1980 335 S Deluxe Professional - anyone got one?

circusboy28

Reaction score
I've got a line on a fairly cheap 335 S that I'm thinking of getting. It seems to be original other than the bridge, which is a Nashville & stop (original was a TP6 I believe).

I just want to know if anyone has a history with these, knows how they hold up, sound in a band, or whatever.....Just looking for a general opinion about a guitar that you rarely see over here.

Thanks.

circusboy28

Reaction score
I know it's fairly rare guitar, but none of the experts on here know anything about it?

If I can scrape the money up I think I'll buy it anyway. It's in excellent condition for a thirty year old guitar, and comes with a Gator hardcase for $2,300 cash. That's a touch under US$2K.

ledlover01

Reaction score
Ive heard of them sorry never had one sound cool though

circusboy28

Reaction score
Well I bought it anyway. Too bad I can't afford it!! I should be selling my Les Paul Special tomorrow.........and I haven't really bonded with my new Les Paul Junior so I'm selling that too.

The 335 s is 1980 Norlin era, with a volute and original Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups, with factory coil taps. I've actually never seen another like this in Australia, and I'm loving it so far. Here it is with the Blueshawk:
IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

(my threads always get an overwhelming response...........aaawwwwww geeee)

loose canon

Reaction score
a dude in my band has one of those. great guitar. his has different pickups though. but i'm a big fan of the dirty fingers. enjoy it.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats, I've got a 335-S Custom, the serial number indicates '80 although '81 is always considered the only year of the Custom. It's basically the same as yours except for the bound fretboard. Mine has the TP6 tailpiece.

335-1.jpg

335-6.jpg

335-5.jpg

circusboy28

Reaction score
Looks great - I've always had a thing for Firebrands, though they're pretty hard to come by over here.

Do you like the old Dirty Fingers? In the short time I've played mine they seem pretty good, nice growl, kind of like an old SG but with a bit more definition. Playing it through a Tiny Terror into a 12"Eminence Lady Luck. Also, how is the TP6? I've not seen one in real life, only in photos.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't find the TP6 to be all that useful. The little knobs are somewhat hard to turn in the sharp direction, not so hard turning flat direction and a small movement changes pitch more than you might think - I mostly just use the regular tuners. I like the Dirty Fingers, they're definately hot -- hot and articulate.

slither

Reaction score
A nice pair you have picked up Circusboy. I must admit I've never seen, or even heard of the Blues Hawk. I'm guessing it's a semi-hollow bodied version of the Nighthawk. 2 P90's? and how does the switching work? With those 2 and the 62 reissue SG you recently got, you've got quite stable coming together.

dspelman

Reaction score
Here's yet another:

dspelman-albums-nothing-see-here-move-along-picture16284-dsc08092.jpg

This shot is from Gary Brawer's Blog from August 1, 2009. These guitars are rare because they were almost universally reviled when they were introduced (for no particularly good reason other than Gibson customers thought it was a terrible idea) and were, as quickly, removed from production. The plan was to have three different levels of these guitars produced, but I'm not sure that actually happened. One version had a mahogany body, an unbound rosewood F/B and the TP6 (that was a "middle" version, done up in natural mahogany and seems to be what MrWrong has -- the "Custom" -- and is also what Brent R. has in the photo above), another had a bound ebony F/B, TP/6 tailpiece, a brass nut and pearl inlaid logo in the headstock (the "Deluxe" that our OP has), in Tobacco sunburst, silverburst and cherry, yet another version (the "Standard") had an unbound F/B, "Superhumbuckers" (instead of the Dirty Fingers), a maple body and neck and no coil tap. I haven't actually seen one of those. Something like that.

Prices in the US vintage market are generally $700-900 for all three versions, as of this time last year.

circusboy28

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info and pics guys!

I've had it for a few days now and I am REALLY loving it. Those old Dirty Fingers really sound great.......in fact there's so much good stuff with this guitar it's hard to believe that it wasn't a big hit when it came out.

It's kind of like a super SG - it feels plays and sounds like a good SG but with a little bit of extra oomph thrown in!! It is such a well crafted and balanced guitar too. I'm glad I got it, 100% good move.

So here's a pic from tonight, don't mind the kids mess on the lounge room floor!!

IMG_1110-1.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info and pics guys!

I've had it for a few days now and I am REALLY loving it. Those old Dirty Fingers really sound great.......in fact there's so much good stuff with this guitar it's hard to believe that it wasn't a big hit when it came out.

It was marketed badly -- the first problem was the name (335). Semi-hollow users scorned it. Solid body guitarists were looking for something different and didn't want anything associated with a semi-hollow. Firebrand didn't fit it; it was a fairly tame, sensible guitar, after all.

It's kind of like a super SG - it feels plays and sounds like a good SG but with a little bit of extra oomph thrown in!! It is such a well crafted and balanced guitar too. I'm glad I got it, 100% good move.

I'd have to agree with all the above -- it's a better SG than the SG, and could have used just a dash more flash at that time.

vortexx

Reaction score
One of those is a Firebrand. They produced a number of models in the Firebrand series.

gibowner

Reaction score
I have one. Red mahogany like the SG. I bought it in 1989 for $250 us. I Know. ridiculous price. It was at a music store in Albany NY. I have a Lucille, a Les paul alpine white custom and several other gibsons and also other guitars including a Ric 360-12 and yet I find the 335 s is my go-to because of it's versitility. It is a pro delux . It has open coil all black humbuckers with two centertaps. first I've seen with two. brass nut and ebony fret board bound with fat frets. TP6 fine tuning bridge. as far as I know it is an all original '81. it will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands! With two centertaps the range of sound is very useful. The neck has a valute and is slim and very playable. Tuners are shaller with the les paul "rose"style chrome tuners. A very classy 335s. compared to some i have seen.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have one. Red mahogany like the SG. I bought it in 1989 for $250 us. I Know. ridiculous price. It was at a music store in Albany NY. I have a Lucille, a Les paul alpine white custom and several other gibsons and also other guitars including a Ric 360-12 and yet I find the 335 s is my go-to because of it's versitility. It is a pro delux . It has open coil all black humbuckers with two centertaps. first I've seen with two. brass nut and ebony fret board bound with fat frets. TP6 fine tuning bridge. as far as I know it is an all original '81. it will have to be pried out of my cold dead hands! With two centertaps the range of sound is very useful. The neck has a valute and is slim and very playable. Tuners are shaller with the les paul "rose"style chrome tuners. A very classy 335s. compared to some i have seen.

Your first post is a necropost to a thread that's been a zombie for six years?

THREADZOMBIE.jpg

Your guitar has been modified if it has fat frets and two coil tap switches. Check the pickups; if they're not zebras, it's likely they're not the original Dirty Fingers, either. And I honestly don't know that I've seen an original with an ebony fretboard. Might want to double check that as well. The price you paid, for the time, was pretty ordinary; these were not popular guitars at all. They were only manufactured one year (though they hung around a bit longer in the catalog) and dropped.

Joa

Reaction score
Hi, I just buy one, was made: 06/14/1980, production number 69 :shock: , very good condition, almost original except for the tuners (now Grover mini rotomatics, don't look well on this headstock, IMO) and truss rod cover. Original hard case. Very lightweigth, easy to play, and despite the powerfull pups, delicious tone for jazz. Here go some pics. As you can see, the bridge pup had glued an odd magnet bar, I removed, it's exactly than the neck pup, with its pat number and date.

Attachments

• IMG_20150626_233949.jpg
    IMG_20150626_233949.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20150626_234008.jpg
    IMG_20150626_234008.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20150626_183019.jpg
    IMG_20150626_183019.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20150626_182311.jpg
    IMG_20150626_182311.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20150627_000052.jpg
    IMG_20150627_000052.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 79

Joa

Reaction score
The Professional Deluxe model has ebony fingerboard always

Joa

Reaction score
To my eyes, the more ordinary thing is owning a guitar that everybody own

nick1962

Reaction score
I have a Professional, with Seymour Duncans in it. It's a cracking guitar which I have gigged to good effect.

Attachments

• 335.jpg
    335.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 239

NHTom

Reaction score
I crewed for a guy who had one in silverburst.

The shape never did much for me, but it played like a dream and sounded great.

NHTom

Latest Threads