1980 335-S Pro Deluxe

dan_silverburst

Reaction score
They had big plans to produce three different "dealer levels" of guitars with three guitars in each. You can see how far they got with the 335-S...
Yours is the bottom of the top group...

I can only begin to imagine how cool a Custom would have been - block inlays and binding, etc.

dan_silverburst

Reaction score
They had big plans to produce three different "dealer levels" of guitars with three guitars in each. You can see how far they got with the 335-S...
Yours is the bottom of the top group...

dspelman - do you know of any way I can find out how many Deluxe's were produced in the silverburst finish?

dspelman

Reaction score
dspelman - do you know of any way I can find out how many Deluxe's were produced in the silverburst finish?

Not off hand; the whole bunch of them really only lasted one year (despite the "availability" of the Deluxe until 1982). They appeared in just the 1980 catalog, and my guess is that any that were sold after 1981 were stock remainders. While the 335S is relatively rare, there doesn't seem to be much premium on that as far as resale goes. Probably because there just isn't a lot of demand. I like them, and you obviously do, but I doubt that there are that many people who've ever played one.

dan_silverburst

Reaction score
Not off hand; the whole bunch of them really only lasted one year (despite the "availability" of the Deluxe until 1982). They appeared in just the 1980 catalog, and my guess is that any that were sold after 1981 were stock remainders. While the 335S is relatively rare, there doesn't seem to be much premium on that as far as resale goes. Probably because there just isn't a lot of demand. I like them, and you obviously do, but I doubt that there are that many people who've ever played one.

Ok thanks for that. Don't get me wrong, I've got no plans to ever sell it. Just wondered about the rarity. Might contact Gibson to see if they keep records.

dspelman

Reaction score
I can only begin to imagine how cool a Custom would have been - block inlays and binding, etc.

I'm thinking it should be possible to get the custom shop to crank one out in, say, ES-355 trim, don't you?

For that matter, you could probably get one with some interesting electronics options that would make sense for the era. A few 70's guitars came with a mids roll-off as well as a treble roll-off (including the L6S and one of the hollowbody jazz guitars) and a blend knob. Add a second miniswitch and make it one of the "tri-sound" switches like that in an Ibanez AR300 of the same era (you got serial, parallel and single coil choices for each pickup).

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I'm just now seeing this, followed your The Paul thread to here.
These are cool, I'd definitely like to give one of these a go if I had the chance.
Happy belated NGD! :thumb:

Jubbaronny

Reaction score
I know I may be running a bit late here Dan and I hope you're still alive :) so if you're still watching, or for anyone else in the know, here goes:

I'm a 1980 335s owner in Northern England and was wondering about current value in the UK. It's the cherry red deluxe professional model in excellent condition (9½/10). I got it off my dad, who bought it new, in 1983 and have seldom played it, (a bit 'muddy' for me). It's a bit of a Ferrari in a glass case job really and should be out there being used instead of being cooped up in its case in the bedroom waiting for me to die, so at the right price, I would consider letting it go.
Be sensible and go easy please, I know its history and particularly how rare these are especially in the UK.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Very nice! NORLINS FTW!
I just trade my '77 RD Custom for a '74 SG Standard..so I know all about funky body shapes...:naughty:

victeve12

Reaction score
I know I may be running a bit late here Dan and I hope you're still alive :) so if you're still watching, or for anyone else in the know, here goes:

I'm a 1980 335s owner in Northern England and was wondering about current value in the UK. It's the cherry red deluxe professional model in excellent condition (9½/10). I got it off my dad, who bought it new, in 1983 and have seldom played it, (a bit 'muddy' for me). It's a bit of a Ferrari in a glass case job really and should be out there being used instead of being cooped up in its case in the bedroom waiting for me to die, so at the right price, I would consider letting it go.
Be sensible and go easy please, I know its history and particularly how rare these are especially in the UK.

Hi.
My name is James just wondering if you still have the es335 for sale?
Thanks
James

ndnflyer

Reaction score
Gruhn Guitar in Nashville has a nice es335s Professional for sale

nick1962

Reaction score
Good shout on the 335s! I have a sunburst Deluxe and it's my main gigging guitar. As you say, they are well-built and versatile, and comfortable on the strap!

Attachments

• my 335-s.jpg
    my 335-s.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21

Latest Threads