1978 Les Paul Standard

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
those were not PAF stickers.....They were Tim Shaw PAF stickers.

FWIW, I think the finish is original, I am just not 100% about the headstock etc.

BTW, I have seen Silverburst's with a "bursted" neck, and some will have a burst headstock, and some will have a solid color on the headstock........so I really do not think you can go by that.

The MIUSA is probably there but I would verify with a blacklight and that will take care of the issue.

However, if we all agree that 4K is a stupid number, does it really matter?

Last edited:

Moby Dick

Reaction score
those were not PAF stickers.....They were Tim Shaw PAF stickers...

However, if we all agree that 4K is a stupid number, does it really matter?
Yes,
Shaw PAF sticker on the pickup ring was what I was referring to.

It only matters if you would consider buying this guitar.
The asking price is what really doesn’t matter.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for the tri-burst, I would probably go look at it.
I just don’t care for the tri-burst particularly would not pay a premium for a guitar I don’t love.
Prices have been really escalating around here, at least asking prices.
There was a 1984 Les Paul custom offered for $4k recently and the listing is no longer active.
Doesn’t mean it sold but the ad did say firm and it was near mint with the PAF stickers still on the pickup rings.

New Customs are quite pricey ........ Custom Shop and all that... but the older ones ('70s & '80s) in mint shape can draw interest and a higher number..(still less than a new CS Custom).... Standards not so much.... they are still a regular USA product.... and tons of nice ones around.

Moby Dick

Reaction score

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would bet that the made in usa stamp is there...... just extremely faint like my Custom,.... the nitro finish doesn't sink into the impression. ;)
IMG_1894.jpg

you can barely make out the M and the A if you look really close..... if you follow where the S in gibson on the tuner straight to the right on the headstock you'll see the M.....

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That's what I think....it is there.....if it is not, there is a real problem.

They were all stamped after 1970.

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
If this were a 100% stock, clean 1978 Standard, it would be worth somewhere between $$1850-$2250.
Your theory about the Grovers is incorrect.
+1 on that price, also I didn't know that Gibson had guitars come factory with Grovers (need more research next time) all the examples i saw had Klusonish tuners, I apologize for the misinformation.

The price is stupid high.......

I have a 1978 Custom where the "Made In USA" stamp is almost invisible.... But it is there..... Only at certain angles can i make out a couple of letters,... but not the whole stamp. Some good pics of the control cavity and pick-up routes will help to determine if it had been refinished..... i think it's original, but that is only my opinion.

Without better pics...... my best offer would be $1600... confirmed original $2k....
+1 on the price being too high, my 1979 LPC also has a very light "Made in USA" stamp as well. I also agree with the price that you would offer! nothing over 2000 IMHO

Heppe

Reaction score
How about the back of the headstock, is it completely black? It should have a burst matching the back of the neck. And as pointed out Grovers is not stock.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Purely speculating on a worst case based on the missing 'Made in USA', maybe it has a really well repaired headstock repair that required a refinish of the black color and they had serial number stamps but no 'Made in USA' in that shop.

Missing Made in USA stamp is fairly typical for late 70s Kalamazoo made Les Pauls like this one. One of the differences between Nashville and Kalamazoo production. Bigger and more pronounced volute is another one.