1979 Greco EG600PR?

86runner

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on this one today. I've been eyeing these for a bit now and this one came across my Reverb feed. Must be a late 79, because I don't believe this one is a pancake and it has a solid top (albeit 3 piece, though not terribly obviously so)? Plenty here would definitely know more than I do! Those are the specs I wanted, anyway. I'm a pickguard guy, so I'll have to locate or make one. Seemed like a pretty good deal? First time ordering from Japan on Reverb, but this seller has a lot of great feedback! Hopefully it all goes smoothly!

Edit: Actually it appears to be a January build, judging by the "A" in the serial. I was under the impression that the non-pancake bodies began in late 79?

Ace Frehley.jpeg

Last edited:

86runner

Reaction score
The serial says its from January of '79.

It looks in great shape from the pics. I see a multipiece maple ? neck so i would think it would be a pancake body construction style. People with more knowledge of these years will know for sure.

Congrats !!

Thanks! Yeah, it may be a pancake after all. Looks like it might be a 3 piece mahogany neck rather than maple? Honestly, as long as it's not chambered, I'm fine with it. I still feel like it was a pretty good deal!

jrkhav

Reaction score
The 600s are chambered, but that honestly doesn't detract from the guitar at all. I had one of the Peter Frampton EG-600s and it was still a really solid feeling, awesome guitar. Sounded great too, the pickups were spectacular. It's one of the better Les Pauls I'd ever had.

MauiCliff

Reaction score
I just sold a 1978 EG-600 Deluxe and for some reason the body was not pancake............Go figure.

86runner

Reaction score
^^^^^^
Nice score.

Congrats!

Thanks!

The 600s are chambered, but that honestly doesn't detract from the guitar at all. I had one of the Peter Frampton EG-600s and it was still a really solid feeling, awesome guitar. Sounded great too, the pickups were spectacular. It's one of the better Les Pauls I'd ever had.

Yeah, I've seen some pics of the ones with the thin top, but I've also seen some with a more solid top, I think. The pic with the pickups pulled looked a little different than some of them I've seen with the sycamore cap and veneer. I was hoping, anyway! Seller noted "solid body", but who knows what that means!?

It'll be kinda fun to open it up and see what I actually have! I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I've not liked chambered LPS, historically. Takes away from the "thump", but every guitar is its own animal. We'll see!

86runner

Reaction score
I just sold a 1978 EG-600 Deluxe and for some reason the body was not pancake............Go figure.

Nice! Yeah, it's almost fun to see what you get when you buy one of these. I'd be more worried if I had paid more. I imagine I could get my money back pretty easily if I don't love it, for some reason. Seems specs were all over the place back in those days!

jrkhav

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah, I've seen some pics of the ones with the thin top, but I've also seen some with a more solid top, I think. The pic with the pickups pulled looked a little different than some of them I've seen with the sycamore cap and veneer. I was hoping, anyway! Seller noted "solid body", but who knows what that means!?

It'll be kinda fun to open it up and see what I actually have! I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I've not liked chambered LPS, historically. Takes away from the "thump", but every guitar is its own animal. We'll see!

Hard to say, I don't know if these ones had veneers; it's a plain top so I'd lean towards no but I can't confirm that one unfortunately. Pickups are the right ones though, and better these ones than the DiMarzios. I really like the Greco/Maxon humbuckers.

But I think you'll love it! I'm no fan of chambered LPs either, but the EG 600 surprised me. It's not chambered in the sense that there's just a ton of wood carved out of the body, there's just this weird pocket of space under the top. You can tell by tapping on the top below the stoptail when the guitar comes, it will sound hollow. But it's not really a big chamber, I think that's even the wrong word to use for it. More akin to slight weight relief rather than chambering when we're talking how much wood is carved out, if that makes sense.

86runner

Reaction score
Hard to say, I don't know if these ones had veneers; it's a plain top so I'd lean towards no but I can't confirm that one unfortunately. Pickups are the right ones though, and better these ones than the DiMarzios. I really like the Greco/Maxon humbuckers.

But I think you'll love it! I'm no fan of chambered LPs either, but the EG 600 surprised me. It's not chambered in the sense that there's just a ton of wood carved out of the body, there's just this weird pocket of space under the top. You can tell by tapping on the top below the stoptail when the guitar comes, it will sound hollow. But it's not really a big chamber, I think that's even the wrong word to use for it. More akin to slight weight relief rather than chambering when we're talking how much wood is carved out, if that makes sense.

Well that's definitely comforting! Weight relief is much different than chambering! Better in my experience!

I thought these UD pickups were ceramic? Not that that can't be ok!

I've never had a 3pu LP, but have always wondered about that middle pickup. I typically love in between positions, so we'll see. Excited to see what it's all about!

jrkhav

Reaction score
Well that's definitely comforting! Weight relief is much different than chambering! Better in my experience!

I thought these UD pickups were ceramic? Not that that can't be ok!

I've never had a 3pu LP, but have always wondered about that middle pickup. I typically love in between positions, so we'll see. Excited to see what it's all about!

Exactly! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

But yep, the UDs are ceramic pickups; they're really great ones though. I definitely prefer them to Super Distortions or Gibson 490/498s for example. Also, I've heard of some people swapping in Alnico 2/3/5 magnets in for a bit of a different sound depending on the output of the original Greco humbucker (there's a couple types that are wound pretty hot), could be worth a shot to see what happens.

I love having a 3rd pickup on LPs, it adds to sounds you can get out of your guitar and MAN it looks awesome. I'm excited for you! Congrats on snagging this guitar, it's seriously badass.

86runner

Reaction score
Well now I'm really intrigued. The seller sent me a few more pics and this one does appear to be solid, or at least different than many of the ones I've seen.

He confirmed that it's solid and sent a pic of a semi-hollow, in which you can see the center seam of the veneer. This is what I'm used to seeing:

Semi Hollow EG600.jpeg

Then he sent a couple more pics of my guitar:

My EG600.jpeg

My EG6001.jpeg

I've asked him for a pic of one of the sides to see if it's pancake construction. I'll report back when I find out!

Attachments

• bd6ldv8hblv5n2utwwe5.jpg
    bd6ldv8hblv5n2utwwe5.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
  • bmhrd09zgmegfnm6fbef.jpg
    bmhrd09zgmegfnm6fbef.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 12
  • qyxbcqiszxydo0do7k1e.jpg
    qyxbcqiszxydo0do7k1e.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

86runner

Reaction score
Just got pics of the sides. It does appear to be pancake construction, though it doesn't look like it has a layer of maple in the middle. Just looks like 2 pieces of mahogany glued together. I guess this is typical of this model? Interesting.

My EG6002.jpeg

My EG6003.jpeg

86runner

Reaction score
Yes, that's how my Aria pancakes are too.

Thanks Roxy! Just from hanging around here a bit, it seems you're one of the resident experts on MIJ guitars! How was the price on this one? It seemed cheaper than most that I've seen? Hoping I did ok!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I would say you did well on the price compared to the others I've seen.

86runner

Reaction score
Well, I can't believe it, but it was delivered today. They shipped it on Saturday from Japan. That's quicker than most carriers are delivering anything these days. Might as well have been Amazon Prime. Amazing.

Anyway, it's a beauty! It's in better shape than it looked in the listing. I sourced a pickguard for it, so that's on the way. I'll post up some more pics tomorrow.

Latest Threads