1979 Standard (natural)

monty john

Reaction score
gigged with a 79 a few years....it was very very heavy OMG heavy...maple neck with a huge volute....it was a player but I never went back to Norlin after that

Caretaker

Reaction score
Looks great, but IMO there is the rub.
I have found from personal experience that older guitar that look THAT good are USUALLY tone turds, dogs, whatever you want to call them.
GOOD guitars get played and show it.
If you can play it first, great.
If not and there is no opportunity to return it, I would be very careful.
Just my opinion.

DrBGood

Reaction score
The back does look like it's a bad refinish.

Elmore

Reaction score
Great hard rock guitar. It should be brighter sounding. For that money, though, you could also buy an early 70s routed Sunburst deluxe that would have a mahogany neck. Both will be heavier guitars. If you want it, offer less.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
When Norlin prices get into used Custom Shop territory i kinda lean toward the CS guitars.... Don't get me wrong I love Norlin era Les Pauls,... I just think what people are asking for them these days is a bit over the top..... (1979) This was the peak of production in all Gibson history.... they are not exactly rare.

Last edited:

Renegade

Reaction score
'
I have the opportunity to make a trade for this guitar. What can you guys tell me about a 1979 Notion era standard. Good, bad, ugly. This one is in fantastic shape.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard in EC

https://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/d/manakin-sabot-1979-gibson-les-paul/7178535737.html
The price does seem a little high but a lot of it would depend on what you have to trade. Norlins can be hit or miss, my 76 custom was a dog and it is long gone, my 74 custom I will keep forever. If possible play this one and your trade together...the choice might become real clear.
It looks to be in really good shape from the pictures, so if it checks all the boxes it could be a score.

monty john

Reaction score
for 3 grand get an r8...or an r0 or g0....custom chop price tfor this heavy dog forgetaboutit

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
There are way better options out there:

They are all going to heavy as hell though.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
You think it has been refinished as a natural?

Also.....$3,000 seems a bit high of an asking price. Am I wrong?
May have been natural form factory - just paint looks too fresh to me, that's all.

Latest Threads