1979 Les Paul Standard Ground problem.

Wicked Sensation

Reaction score
Hode it up!

I just got a beautiful 1979 Les Paul Silverburst, and I have the same problem!

I'd like to know where I can find one of those metal plate cover, or what I'd need to drill that hole Wildestarr was talking about.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Holla!

Wicked Sensation

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a ground plate?

Can I just order one from Gibson or what?

I really need some help.

beanhead

Reaction score
just a quick question to rasputin, is your guitar noisy because it is not grounded? my 2008 standard is noisy and i think it's because it isn't grounded

Lloydjim

Reaction score
Many thanks Widstar and all you guys for your posts.
I have a bad Earth hum on my Gibson Studio 91.
It has had a few mods and I think the toggle has been replaced. Checked all continuity everything OK. After looking at 'alexplorers' site I identified a possible earth loop as the earth wire from the toggle is connected to the last tone contol cover before the jack connection. I'm gonna try moving it to the volume pot.
Also no wire from the tail. There was a piece of heavy duty wire attached to a volume pot but not connected to anything. And there is the hole to the tail where I can just make out the end of a piece of wire showing. So the plan is to screw a brass screw into the hole and hopefully make a decent contact with the broken wire. I'll check continuity and if all is well solder a wire across.
Well thats the theory. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again.:laugh2:

Lloydjim

duane v

Reaction score
My 80 LPC has the shielding cover and sleeves in both back cavities... Also the output jack has this round metal can looking thing shoved into the output jack cavity.... There is no bridge ground wire

PB070281b.jpg

PB070282b.jpg

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the mod is simple can could be done with rudimentary "man" skills. just be smart and use your head. you can do it.

Lloydjim

Reaction score
Many thanks Widstar and all you guys for your posts.
I have a bad Earth hum on my Gibson Studio 91.
It has had a few mods and I think the toggle has been replaced. Checked all continuity everything OK. After looking at 'alexplorers' site I identified a possible earth loop as the earth wire from the toggle is connected to the last tone contol cover before the jack connection. I'm gonna try moving it to the volume pot.
Also no wire from the tail. There was a piece of heavy duty wire attached to a volume pot but not connected to anything. And there is the hole to the tail where I can just make out the end of a piece of wire showing. So the plan is to screw a brass screw into the hole and hopefully make a decent contact with the broken wire. I'll check continuity and if all is well solder a wire across.
Well thats the theory. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again.:laugh2:

Lloydjim
:applause:

Latest Threads