is actually stronger than the original wood.

From the front its not even visible...

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
For sure. I currently own 3 Gibsons with headstock repairs. They do not both me at all, as long as the price is right! I've asked for more detailed pictures from him all around. I'd have to drive an hour 1 way to meet him, and would rather save the trouble with more detailed pics before making the trip just to be disappointed
Ah... I was typing as you wrote that.....

IF it is a headstock repair and not artifacts.....

But at least now you know to look at it close...

judson

Reaction score
pics not showing bare feet

only a tat sleeve maybe

legit,

grab it at $2k or less if you want to make him squirm

judson

Reaction score
darrell...how did you squeeze that black and white pic to see that repair? impressive really...software?

OP put $1300 cash in one pocket $350 in another and $350 in your wallet so you can claim you dont think you have that much,

get it the car, drive over and pull out the 13 hundreds and start counting....and go from there....old used car trick

EDIT: i dont think i have seen a heel like that, maybe just the angle, just checked my 83 and yeah its close

Last edited:

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
Any further thoughts?

It appears to be clean to me. No neck break. No refinish. Non original case and pickups. Original bridge and tailpiece with studs in the case. Worth the $2k? The pickups don't bother me. I'm a high gain player so older pickups that aren't potted tend to be pretty noisy in my situations.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would still need to Blacklight that neck,..... even if all is good with no break i would be under the 2k mark. $1800 is a fair offer and i would start under that. There are plenty of these in this condition out there,.... most certainly not rare. There are used Custom Shop built LPC models out there for just a bit more. If you gotta have a Norlin era LPC i would hold off for something a little more "all-original".

That's just me amigo. Good Luck :cheers:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
darrell...how did you squeeze that black and white pic to see that repair? impressive really...software?

OP put $1300 cash in one pocket $350 in another and $350 in your wallet so you can claim you dont think you have that much,

get it the car, drive over and pull out the 13 hundreds and start counting....and go from there....old used car trick

EDIT: i dont think i have seen a heel like that, maybe just the angle, just checked my 83 and yeah its close
My 1977 is just like the heel,.... barely one at all. The heels on the Norlin era LPCs are all over the place. Some have a half inch of shelf,... some don't.

jkes01

Reaction score
I’d take it. Offer $1300 cash (non original parts, possible break, etc), in hand and work from there.

Deftone

Reaction score
Looks damn good to me. I'd think if you could get it for $1700 you scored.

Are neck breaks common on Maple neck Norlins with volutes?