1978 Wine Red Left Handed Custom: Overpriced or just right?

Greco

Reaction score
Hello,

On Reverb, Essex Recording Studios have a beautiful 1978 LP Custom in Wine Red. The Guitar shows its age and was clearly loved by its players. However, I do have some concerns about the price and condition. For starters, the cracks clearly shown on the top of the guitar. Seller says that it is just the finish but Id like to ask you guys about that. Second, the pickups have been swapped out from the T-Tops to era correct DiMarzios. Third, the pickup rings have been replaced with gold ones. Fourth, while I'm sure the neck is fine, I'm more concerned about the headstock. I really wanna know what you guys think as I would love to try and get my hands on this guitar. I'll upload the images and post the Reverb link. Hope you guys can help!!

Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/34277485-vintage-gibson-les-paul-custom-1978-wine-red-left-hand-handed-lh-70-s-guitar

Attachments

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
LOL....sorry man, that is not even in the ballpark for a 1978 Custom with those mods....

T-Tops rule right here and will be somewhat costly to replace.

seams showing through the finish etc.....it happens.

Guitar looks fine, just not $4160.00 worth of fine.......LOL!

It is worth around $2500 or so depending....I would want to inspect etc.

It is not even approaching a 4K guitar.

Some people think Lefty's are worth a little more, I get it, but how much more??

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Why are you concerned about the headstock based on the pics here??

A few years back I got my 1975 from the US. Obviously I paid a LOT for shipping downunder, but the cost was $2700US for the guitar. Now mine too had aftermarket pickups. In my case I got a set of Tom Holmes PAF clones (maybe that I could sell for $700) so I won out over buying T-tops to put in again.
I also got a bit lucky, as many of the lefties at the time were going for over $3k for about the same age.

I can't tell what your local market is in the UK. But if its anything like Aus, then the over $5000Aus$ amount that the website converts it to when I look at it is probably about average. Stupidly expensive of course, but thats par for the course.
The only downside is the price you'd then have to pay if you wanted to put in original T-tops.

davestp1

Reaction score
My 78 custom has some of the same cracks, it is simply where pieces of the top were glued together and they become more apparent as the paint shrinks etc. Mine is a 4 piece top. Nothing to worry about. They are not cracks in the traditional sense.

Moby Dick

Reaction score
I had a ‘74 custom that had separation of the top seams. Les Paul rule of thumb,
it’s never ‘just the finish’.
That’s a $1500 guitar tops.

Greco

Reaction score
Why are you concerned about the headstock based on the pics here??

A few years back I got my 1975 from the US. Obviously I paid a LOT for shipping downunder, but the cost was $2700US for the guitar. Now mine too had aftermarket pickups. In my case I got a set of Tom Holmes PAF clones (maybe that I could sell for $700) so I won out over buying T-tops to put in again.
I also got a bit lucky, as many of the lefties at the time were going for over $3k for about the same age.

I can't tell what your local market is in the UK. But if its anything like Aus, then the over $5000Aus$ amount that the website converts it to when I look at it is probably about average. Stupidly expensive of course, but thats par for the course.
The only downside is the price you'd then have to pay if you wanted to put in original T-tops.
I’m located in the US, not the UK. Looks like plenty of people have sent in offers, but he keeps rejecting them. Average market in the US is $2,600 to $3,600. With the condition it is in I’d imagine if it’s around 3k not including tax and shipping. But I don’t usually deal with old Gibson so I like to hear it from you guys.

Greco

Reaction score
LOL....sorry man, that is not even in the ballpark for a 1978 Custom with those mods....

T-Tops rule right here and will be somewhat costly to replace.

seams showing through the finish etc.....it happens.

Guitar looks fine, just not $4160.00 worth of fine.......LOL!

It is worth around $2500 or so depending....I would want to inspect etc.

It is not even approaching a 4K guitar.

Some people think Lefty's are worth a little more, I get it, but how much more??
Going be hard to inspect unless I buy it (Need to save a bit lol) but I agree it’s not near 4K. So the question is why isn’t he overpricing it so damn much. I don’t think I could offer $2,500 considering the prices on the market place it lowest at $2,700. Suggestions if I was going to make an offer. Also would you guys call it in very good condition?

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok, I'd thought it was a UK market....the Essex name.

For the US there is no need to play guitar seeker. There are plenty about even in LH to immediately dismiss (or not even bother considering more accurately) something way outside the pricerange. Obvious player grade guitars will often give you a clue that its a great instrument, but they have to be priced as such, not over the top of the market.

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
This is a UK seller and you’re a US buyer right? Why bother? Seems to me the US has plenty of options and don’t you pay import duties on this?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would pass....... a passed around studio guitar is a pass for me........ modified at that price is a pass for me..... shipping from the UK is a pass for me..... i can't find a lot here that would inspire me to spend that kind of money.

I own a 1978 and a 1977 Custom that are great guitars,.... in player grade condition they should be a great deal. Lefties are out there for less than this in way better condition. Save some grief and money and spend a little time searching for a better guitar.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Note...my prices and valuation is because it is in the UK and a Lefty 78 Custom with aftermarket pickups......everyone I talk to says prices are more there.

If all the pups are all that is missing/wrong, I think it is worth $2200 if it were a righty...I added $300 for the lefty deal.

In the US as a righty $1800....as a lefty maybe $2k

I also do not see this as "monkeyed with" if that is all the pups are all that is wrong.

I am sorry you had that problem @Moby Dick, but the Les Paul rule of thumb, is exactly the opposite....it is almost ALWAYS just the finish.

I had a ‘74 custom that had separation of the top seams. Les Paul rule of thumb,
it’s never ‘just the finish’.
That’s a $1500 guitar tops.
no one would sell you that guitar for $1500 unless they were in desperate need,.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Note...my prices and valuation is because it is in the UK and a Lefty 78 Custom with aftermarket pickups......everyone I talk to says prices are more there.

If all the pups are all that is missing/wrong, I think it is worth $2200 if it were a righty...I added $300 for the lefty deal.

I also do not see this as "monkeyed with" if that is all the pups are all that is wrong.

I am sorry you had that problem @Moby Dick, but the Les Paul rule of thumb, is exactly the opposite....it is almost ALWAYS just the finish.

no one would sell you that guitar for $1500 unless they were in desperate need,.
I can see that the tuners are Grover replacements,.... swapped out pup rings...... replaced pickguard.... brass nut...switch tip..... just cosmetic stuff.

Maybe a newer bridge as it doesn't look like it was ever intonated.

Besides the noted pup replacement.....definitely not the correct case. Just a few of my observations.

Last edited:

bblooz

Reaction score
..........Some people think Lefty's are worth a little more, I get it, but how much more??
IMHO, Leftys are worth less, because there's a smaller market for them. I'm constantly changing/swapping guitars, so I usually buy with the likely disposition someday in the back of my mind. Thus, I try to stay away from anything that will be hard to move if I need $ fast. My $.02.................

ARandall

Reaction score
^ No there are far, far less guitars around than people who want them. Plus the new cost of lefties is higher to start with....sometimes a LOT higher.

Unless you are actually a lefty and spend your time looking for possible purchases either new or used, you really don't appreciate the market at all.

Greco

Reaction score

The plastics are definitely different as NO Les Paul ever came with gold plastics. Tuners are possibly different but I thought during the 70s Grover’s were used. And of course there is significant wear on the finish. I’m from the US and I wanna get a reasonable price for a vintage Les Paul that would make me and the seller happy.
Really appreciate all the help but it seems I should be around the $2,500 mark.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Late ‘70s LP Customs have Gibson branded Schaller Tuners. Here is my 1978 Custom with its original tuners. The Custom you are interested in has the original holes of the Schaller tuners still visible.

2D00E9A6-B8C2-4D6D-94AD-A8084DFBFE8C.jpeg

8A874F8E-CF03-4834-9EA6-1FE095F219D2.jpeg

This is not really a deal breaker as Grovers are often common replacements and original equipment... just not on this instrument. No harm no foul here.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Lefty's are worth more...smaller market but also a smaller number of production...by a LONG shot...see @ARandall 's post......I also thought we all knew the plastics were changed with the pups, so no big surprise there.

Gibson DID use some grovers during that time, but the fact remains, those have been changed....you have to really blow the pic up to see it....something I did not do to begin with, I just took the OP's word that the pups were the only issue.

It is NOT a $2500 guitar in the US........again, it is worth between $1800-$2000 in the US, IMHO...

there's no way for you two to come to a real agreement on it that will be fair, if you consider shipping and fees.

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Lefty's are worth more...smaller market but also a smaller number of production...by a LONG shot...see @ARandall 's post......
But why? Seems like easy money for Gibson then to address that market... use the manufacturing capacity for more lefties instead of flooding the market with righties that resellers sometimes struggle to sell.

Or no wait ...

forget what I said. I’m right handed so keep on making them to prevent my prices from rising!!

Latest Threads